Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppy Linux

This gtk thing is always a little annoying. In 1.8 series it was just plain broken upstream, and by 2.0 it now needs a ruby gem. But in principle if you get the ruby gnome package it should work. However, it shouldn't actually be preventing lich from runnning, so there must be a deeper issue. (It just prevents narost from working in my experience.)

SystemRescueCD is a pretty good live distro I use a lot, though I've never run it from a USB stick. But it's gentoo based so I could at least help you debug better.

Translation: Sorry I've nothing helpful to add at this time.

2. Default

Well.. the debug file looks good, assuming you're logged in as root. A segmentation fault in Ruby while running Lich is pretty much always caused by GTK. However, if you didn't start narost or anything, there shouldn't be any reason GTK was being used yet, except for the Lich game entry that had already finished.

Try logging in without Lich by installing SGE in WINE, and making sure you didn't click install on the install tab of the Lich window. Hopefully it segfaults. If so, you'll just need to upgrade or downgrade WINE.
    Get Lich - Vote for Gemstone (topmudsites.com)

Well I did click on the install tab earlier. :/ One thing that is strange is even logging in at play.net when it brings up character selection doesn't even give me the choice of Stormfront or Wizard only the web client. Blech. More information real soon.

Well shit, using SGE runs lich same debug file.

New information, clicked uninstall on Lich. Game said it didn't respond, tried brute force no luck, however SGE login got me into game fine.
    Last edited by Seizer; 05-23-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Instead of new post just adding
    Semper superne nitens.

4. Default

If changing distros is an option, I'd recommend xubuntu. While I haven't tried every distro, I feel like ubuntu is the distro most aimed at those new to Linux or those who just want things to work automatically. It's what I install on friends and family's computers when I'm tired of removing viruses, and they don't even know what Linux is. You can boot it from a usb stick, with changes saved to a file on the stick. Also, Lich is developed on xubuntu, so it really should work. Of course, it should also work on Puppy Linux.
    Get Lich - Vote for Gemstone (topmudsites.com)

I will keep tinkering for awhile, I am really trying to learn my way around Puppy. If I get overly frustrated I may do that thanks for all your help Tillmen.
    Semper superne nitens.

Well through a lot of reading, learning, understanding, and a bit of screaming..
    I got it all to run properly using Puppy Precise.
    Tillmen, I did try and run Lubuntu and the experience was not good at all. The system bogged down hard, and something with the wifi driver/firmware made wireless connection spotty. Regardless, I got Lich to work! Thanks for bearing with me.
    Semper superne nitens.