Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I unreasonable?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    Weren't there a bunch of people screaming bloody murder about that change and threatening to quit over it?
    This happens every time Simu does something.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    This happens every time Simu does something.
    Min/Maxing is SRS business.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by everan View Post
    I guess I didn't realize we were talking about ALL your characters getting fixstats. I can see the case for maybe a lead character, but if you are asking for all those characters to get a fixstat, then yes, I think that is unreasonable.

On another note, I've been thinking about this whole premise. Are you saying that if you hadn't used your Fixstat going from GS3 to GSIV you would be entitled to it now? I didn't use mine and when I came back it wasn't available anymore so I just assumed it was too late. I, like you, have a handful of characters and I didn't use it on any of them. Imagine the benefit it would be for me to have it now when I can adjust them to maximize my end stats. I may just be confused, because I think there was another time when we got a fixstat, runestaff maybe? That could be the time I'm thinking of.
    I'm saying I never even played GSIV up until last month, unless you count logging in with one character, seeing that I had to re-allocate because it had switched to GSIV, then logging out without touching a thing. I never used a fixstat, I never changed any numbers in the character manager, nothing. Simu says they show that the characters were used at some point after that, I have no idea how or why, and have tried to guess, but really don't know. And to confuse matters, one of my characters was actually still in the re-allocation menu, so that's the only one I got to set how I wanted, of course he was one of the youngest and I wouldn't have minded much rerolling him, but whatever.

There are three accounts I reactivated, two were mine, one was my wife's. There were a total of 9 characters on those accounts, I believe.

4. Default

Good lord, people...

I did not rage quit because GSIII switched to GSIV. I had been playing less and less up until then, and when the switch tossed me into the character manager, I had no idea where to even start. It was simply a hurdle I didn't have the time or energy to figure out back then.

If I felt anything, it was left behind by the changes because I didn't have the time to keep up with them anymore. That was my own fault, not Simu's. This is probably a reason I kept paying for the accounts for a while afterwards, kept telling myself I'd find time one of those days to return to the game.

About the only thing I remember I had against the switch back then was that all of my character's roll totals were going to be forced quite a bit lower, was wondering why Simu didn't pick a roll total that was closer to what most characters had at the time, but it wasn't *that* big a deal. Kind of ironic now though, yes?

But...uh...

You did say that one of your characters was still in the re-allocation menu when you reactivated, indicating that YES, you had been given a change to re-allocate and didn't do anything. Based on the facts of what you presented, I think it is more likely that you had at one point tried out GSIV on your older characters but after the years have passed, the memory of doing so has slipped.

Additionally, you received an email stating that your account was actively being used during the transition and received confirmation that your characters' stats weren't automatically set and was set by whoever logged in using your accounts.

So yeah, I do think it's unreasonable for you to expect your characters to have free fixstats.

Here's why. You have been arguing for the free fixstats using the following reasoning:

1. I stopped playing when GS transitioned to GSIV. I couldn't possibly have set those stats
    - You already proved this is wrong because you said that you still had ONE character on your accounts that was still in the reallocation menu. You also received email from Simu confirming that your characters were actively used after the transition.

2. Maybe it was my kids set the stats on my characters. I can't remember.
    - Then you shouldn't have shared your account details if you're going to get upset over someone else mangling your characters X years down the line.

3. Simu should just give me free fixstats because I'm a returning player and they should be happy I'm giving them business.
    - Why should you be rewarded for reactivating your accounts after a X-year absence while those who have been paying for the accounts since the transition get nothing? I already said (as others have concurred) that you are not the only player who made mistakes with their stats. They dealt with it.

4. What's the harm in giving me free fixstats?
    - A common cry from those who want advantages without caring about fairness or balance. Yeah, honestly, that is rather a selfish complaint. If you're going to use a "it's just a game character that doesn't harm anyone" argument, then you should use it on your OWN situation. There is no harm in starting over.
    - Based on the email sent from Simu that you described, it sounded like they probably would have considered extenuating circumstances to grant a free fixstat to an account. Circumstances that your situation did not meet.

Anyway, maybe you forgot that you played during the transition and had been one of the group that went "This is stupid. Simu is ruining GS, I'm quitting and canceling all my accounts!"... ?
    Last edited by Sarika; 01-29-2013 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Had a redundant sentence. Added a smiley.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Talonhawke View Post
    The bard is my wife's character...
    Aww, no...

/disappointed

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by leifastagsweed View Post
    Aww, no...

/disappointed
    lol Sorry ;-)

... I'm really trying not to make the obvious comments about two women together.... damn, I failed....

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sarika View Post
    But...uh...

~edited for brevity since it's about two posts up~

Anyway, maybe you forgot that you played during the transition and had been one of the group that went "This is stupid. Simu is ruining GS, I'm quitting and canceling all my accounts!"... ?
    I think I've pretty much covered all this, but you aren't trying to be an ass about it, so here...

1. How does this prove me wrong? All it proves is that that character was still in the character manager like I figured all of them would be (I was half afraid they would have been deleted due to being in the re-allocater that long) Maybe it was because of a bug? Maybe it was because if someone did use my account(s) they didn't bother with that character, which I have to wonder about because even a silly level 5 character wasn't in the character manager. I would have had 0 inclination to try to use that level 5 and go through the trouble to figure how where to put their stats and train them, especially because my problem was I didn't know enough during the switch to even change my mains. Trust me, I did NOT use these characters after GSIV.

2. I'm guessing you don't have kids, but if you do, and they're older, I'm sure they've done something behind your back, or accomplished something that you have no idea how they could have done it. I never gave out my passwords to any of our kids, frankly I didn't trust them not to go "throw my stuff down the well" as an earlier poster said. Does that mean that I guarded my computer 24/7, well, actually I did keep it locked, but there are always those times when maybe you had to do something in a hurry or whatever so I can't say for sure it couldn't have happened that they logged in with stored passwords on my computer. Speaking of which, I'd be interested if Simu's logs showed the IP of whoever logged in after the switch, maybe I'll try asking them.

3. Why should I be punished with bad stats after coming back all these years later? If I had picked my stats, so be it, but I didn't...

4. You're back to my original question, you say it will harm fairness and balance.... how? If I was just selfish I wouldn't even have bothered to post, the thread was supposed to let me know what terrible results would happen from showing some lenience to players with a legitimate request for a change of stats. Again, a lot of players seem Simu-washed™ into only thinking of things in negative terms. Let's be honest, you wouldn't really care if they helped me out, and I wouldn't care if they helped you with something. I *want* players to be happy short of breaking the game.

4b. Um, no, let me show you something I just got from feedback earlier.. "This is simple. The mechanisms for changing stats are built into the conversion system from GemStome III to IV. They are not separate. They are not standalone. There is no simple way to do what you are asking for, and it has never been done for anyone after the change was completed. Even if I wanted to do this, I couldn't, and I don't because I would have every person saying, "you did it for this guy.""

Not only is that pretty flatly stating they've never done it, they won't even consider it. Is that the kind of response you're going to want someday if you need help with something? And look at the reason given, it translates into, "We don't want other people asking us for this kind of help".

Please, trust me, I did not forget the last time I played. I was not a big Simu hater, sure I had some issues which I think anyone at that time might. Coming back, I truly expected a few questions from feedback and then a way to change the character's stats, I wouldn't have expected that if I quit before because I hated Simu.

I'm really tired of people using the idea that just because someone is backing Simu's stance, they are somehow brainwashed by Simu. That is extremely condescending and arrogant of them to assume that people who, god forbid, don't share the same viewpoint are somehow mindless drones because they agree with Simu's stance: "You don't agree with me, therefore you must be some brainwashed Simu-fanboy/girl."

It's not just Simu, but I noticed people tend to have this elitist snobby mindset about other brands too. Similar to how I'm okay with Apple and Android systems, yet I'm somehow a mindless lemming because I don't despise Apple or Android (I mean yeah, Apple fans can be a little overenthusiastic, to be fair, but so can Anti-Apple groups). Or even music. I mean I don't make fun of people's taste in trance or metal music, why am I being judged just because I like One Direction as well as Queen?! I mean, seriously, RAWR!!!.....oops...Ahem. Sorry, elitist mindsets get me a little grumpy. Let me get back on track.

Like I said, and you may have missed what I was saying since I type too much: It is true, I would not care if Simu gave you free fixstats. However, I would think it is incredibly unfair for you to get it, and not others just because they didn't cancel their accounts for years and recently reactivated.

I'm confused by the email because aren't there fixstat potions available? Maybe he forgot about the existence of those.

But I agree in the sense that if he did it for you, he'd have to do it for everyone with a sob story and again, those people who have been playing and paying for GS for years get left out in the cold. You don't seem to see the problem that I can foresee occurring if you got free fixstats and others didn't. Or you don't seem to think it would be a big issue and are just brushing off what people are saying as "simu-brainwashed thinking".

I'm not saying you're wrong because I don't believe there are such things as right and wrong in issues such as this. It's just a matter of perspective and my perspective disagrees with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarika View Post
    I'm really tired of people using the idea that just because someone is backing Simu's stance, they are somehow brainwashed by Simu. That is extremely condescending and arrogant of them to assume that people who, god forbid, don't share the same viewpoint are somehow mindless drones because they agree with Simu's stance: "You don't agree with me, therefore you must be some brainwashed Simu-fanboy/girl."
    I find issue with this as well. Lots of times, people attempt to rally individuals against making a stand against Simu . . . and I'm not entirely opposed to that concept. Here is the problem though.

An individual rallies a large group of disgruntled players. What is the logical next step? The only real power we have over Simu is boycotting through account downgrades/account cancelation, causing them financial loss. However, I suspect Simu can't really handle a truly severe boycott, and the end result is more likely that Gemstone would just die.

A similar end result is accomplished when the response is "Just quit if you really want to show them how you feel". My position is that I may be annoyed, but I'd rather play the game as it is than destroy it/quit forever in a failed attempt to change one thing.

I wouldn't say I'm brainwashed by Simu, but they offer a product that I value enough to put up with a reasonable amount of crap. That said, I'm not afraid to call them on their crap, but I also try to keep it professional and I also compliment them on things well done.
    - dutifully, Kastrel Tyraegen Faendryl, the first freelance guildmaster of the Sorcerer's Guild