Thread: Why can't I stay connected

Default Why can't I stay connected

I have had a ongoing problem for the last couple months where I keep getting dropped with the following message --

--- error: server_thread: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

My character seems to stay in the game, because when it happens while I am hunting I often log back in to find myself injured or dead.
    I have two accounts and it will happen on one and not the other, or both at the same time just randomly. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

I am on a laptop, wired, with fast internet. No firewall. No anything that could cause this. Running windows 10. Any other game works just fine. The internet works just fine. It isn't my router. I have tried to tracert play.net right when it happens and I get this (see screenshot). There has to be some way to fix this... at first it was just every now and then but now it is getting to the point where I cannot stay logged in for more than a few moments for hours at a time randomly through the day, every day. Seriously considering just closing out both my accounts because at this point I am basically paying for nothing. And I really enjoy this game! So help lol. Also all settings in SF are set to local for location.

https://s30.postimg.org/nx8m6t6gh/Untitled.png

I used to have issues with lich randomly freezing, Drafix advised me to create separate lich folders for each character.

After doing so, I haven't had any of the same issues as before.

I don't know that it will fix this problem, but it's worth a try.

I just tried using SF by itself, launching it from the website with no lich... and couldn't even stay logged in for three minutes

Do you have any other devices you can try using to eliminate your internet connection as the cause?
    Otherwise, I'd uninstall and reinstall the SF client or try the wizard client and/or even the web client to see if the problem keeps happening.

Maybe im misremembering, but wasnt there some issue with SF and saving your stuff locally as opposed to server side in settings that could cause you to disconnect? Meaning, you should save it locally.
    Last edited by Gsgeek; 01-15-2017 at 07:43 AM.
    "It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack. Not rationality."

the issue with SF and remote settings is if the connection to the simu server that stores your remote settings goes wonky when you're trying to connect, sometimes it gets confused and reverts settings to default, then overwrites your remote settings effectively wiping out all your remotely stored scripts/highlights/etc.

SF being shitty isn't going to make the rest of your internet connection be fine then make packets drop 10 hops away from your computer. Networking doesn't work that way.

This is something screwy happening downstream between you and the simu servers from the looks of things. i know some people have complained about their connection randomly dropping before and they all had Comcast if I recall. Likely not a lot you can do about it.

If you have access to a VPN or proxy, and you know....know what those are, I would be curious to see if you used those and your connection was more stable. As that would likely give you a different path to the game servers.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

He tried using his phone and had the same problem(even had new hops before entering simu servers/hosts). I figured it was a networking issue outside his control but it is looking like the problem exists on his laptop itself. Short of testing another device through the same two networks, it looks like something else is causing the connection to be broken.