Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer cooling: Air cooling, closed liquid loop, custom liquid loop

Default Computer cooling: Air cooling, closed liquid loop, custom liquid loop

So what is everyone's two cents on PC cooling these days? Last time I bought a computer (5 years ago) it seems liquid cooling was all the rage and you were a dumb stupid head if you went with air cooling. Now I'm looking around and it seems air cooling has made something of a comeback, a lot of people say air cooling is just fine unless you're doing some heavy overclocking and in some cases air cooling is even quieter than some liquid cooling systems.

Seems like just the hardcore enthusiasts go for custom liquid loops these days and your typical gamer just sticks to air cooling.

Now part of the problem seems to be some people are just afraid to have liquid in their computers, and I can't say that I blame them. But I've had this computer for over 5 years now and it uses a closed loop system for the CPU and I've never had a single problem with it, no leaks and the pump hasn't died...yet.

Another thing that I think is nifty about liquid cooling is that it takes the heat from the source (like the CPU) and it vents the heat directly outside of your case, air cooling just moves the hot air from the CPU and moves it around inside of your case. Even if you have a system that blows air out of your system it seems like it would still be better to vent that heat directly outside of your case, seems like a liquid cooling system would keep your entire PC cooler, even if just a little bit.

Anyone have any opinions on any of this? Has anyone ever used a closed loop or a custom loop? If so have you had any leaks? Do they seem quieter than air cooling? Has the water pump ever failed?

Blog Entries

Air cooling is fine for the vast majority of situations. Assuming all things being equal, water cooling is slightly more efficient than air cooling but unless you're running heavy OC, multiple GPUs, or have a case made of discarded wool sweaters you don't strictly speaking need it. I have a small closed loop H100i that has served me well for a couple of years.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    or have a case made of discarded wool sweaters you don't strictly speaking need it.
    So my computer case made out of old ugly Christmas sweaters isn't a good thing?

I always heard that the cooler you can keep your computer components the better chances they have of lasting longer, however I can find no actual proof of this, it seems like it's just a theory that everyone passes around.

I know overheating your components can be bad for them but assuming your components always stay within safe ranges is there really any difference between a component running at 160 degrees or running at 90 degrees?

Blog Entries

That's the general consensus, I don't think anyone's ever really done any quantitative testing on it though. Things like the cpu have built in protections in place that either slows them down (unless OC'ed) or BSODs them. As long as it's within safe limits put forward by the manufacturer you should be fine.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Liquid usually requires regular maintenance, and you can't go cheap on the components or you can get leaks. I'm really lazy, so I've never bothered. I buy expensive fans that are quiet and push a lot of air.
    Looking for: krodera items, the gleaming krodera long knife, oldstyle katanas

August 20, 2006
    >just ban
    You are currently banished from Wehnimer's Landing.

>ask clerk about citizen
    The clerk says, "Hrrrm, Mogonis, you do seem to be eligible for full citizenship. Just WRITE your name in the book if you wish to make it official."

>write book
    You sign your name into the citizenship registration book, fully agreeing to the duties and privileges full citizenship provides you.

Yeah I was worried about the maintenance with a custom loop cooler. I have a closed loop now and that has zero maintenance but that could also be a bad thing because even though the system is designed to not need any refilling within the warranty period you really have no way of knowing if it's running low on coolant or anything, and even if it is you can't do anything about it except replace the thing.

Custom loops apparently require regular maintenance to make sure the coolant level isn't getting low but from what I understand they make refilling the things really easy these days, usually just a tube you pour the coolant directly in to. Also they make coolant these days that supposedly only needs replacing every 2 years.

Man this computer shit moves so fast, I can never keep up.

Air cooling is fine with the proper setup; however, I've always built my rigs with all in one closed loop coolers...because I just dont have the time or the patience to do a full loop and setup with a full custom liquid solution. I've been buying AiOs for awhile and I OC my machines, they keep em nice and frosty for a decent price.

Just generally spread ice around on the floor.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

I just use the radiator from a 1973 buick converted to a run an open liquid loop, the exhaust from the motor causes headaches but the PC is cool!
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

Blog Entries

Just submerge everything except mechanical HDD's and DVD drives in mineral oil.