Thread: Need some forging advice

Default Need some forging advice

I was looking to use a current character, or making a new character, and get into forging weapons. Though I am not sure what profession or class to choose. I did see some info on the wiki but much of it is unknown, or maybe the wiki page is out of date? Is any info known about the missing data in the charts below? I'd prefer to have a gnome be my crafter as it fits my current theme.

Code:
    Race		Crafting	Forging
    Burghal Gnome	 ?	 	?
    Dark Elf	bonus		small bonus
    Dwarf		bonus		small bonus
    Elf		bonus		small bonus
    Erithian	 ?	 	?
    Forest Gnome	 ?	 	?
    Giantman	+0		+0
    Half-Elf	+0		+0
    Half-Krolvin	 ?	 	?
    Human		+0		+0
    Halfling	+0		+0
    Sylvankind	handicap	small handicap
    Code:
    Profession	Crafting (Grinder)	Forging Handicap	Assembling (Vise)†
    Bard		significant handicap	?	 		?
    Cleric		significant handicap	?	 		?
    Empath		significant handicap	?	 		?
    Monk		+0	 		?	 		?
    Paladin		small handicap		-5			+0
    Ranger		+0	 		?	 		?
    Rogue		+0	 		?	 		?
    Sorcerer	significant handicap	+50	 		?
    Warrior	 	?			-5			+0
    Wizard		significant handicap	+50	 		?

Forging is one of the most fun and rewarding aspects of the game that you're sure to enjoy. Hard to say about gnomes but pretty sure dwarven warriors are probably the best overall forgers.

The most important thing is your crafting bonus, as that will help with your final check for perfect.
    Last edited by Mobius1; 03-08-2022 at 12:09 PM.

It's hard to say if one profession/race is really that much better than others.

Sure there are some bonuses and/or handicaps, but with how crummy the RNG can be, you might not really notice a difference.

My dark elf wizard is mastered on crafting, ohe, ohb and thw. I mastered those before the recent changes to forging to make it easier to obtain ranks. There are times I can get 3/4/5 best pieces hammered out in a row and other times I can go through 40+ blades before I see 1 best piece. On average it seems to come down to around 12-14 blades I get a best piece.

The same can be said for crafting handles/hilts. Sometimes you'll get 2/3/4 best pieces in a row or go through dozens and dozens of attempts before you get 1.

The same can be said for using the vise, even after you start a Gift of the Gods (eonak), you could have 24 sets of blades/hilts and end up with zero perfect weapons or you could walk away with 8. It is truly frustrating when you walk away from the vise when you had 24 tries at a perfect weapon and you end up with zero.

I also have a half-krolvin warrior that's mastered in crafting and ohe (and maybe ohb....or he's close, I haven't had him in the forge for a while) and I don't feel like there's really any difference in hammering out best pieces of crafting best handles/hilts or using the vise when compared to my dark elf wizard.

In the end, you probably wouldn't have much of a problem as long as you didn't go as a pure Sylvankind.

I guess a last piece of advice is to get enhancives to put on when you use the vise. You want +DEX and +DIS for it. Also, please note I edited my previous post. It's CRAFTING bonus that matters for the vise. Sorry, it's been ages since I forged (because it's awful and you shouldn't even bother unless you enjoy self torture or afk scripting violations.).
    Last edited by Mobius1; 03-08-2022 at 12:10 PM.