Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Continued DDOS Attacks

Damn. This is some major grudge to be taking the game down as well as the PC and lnet. I'm no expert but such a feat requires a lot of resources, yes?

Yes and no. You can do it by renting out botnets, which is not too expensive. You can also do it by convincing a community (4chan, anonymous, etc...) that it should be done. Or you can do it by yourself, which does require some know-how and effort.

Who has the energy to even hate something/someone so much that they go to all this trouble? I'm usually like .. RAGE I'M GOING TO ... TO ... fuck it, what are we having for dinner? Even if I had the resources, I would be done by the time I did a web search or whatever one does for these sorts of things.

I guess I'm old.

Quote Originally Posted by caelric View Post
    Or you can do it by yourself, which does require some know-how and effort.
    Uh... no and no. You can buy a DDoS program that'll do it for you these days. It simply requires an IP.

That would be a DoS, which is much easier to defend against than a DDoS.

Meh. I just wonder what the point of this is. You don't really do anything but take the site down for a bit. Which is inconvenient but not at all something a rational adult would care about.

I can fill my time doing other shit till it eventually comes up.

SIMU went down at the same time (both DR and GS), so it is someone who has a grudge against the whole community (such as it is). I blame that Vanmar guy from DR. You know, the one who bought out the phareceutical company and raised the price of the AIDS drug by 750%? Apparently, he was a DR player, bought a high level character, went on a griefing rampage, got banned, bought the Smelly Cat forums (PC equivalent for DR) and ruined them, and such things.
    LOL, Is this true?

8. Default

Yes and no. You can do it by renting out botnets, which is not too expensive. You can also do it by convincing a community (4chan, anonymous, etc...) that it should be done. Or you can do it by yourself, which does require some know-how and effort.
    Botnets can be cheap but sustained attacks, especially ones at 10GBps are expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if the person has spent a few thousand dollars at least.
    Last edited by Androidpk; 10-12-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Botnets can br cheap but sustained attacks, especially ones at 10GBps are expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if the person has spent a few thousand dollars at least.
    That's probably a pretty good estimate as to the price spent.

Everyone knows it's Candor.