Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather...

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Peppwyn View Post
    Okay what about a mechanic where you theoretically could be killed at any moment if someone was sufficiently lucky. Such as open rolls?
    [LNet]-You: "HEY JERIL"
    [LNet]-You: "How do you honestly feel about... OPEN ROLLS???"
    [LNet]-GSIV:Jeril: "I WILL CUT A HOLE IN YOUR STOMACH AND FUCK IT AS THE LIFE BLEEDS FROM YOUR EYES"

Okay what about a mechanic where you theoretically could be killed at any moment if someone was sufficiently lucky. Such as open rolls?
    I strongly dislike all versions of open rolls, positive and negative.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Only reason I would go open rolls is to allow for 'really lucky' events ... such as a level 5 getting a hit on a level 20? I am thinking of allowing combat to have open rolls in both offense and defense ... that way you could be really lucky and get a hit, or be really unlucky and miss. What do you not like about open roll systems?
    ~ Peppwyn

When Aragorn faced 1000 orcs, he was never hit. If we're talking like a level 5 doing 2 damage that doesn't mean anything, that doesn't bother me, but if it doesn't matter why bother implementing it?
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

If you had 100 level 5s ... that might kill you
    ~ Peppwyn

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    I think I can speak for Astray when I say Guild Wars 2.
    Technically Guild Wars 2 is "Buy-to-play" starting at $39.99 or cheaper on a steam sale. But the box price is a part of the revenue stream, where as Gemstone has no box price. This guarantees that for each new person playing the company is guaranteed a certain amount of revenue. That said, I'm not sure what benefit the current system has, other than to give established players something to explore. As it currently stands, I don't see how a "long term" MuD such as gemstone can offer this model in a better way without a new instance to quell the complaints of imbalance (which would defeat any purpose of bringing new players into existing instances). I think the point was to give people a taste so they'll reactivate characters, it worked on me!

Blog Entries

If you had 100 level 5s ... that might kill you
    Spike Thorn use to guarantee to hit for 2 damage or so. Theoretically you could kill anyone in the game if you got 100 rangers around. No one ever did this though, that I saw, and this was back when GS had over 1000 people on all the time.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Spike Thorn use to guarantee to hit for 2 damage or so. Theoretically you could kill anyone in the game if you got 100 rangers around. No one ever did this though, that I saw, and this was back when GS had over 1000 people on all the time.
    Heh hopefully you'd leave after the first 20 showed up.... Too many rangers in one place..
    Last edited by lichyen; 05-30-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Would you rather...

Or just e-wave.
    Last edited by Fallen; 05-30-2015 at 09:11 PM.
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

Started poking around this project again if anyone is interested.
    ~ Peppwyn