Page 6 of 111 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL players kneeling during National Anthem

1. Default

Something tells me Candor doesn't snap to attention while he's sitting at home watching the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Something tells me Candor doesn't snap to attention while he's sitting at home watching the game.
    Because the national anthem etiquette doesn't compel Candor or anyone else watching from home to do so.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
    (1) when the flag is displayed—
    (A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
    (B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
    (C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
    (2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.
    Key words being "all PRESENT." It doesn't say those watching from home.

And yes, I realize this isn't enforceable by law and is just etiquette, but that's sort of what we're talking about here.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 09-25-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Aww snap, even Tom Brady is getting in on it.

Quote Originally Posted by WaPo
    And, as the NFL’s leading player right now, would he actually say anything? He gave a hint Sunday, liking an Instagram photo posted by Aaron Rodgers of himself and three Packers players kneeling.

On Monday morning, after standing for the anthem and linking arms with a teammate, Brady was more explicit.
    “I certainly disagree with what he said,” he said in his weekly WEEI radio appearance. “I thought it was just divisive. I just want to support my teammates. I am never one to say, ‘Oh, that is wrong. That is right.’ I do believe in what I believe in. I believe in bringing people together and respect and love and trust. Those are the values that my parents instilled in me.”
    Last edited by Fallen; 09-25-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

Quote Originally Posted by tyrant-201 View Post
    Ya'll have way too much time on your hands if you're crying about professional athletes protesting during the national anthem. Let's make it clear that they're not protesting THE flag, or THE anthem. They're protesting inequity and injustice.
    That's the thing though.. whatever their reason for doing it... but sitting or kneeling or putting your fist up in the air during the National Anthem IS protesting THE anthem. Why not do it during halftime.. or do it on the field before the game.. or do it right after the game?

But if you are doing it during the anthem, you are disrespecting the anthem.

The whole point of Trump's comments was to increase turnout in Alabama's Senate runoff tomorrow. Trump knew that the press and some NFL players would go crazy over his remarks. The only surprise is that the players did not go further in taking the bait. Trump has invested his reputation in supporting Strange in the runoff. Polls show Strange behind slightly or significantly, depending on which polls you trust.

Standing with locked arms = Trump wins

Quote Originally Posted by Tenlaar View Post
    He's really riled up today, and still at it. Not acceptable! RATINGS!

Quote Originally Posted by tyrant-201 View Post
    I've never been one to put much stock in tradition or symbolic gestures. I think how you conduct yourself, as an American and a person, is a lot more important than showing deference to a song or a flag.
    I'm the same way actually. But when I'm asked to remove my hat and stand up with my hand on my heart while the National Anthem is played.. I don't do it specifically for me.. but for those people who DO put stock in tradition and symbolic gestures. It's like when I'm forced to go to Church for a relatives baptism or whatever.. when the Priest or Rabbi asks us to stand up.. I stand up. I don't kneel down or put my fist in the air because of whatever is bothering me that specific day. I stand up because the people around me believe in God or Jesus or Mohammed or space aliens and I don't want to disrespect THEIR beliefs.

It's called common courtesy... which people in this country have shown to have very little of.
    Last edited by Parkbandit; 09-25-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Wait.. you do?

Stop being stupid just to be stupid since time4fun isn't here anymore.

We don't need a fill in.

Blog Entries

Remember when the NFL was actually good like 40 years ago?

I do agree though, the US has oppressed these people by paying them 20 million dollars a year to play with a ball. The struggles are real!

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    Remember when the NFL was actually good like 40 years ago?

I do agree though, the US has oppressed these people by paying them 20 million dollars a year to play with a ball. The struggles are real!
    I want to be oppressed too.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible