Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crossed another "Line in the Sand?"

Quote Originally Posted by azim17 View Post
    I dont know if triggered is the right word, it makes me kind of sad.

I always thought of GS as an "adult" game that was a long haul for ultimate satisfaction and reward. I realize the horse left the bard years ago, but yeah, straight up for cash in your face kind of sucks. I liked the fact that I had to "work" at it. Fully realize im likely in the minority, but thats what made GS different to me. It wasnt quick, it wasnt easy and if you wanted relative power you had to earn it and even engage in RP sometimes.
    People have been buying characters since forever and other things they didn’t “earn”
    standing between the living and the dead

I dont know if triggered is the right word, it makes me kind of sad.

I always thought of GS as an "adult" game that was a long haul for ultimate satisfaction and reward. I realize the horse left the bard years ago, but yeah, straight up for cash in your face kind of sucks. I liked the fact that I had to "work" at it. Fully realize im likely in the minority, but thats what made GS different to me. It wasnt quick, it wasnt easy and if you wanted relative power you had to earn it and even engage in RP sometimes.
    You don’t have to buy xp yourself. Seems like the main thing here is jealousy against those who are willing to open up their wallet.

I agree you could buy gear and chars that you didnt find or create...but it was a side hustle between players. It wasnt the company running the game putting it out there in a vending machine. At the point of offering at events, why not put it on the simustore? Put capped chars in the simustore.

I definitely dont begrudge anyone who wants to pay for it at all. Its their experience and their fun. If simu puts it out there for the taking, people will take it and you cant call them wrong for doing it.

Personally it feels like it cheapens the experience of the game and why GS is different/better than other games.

I agree you could buy gear and chars that you didnt find or create...but it was a side hustle between players. It wasnt the company running the game putting it out there in a vending machine. At the point of offering at events, why not put it on the simustore? Put capped chars in the simustore.

I definitely dont begrudge anyone who wants to pay for it at all. Its their experience and their fun. If simu puts it out there for the taking, people will take it and you cant call them wrong for doing it.

Personally it feels like it cheapens the experience of the game and why GS is different/better than other games.
    You contradict yourself here. No idea how this cheapens anything.

To be honest, the time it takes to level up is stupid and always has been. You do realize these XP orbs are a drop in the bucket compared to the 7.5MM needed to cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Fortybox View Post
    No idea how this cheapens anything.
    I understand exactly what he is saying. I'll bet ya Kerl does, too. I'm certain there are others.

Slippery slopes are a logical fallacy and all but:

- simucoin store released, briefly had RPAs and ROBBLE ROBBLE FROM PLAYERS. they take them out and say they won't ever sell exp for cash ever again. For serious.

- some time passes, rpas start becoming standard as uncommon rewards for simucoin events

- the new double exp reward debuts at RW

- year later, now straight low-tier RPAs

I agree the pricing still makes it not really feasible to be a real impact (it's something like 400 exp per dollar via some quick napkin math), but it's pretty clear they keep probing what the playerbase will tolerate for this particular revenue stream.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

I think it cheapens the value of things like premium. The justification for shelling out 40 bucks a month gets stretched pretty thin in the face of the ala cart menu. I think that right now the people managing the game are trying to have their cake and eat it to in that regard.

Ultimately an influx of x increases the supply of x and thereby reduces the value of x. People who've been participating in the robust Gemstone player market, should have realized by now that the market has become largely inverted, and should consider that when deciding how to spend money.

Ultimately when everything is readily available, everything is worth less.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

I sort of struggle to see what they're accomplishing with it. How much money can they REALLY be making off of it by itself?

Honestly SIMU has done the best job in a long time with development, and combined with what I imagine is just a lot of bored people due to COVID has had us see some of the largest influx of returning players in a long time. Granted that was on a 3 free months of premium basis for a large part, but at least in my case they're going to get some additional subscription months out of me for sure. They have to be making substantially more off of subscriptions as a result of improved development than they are off of overpriced EXP orbs. And given the rest of the garbage at RW, people have clearly demonstrated a willingness to shell out thousands of dollars for useless fluff. I just don't see the reward of eroding away the integrity of the game here.

But who knows, maybe i'm a naive idiot. Perhaps there are people out there dropping thousands of dollars for a few quicker levels.

And here I am with my wizard that's irked when I can move him through a level in roughly 2 weeks simply due to hunting to build his enchanting essence with Lumnis active every week. Roughly 11+ hours to get his essence filled for the week and he's eating through 40-45K experience each week.....he was until I started popping LTE like pills.

Moving up in levels can be entertaining or rewarding for some and an irritation for others (like me, because I'm odd). If folks want to drop money on boosting their exp gain, by all means, let them. I doesn't impact me in any shape or form. Let them throw away money for something so trivial....they're probably the same people that purchased horse armor for their horse when Bethesda released the first purchasable DLC for Oblivion. Meaning, they're going to spend their money on stupid stuff (stupid to me) that they feel has some kind of value.
    Last edited by drumpel; 06-22-2020 at 11:11 AM.

10. Default

Btw, is there a new 3 mo coupon code now ? Is the summer 3 mo premie still happening or covid3mospecial?