Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Holmes to the Jets

I do realize he's suspended, but that hasn't stopped several other receivers with similar skill levels from making it happen. 84 yards per game is by no means beyond possible, and I could easily see him settling in from the outset with an offense that will be in desperate need of his abilities.

The moment Shonn Greene struggles to pound the ball (which he will at some point in the season), Sanchez will go to his comfort zone (deep seam routes and short slants through the cover two). Assuming Dustin Keller isn't the sole beneficiary of that change in offensive philosophy, I could EASILY see Holmes ending up around 900-1,200 yards. Cotchery stands to gain absolutely nothing this year, and will probably get his usual looks, but Braylon Edwards is primed for epic failure (Randy Moss in Oakland type failure... or Braylon Edwards in Cleveland type failure, anyway).
    Death is depressing; AestheticLife in 2012!

So the Jets who finished 31/32 in passing yard totals for last year are suddenly about ready to break out?

Even if opening the offense brings them upto a league average of approx 3500 yards lets see what we've got. 65% (high end approx. for WRs) of 3500 is 2275 yards.

You think Cotchery will remain about the same (800 yards) so that leaves 1475 yards for the balance of the WRs.

If Braylon Edwards returns to his "Cleveland Type failure" of approx 60 yds/gm (Randy Moss Averaged 54 with Oakland) that is 960 yards over 16 games leaving Holmes only 515 yards to split with the remaining members of the team and that doesn't even look at his suspension.

Obviously I played a little fast and loose with the numbers but it's pretty clear that your expectations don't add up.

The Jets would need to go from 31 of 32 to like 1 of 32 and throw for 4500 yards (x.65 = 2925 - 2275 = 650 additional yards for receivers or 41 yards per game x 11 games = 447 yards for holmes in addition to the previous 515 (962 yards total) assuming no other Jet WR caught the ball besides Cotchery, Edwards, or Holmes).

Of course again this all changes if the JETS trade for Colt Brennan and therefore dominate the entire universe.

That's usually what happens, career screw-ups immediately turn it around when people they have no relationship with want them to.
    While you do have a point, Braylon hasn't knocked anyone else out since last year. Didn't Ray Lewis spend a few years in jail? I haven't heard anything about him pulling any shenanigans. Ricky seems to have cleaned up a bit in Miami also. It's certainly possible. It's also a contract year for him, and cash is always a good motivation to turn things around.

For the record, I don't expect him to have 1000 yard season. He's missing four games, and it's a new offense. Oh yeah, and they will probably still be running the ball 65% of the time.
    Last edited by Guarrin; 04-13-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Of course again this all changes if the JETS trade for Colt Brennan and therefore dominate the entire universe.
    Sanchez + Scott + Greene + Cotchery + 1st Round Pick + 1st Round Pick + Player to be Named Later, and MAYBE they get him.

If that ever happened, the Jets could probably claim to be the World Champion for REALZ, not just the NFL Champ! I'm talking GLOBAL DOMINATION!!!1!

Really though, Brennan is a terrible fit for the offense they run. Don't squander talent!

Quote Originally Posted by AestheticLife View Post
    Sanchez + Scott + Greene + Cotchery + 1st Round Pick + 1st Round Pick + Player to be Named Later, and MAYBE they get him.

If that ever happened, the Jets could probably claim to be the World Champion for REALZ, not just the NFL Champ! I'm talking GLOBAL DOMINATION!!!1!

Really though, Brennan is a terrible fit for the offense they run. Don't squander talent!
    The Steelers traded Santonio and I don't have a pot dealer anymore.

In all seriousness, I agree, the Steelers could have and should have got more for him. I also understand all the reasons they did get rid of him, which were mentioned earlier in this thread. (Character, contract year, suspensions, Mike Wallace, Ben's situation, ect.) I seem to think he'll be a good fit on the Jets. Time will tell. Nothing but love for him, he'll always be my SuperBowl XLIII MVP.

In memory of Ken "Zzentar" Dumas.

Gibreficul

AIM = Lord Gibreficul

Blog Entries

Really though, Brennan is a terrible fit for the NFL.
    Fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    Methais isn't even on my level bitch.

Pfft. Stick him on the Vikings, and they'd be stellar.

I was upset at the Jets until the Dolphins got Brandon Marshall. We topped them both in quality of receiver and amount of character issues!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Drew's priorities - Merchanting > Roleplaying > Cybering > Being AFK > Cybering > Hunting
    (wrathbringer78) I think that's it. Viril is one big obnoxious ambient script.

Blog Entries

Pfft. Stick him on the Vikings, and they'd be stellar.
    Considering they're already stellar and possibly only lost to the Saints because of a terrible pass interference call in the NFC Championship Game I wouldn't say that's too much of a stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    Methais isn't even on my level bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Considering they're already stellar and possibly only lost to the Saints because of a terrible pass interference call in the NFC Championship Game I wouldn't say that's too much of a stretch.
    SO YOU ADMIT IT!

I win.