Quote Originally Posted by Kuyuk View Post
    Quoted just in case.
    Get back in the kitchen
    -Sheikh
    The Badass Bard

Gemstone Shattered: A game you don't have to play to enjoy

2. Default

Two things:

1) As was already mentioning, dealing with occasional an occasional 2 inches is very different from dealing with a frequent 10 inches or semi-frequent 2 feet. What region is this?
    2) What size area would they be snow-blowing?

In general, cheap snowblowers will wind up causing you more pain and agony than shoveling with a teaspoon.

Having said that, I've seen these things they use to clear train platforms lately that are like 8 inches wide. They're light and fast, and would be perfect for an older person blowing a small amount of now. I just have no idea how to even begin searching for them online.

Finally, are they overweight Asians like you? They might be cruising for heart attacks no matter what.
    "I am not a hater." - George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States of America

They live in DC. Before last year, the most the area had gotten in most years prior was 4-5 inches of snow. Last year was more than a foot on occasion, and today I think was 5 or 6 inches.

They're not overweight, they're just old (old enough to be Parkbandit's dad old.)
    Last edited by Stretch; 01-26-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Here's what Consumer Reports recommends:

Heavy Snow/Large driveways

Troy-Bilt Storm 3090 XP 31AH55Q
    Ariens 921022
    Troy-Bilt Storm 2840 31AH64Q
    Medium Snow/driveways
    Craftsman 88970

No matter what you get try to avoid one that has to be plugged in while in use.

After my dad had a heart attack my parents got a Toro Snow Curve 1800, and they love it. It is plugged in while you use it, so get your parents an extension cord if they don't have one.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Living in a cold weather state, I can offer some unique advice on this. Obviously they're not going to get a ton of Snow in DC, but when they do they're going to want to deal with it quickly.

The very best type of snow blower is a gas powered machine, but that has an electric start. So, instead of trying to get the motor to turn over at 630 AM by yanking on the cord like a lawn mower, you plug it into an extension cord and get it kicking, then throw the cord back in your garage and go about your business. It has the best of both worlds; it lets you have an electric start, but it also means you aren't tied to a cord (which can get very annoying when you're doing the back and forth motion of clearing a driveway).

-DrZ

Quote Originally Posted by DrZaius View Post
    Living in a cold weather state, I can offer some unique advice on this. Obviously they're not going to get a ton of Snow in DC, but when they do they're going to want to deal with it quickly.

The very best type of snow blower is a gas powered machine, but that has an electric start. So, instead of trying to get the motor to turn over at 630 AM by yanking on the cord like a lawn mower, you plug it into an extension cord and get it kicking, then throw the cord back in your garage and go about your business. It has the best of both worlds; it lets you have an electric start, but it also means you aren't tied to a cord (which can get very annoying when you're doing the back and forth motion of clearing a driveway).

-DrZ
    I support this message. you do NOT want a cord attached while removing snow.

Maybe for her own protection, she should let the snow pile up. If you can somehow ramify the whole old, blind, Asian and female situation, then I guess you could venture into snowblowers. For Chairman Mao.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anticor
    If you and Jar Jar Binks had a child it would rule the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Burrell
    Wikka wikka my nikka yo yo yo yo: CHECK IT. Tha thang in the thang and bedump bedump da BEBANG knowwhatIsayin?!

10. Default

Inspire.

Oh... snow-blower not snow-baller.

Well he blows too I guess.