Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Prime Day 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Ordered 23 & Me Health + Ancestry for 50% off.
    I thought about doing that one. I'd be curious what you think about your results when you get them.

Blog Entries

Ordered 23 & Me Health + Ancestry for 50% off.
    I did that back when it was $99 for the entire thing because they couldn't provide health results. Now they can and I have that too. It gives you the raw results too, so you can link it to stuff like Ancestry.com and MyHeritage and stuff.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I did that back when it was $99 for the entire thing because they couldn't provide health results. Now they can and I have that too. It gives you the raw results too, so you can link it to stuff like Ancestry.com and MyHeritage and stuff.
    Same price for me as well. Health + Ancestry for $100 bucks. Was looking to pull the trigger for a while and haven't seen a better price on offer. There are also sites like FoundMyFitness which will give you other means to filter your data for additional information (taken with a grain of salt, of course).
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

Same price for me as well. Health + Ancestry for $100 bucks. Was looking to pull the trigger for a while and haven't seen a better price on offer. There are also sites like FoundMyFitness which will give you other means to filter your data for additional information (taken with a grain of salt, of course).
    I've been thinking about the DNA testing thing too. Is this a good one? The thing that holds me back is that I don't know which brand to buy.

Oh, and I need an umbrella. Sadly, I left mine under my seat when I went to see Rent. My wife likes to sprint out of events before everyone else hits the door, and I forgot it in the rush.
    everan

trouble is a friend of mine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by everan View Post
    I've been thinking about the DNA testing thing too. Is this a good one? The thing that holds me back is that I don't know which brand to buy.

Oh, and I need an umbrella. Sadly, I left mine under my seat when I went to see Rent. My wife likes to sprint out of events before everyone else hits the door, and I forgot it in the rush.
    23andMe is good. It gives you a bunch of info, but also gives you access to the raw data, so you can put that into ancestry sites and stuff.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

23andMe is good. It gives you a bunch of info, but also gives you access to the raw data, so you can put that into ancestry sites and stuff.
    ^
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

A few years back, my father and I did 23&Me shortly *before *he passed away. We were surprised by a few tidbits in our ancestries. My sister refused to participate because she was afraid it would show he was not her father, hehe. His health report data came back after his passing and it was quite accurate; he had and died from issues that were listed high among the predispositions (this was before 23&Me got sanctioned). I also followed ours up with a subscription to SNPedia's Promethease for further analysis which was quite informative. The new-style 23&Me offers very little in the health department so Promethease is a suitable replacement for the information they can no longer supply, in my opinion.
    Last edited by ktig; 07-12-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: *missing words.

8. Default

[QUOTE=everan;1961862]I've been thinking about the DNA testing thing too. Is this a good one? The thing that holds me back is that I don't know which brand to buy.

It depends what you want out of it.

23andMe is good for genetic geneology as it has an actual chromosome browser - you can see where you match other people on the exact bits of chromosome and also see which DNA relatives you have in common to figure out what branch of the family they fall into. You can 'confirm' parts of your family tree with DNA with this. It's rather fun.

If you're just in it for the ancestry composition reports, I think any of them will work. Ancestry Composition is a fairly new science and it may be different than what you expected. They can't separate French and German ancestry, for example, as they mixed so much over the years - it just shows up as 'French and German'.

And with any of them, you can download your raw data and get health reports for $5 from Promethis or for free from Codegen.

You can also upload your raw data from 23andme to Family Tree DNA to get more DNA Relative matches.

There is also Gedmatch.com - it has a lot more ancestry calculators and fun tools to use your raw data with. It also allows you to compare DNA with people on other sites (Ancestry or Family Tree DNA) that may not have as robust of a chromosome browser.

Either way - I highly recommend. I've had months of fun with my results and I didn't even have one of those 'omg my father is not my real father' surprises that apparently happen to some people. (There was a big post just last week about some poor girl learning she had a sperm donor father with 23andMe.)

Thanks for the info, I think I'll give 23&me a whirl.
    everan

trouble is a friend of mine

10. Default

That's how Gelston discovered he was 40% African American and 20% cro-magnon.