Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Profanity... a terminal frontend

bump. my stormfront is crashing every day now. Going to give this guy a shot!

Will all my lich variables transfer over and such ? I imagine i might have to kill some scripts that are SF only?
    Last edited by Haldrik; 03-03-2016 at 06:37 PM.

lich variables are well, lich variables, so they don't give a shit what they're piping to. I can't really think of any exceptions offhand.

only things SF specific are things that try to create special SF windows which profanity doesn't have a handler for (uberbar, most prominently). If you want any of that functionality you'll have to edit the profanity.xml, potentially profanity itself, etc. to replicate that behavior. I really shoddily hacked in uberbar functionality with a lich script + profanity.[rb|xml] changes i could diff out. it's ugly but works.

One of the things that screws with me most often on public scripts is the RESPOND function in lich, it gets buggered by profanity and dropped to your terminal proper not the actual profanity ncurses display. Replace any instances of "respond" with "_respond" and it will work fine.

It took a little while to adjust but I don't think I could ever go back to wizard / SF at this point.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by Donquix View Post
    One of the things that screws with me most often on public scripts is the RESPOND function in lich, it gets buggered by profanity and dropped to your terminal proper not the actual profanity ncurses display. Replace any instances of "respond" with "_respond" and it will work fine.
    I have this problem if I use puts but respond does the right thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McGoohan
    I am not a number, I am a free man!

Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
    I have this problem if I use puts but respond does the right thing
    weird, i think puts screws up as well so i change them all to _respond or echo. I'm SSHed from OSX to a remote linux machine, wonder if source OS and/or just being remote to the lich box in general is causing the respond failure.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

Profanity ... does it support the XML stuff that SF does?

There are major things which were on my StormFront that I really miss in the user interface on Avalon!

1. Speech window
    2. Spell window (spells active, not a list of my spells)
    3. Clickable links. Even colored objects would be helpful, but there are are a few things that are just easier by clicking
    4. Uberbar
    5. Bounty window
    6. A working room description/objects window (This is SO busted with Lich in Avalon.)

I'm taking the temperature for this now before I do anything...

~L.
    Luxie's adventures (because I must write) plus some guests from the past at my blog:
    http://www.thebardess.com

!! All right, PROFANITY _runs_ on my new Mac, thanks to the excellent advice back in message 59 by Calael

So, now I have questions!

Since it's running in a shell window, I don't see any configuration options for it.

So ... my questions:

1. How to set default colors? I enjoy my Lich messages being subtle as much as the next person, but dark blue on black is not readable.
    2. Are there highlights?
    3. If there are highlights, can I import my SF ones?
    4. How do I scroll back?
    5. Is there a font or font size setting? I'd kill just for line-height...
    6. Can I make the thoughts area have more lines?

... I'm trying to think of what else I need to get Newsby and the TownCrier up and running on it.

~L
    Luxie's adventures (because I must write) plus some guests from the past at my blog:

* Colors/highlights/etc can be set using the config file for profanity. A default one is generated automatically for you if you don't have one yet. Look for a file called profanity.xml in the same directory. There's no automated way to 'import' your SF ones, but if I remember correctly stormfront has the capability to export your highlights to a text file. You could then probably do some search/replace magic to get them into the correct format for profanity's config.

Note that you could also write a script to do highlighting, etc for you by adding <color> xml tags to the xml stream. You can also do underlining. For example, I have a simple script which underlines all existences in room descriptions (a la stormfront) so that I at least have a signal as to what things I can interact with.

* Font size is controlled by your terminal application. Often Command + '=' will increase font size, and Command + '-' will decrease it.

* To make the thoughts area have more lines, you need to modify the layout within profanity.xml. It will take some tinkering because you'll have to reposition a number of things, but it should be doable.

* Scrolling is done with PageUp/PageDown on the current selected pane. To toggle the currently selected pane, use Tab.

Er ... PageUp/PageDown?!

Where do I find that?

I will dig into the config file ... how exciting!

Also, in case anyone cares, here's a quick and dirty bash script I use to run lich + profanity. Some or all of it may or may not be necessary anymore. Usage would be, e.g.: ./login <character name>

Code:
    kill_lich() {
      # run if user hits control-c
      sleep 1
      echo -en "\n*** Killing lich ***\n"
      kill $lichpid
      exit $?
    }

echo "require 'gtk2'" | ruby
    randport=$(jot -r 1  2000 65000)
    log_filename=$TMPDIR/lich-`date +%s`.log
    echo "Port: $randport"
    echo "Log: $log_filename"
    echo "ruby lich/lich.rbw --login $@ --without-frontend --detachable-client=$randport > $log_filename 2>  log_filename &"
    ruby lich/lich.rbw --login $@ --without-frontend --detachable-client=$randport > $log_filename 2>        log_filename &
    lichpid=$!

trap kill_lich SIGINT

echo "Lich PID: $lichpid"
    while true; do
      sleep 1
      echo "ruby ProfanityFE/profanity.rb --port=$randport --settings-file=profanity.xml"
      ruby ProfanityFE/profanity.rb --port=$randport --settings-file=profanity.xml
      if  [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        break
      fi
    done
    kill_lich
    Last edited by calael; 08-24-2016 at 05:48 PM.

I successfully logged into the character with Profanity, got around fine and all, but after exiting, there's no Profanity.xml file anywhere I looked.

Home
    Home/lich/ (where profanity lives)
    Home/lich/data (because it seemed likely...?)