Thread: Mad Max

Default Mad Max

Thinking about picking this one up during the Steam holiday sale, wondering if anyone here has already played it.

It's at 66% off at $20.39....I've read all the metacritic reviews, and the Steam reviews, and I dunno...it looks pretty decent, but I'm concerned that it only has about 40-50 hours of content. Most of the reviews I've read say that your playtime can go beyond that doing side-stuff, but the overall game world is fairly small, and once you clear out the areas there's really nothing left.

Thoughts?

Seems pretty collectible heavy or I'd be more into it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thondalar View Post
    it looks pretty decent, but I'm concerned that it only has about 40-50 hours of content.
    Thoughts?
    Really? 40-50 hours isn't worth $20?

There's a LOT of side stuff to do, which I enjoyed doing for the most part, but don't get this if you don't like Ubisoft-style open world games. It's like that but the side-objectives are on steroids.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Blog Entries

That game was awesome. It had some bad bugs at release but they have all been patched. I highly recommend it for 20 bucks.
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Really? 40-50 hours isn't worth $20?

There's a LOT of side stuff to do, which I enjoyed doing for the most part, but don't get this if you don't like Ubisoft-style open world games. It's like that but the side-objectives are on steroids.
    Well no, I do like some Ubi games...I managed to put almost 200 hours into Assassin's Creed: Black Flag...from what I've read, I'm just worried that once I do the basic storyline, and take out all the bases and make them my own...there won't be anything left to do.

Eh, fuck it...I got like $120 of Steam gift cards for Christmas...I'll pick up this, Witcher 3, and...probably pillars of eternity and some other relatively old ones I never got around to playing.

Edit: should hold me over until the next Elder Scrolls comes out.
    Last edited by Thondalar; 12-30-2015 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thondalar View Post
    Well no, I do like some Ubi games...I managed to put almost 200 hours into Assassin's Creed: Black Flag...from what I've read, I'm just worried that once I do the basic storyline, and take out all the bases and make them my own...there won't be anything left to do.

Eh, fuck it...I got like $120 of Steam gift cards for Christmas...I'll pick up this, Witcher 3, and...probably pillars of eternity and some other relatively old ones I never got around to playing.

Edit: should hold me over until the next Elder Scrolls comes out.
    Hate to quote myself, but I feel it is necessary in this respect...

Mad Max (the game) is kinda weird...it's pretty basic...not a whole lot going on as far as storyline, epic quests, etc....there are certainly some RPG elements, upgrading your guy, upgrading your car...individual combat is fairly easy, even before you upgrade Max all the way (which can be done before you even progress the main storyline too much) it's fairly basic. On a computer with a keyboard and mouse, you can completely destroy everything on foot fairly easily using only left mouse, right mouse, W, A, S, D, third mouse (clicking the roll-bar on your mouse) and space bar...

The "40-50" hours I took from various reviews, I've come to realize, only covered the base story quest line...while it is technically possible to complete in that frame, you'll have a pretty hard time of it if you don't do some side stuff along the way...one thing several reviewers mentioned that I also noticed...we get it, it's a wasteland...but it's a pretty shitty wasteland...other than the handful of neutral and/or friendly "strongholds", and the random wandering people to give some water to...there's nothing but bad people trying to kill you as soon as they see you.

Would I appreciate a bit more development on the story side of it? Hell yes.

Is it a fun game to play? Hell yes.

Is it mind-numbingly huge, with a ridiculously large cast and focused quests like Fallout 4 or Witcher 3? Hell No.

Played about 30 hours so far, went and got my V8...then went back and started clearing out GutGash's region...not even worried about Pink-eye for the time being, and I cleared all of Jeet's area a while ago. Car combat is amazing, even without cheating once you get the thunderpoon...I call it cheating because it isn't really needed other than getting some of the accomplishments...I've had a great many good times taking down the various convoys by picking off their defenders one at a time...I could just blaze in and thunderpoon everyone, but what fun is that?

Anyway, good call, Fallen (and Taer)...the best 20 bucks I've spent recently.
    Last edited by Thondalar; 01-11-2016 at 03:02 AM.