Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Taking Offers on Premium Point Blocks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adred View Post
    I think you are mistaking a buyout offer for a bid.
    I don't think she is. I've seen folks publicly or privately post buy out offers to see if anyone wants to counter before. It just speeds up the time line. Instead of once, twice, whatever it just becomes... Done at this time if no counters.

Either way, her auction. She can do what she wants.
    Last edited by Gelston; 10-27-2017 at 03:25 PM.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I don't think she is. I've seen folks publicly or privately post buy out offers to see if anyone wants to counter before. It just speeds up the time line. Instead of once, twice, whatever it just becomes... Done at this time if no counters.

Either way, her auction. She can do what she wants.
    That's precisely it. There were objections to my first block closing suddenly, so I wanted to give an opportunity to respond.

That particular objection was without foundation. As Gelston pointed out, you can do literally whatever you want.
    adred0111 (discord)

Nilandia can do what she wants. But if I place a BO bid, the point is "I'll offer what I think is an above-market price so that I can be sure I won't have to bid any higher or wait any longer." If the seller wanted to briefly shop for a counter-offer afterwards, I would expect that seller to clear it with me first. Maybe they did agree to that already.

If I place a BO offer and the seller started shopping for a better offer without discussing it with me, I would feel within my rights to revoke it and simply place an incrementally higher bid instead (like $1250 in this case). (Edit: And at that point, the seller would have to have a strong reputation, e.g. Nilandia, in order for me to increase my bid any further than that. I'd worry that anyone without proven ethical merchanting behavior would be tempted to go find a fake bidder to get me back to my buyout price, now that I've revealed a higher willingness to pay.)

Further edit: it seems pretty clear to me Nilandia was trying to be fair to everyone involved.
    Last edited by Goat; 10-27-2017 at 08:19 PM.
    [LNet]-GSIV:Glaves: "Dergoatean is swedish for Stillfront"

5. Default

I'll take a risk of appearing to change my mind, but I am going to accept the buyout offer that was made.

I apologize for any miscommunications. They were entirely my fault and my attempt at finding a fair way of dealing with the sale.

Both point blocks have now been sold. Thank you all for your interest!

So Nilandia, for what its worth, and it is a bit more work on your part, when it comes to this value item, you should take all bids in PM. It is your discretion on if and when to ask for public bids, otherwise just PM with the top bidders. It relieves the look of impropriety. So long as you are honest and forthright which I believe you have been during this whole transfer it would be much easier.

Dont sweat it of people hate either way, good sale, was more than I wanted to spend so that means you got a good deal!

Why? Because racecar.

No, she's had a buyout offer. It's an offer, not a condition she set. She's giving other people a chance to make one last, higher, buy out offer. Unlike a normal offer, it's not going to go back and forth.

Keep in mind a buyout offer originated by a potential buyer is NOT the same thing as a buyer meeting a seller condition. She's taking this 100% in a legitimate way. It'd be quite different if she herself had proposed a particular price was a buyout.

I thought it was all fine. I was more shocked by the price than by any sort of method employed. I'm wishing I had a pile of points laying around. Yay Nilandia.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Pereus View Post
    So Nilandia, for what its worth, and it is a bit more work on your part, when it comes to this value item, you should take all bids in PM. [...] It relieves the look of impropriety.
    Pereus, I don't see how taking private bids would reduce the appearance of impropriety. I know I'm more comfortable bidding on something that is receiving public bids. On the other hand, if I bid X on something and then the sller comes back with "CB x + 1m to private bidder" the next day, I might wonder if the private bidder really exists, or the seller is just taking a chance and trying to milk me.

How do you figure taking private bids makes things look more legit?

(In this case, it doesn't matter too much either way because no one doubts Nilandia's integrity. I'm suggesting it's a little shakier for a less-known person.)
    [LNet]-GSIV:Glaves: "Dergoatean is swedish for Stillfront"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    Pereus, I don't see how taking private bids would reduce the appearance of impropriety. I know I'm more comfortable bidding on something that is receiving public bids. On the other hand, if I bid X on something and then the sller comes back with "CB x + 1m to private bidder" the next day, I might wonder if the private bidder really exists, or the seller is just taking a chance and trying to milk me.

How do you figure taking private bids makes things look more legit?

(In this case, it doesn't matter too much either way because no one doubts Nilandia's integrity. I'm suggesting it's a little shakier for a less-known person.)
    I've never liked private bidders either. I give the benefit of the doubt, but if I'm ever in a bidding war and the other person is a private bidder, I'll usually quit bidding.