Thread: What is it this time?

Blog Entries

Default What is it this time?

So what happened this time?
    2013 PC FF Champion

Ross#9505 on Discord

Quote Originally Posted by WRoss View Post
    So what happened this time?
    Kranar said in the unofficial unofficials that it was the same DDos attack but the server they had set up to combat the problem failed.

Blog Entries

for why?
    2013 PC FF Champion

Ross#9505 on Discord

Didn't say specifically. This is what he said exactly...

Hey everyone, currently the forums are subject to the usual DDOS attack. As you may or may not know the PC is almost constantly subject to one attack or another and unfortunately the proxy that has been use to protect against the DDOS failed. Work is underway to either use an alternative proxy to guard against the DDOS or reconfigure the current proxy. At any rate the forums may remain down for another day.

As usual thanks to everyone who notified me and thanks to Buckwheet for providing an alternative where updates can be posted.

So it's the same person or persons that have always been doing it.
    Last edited by Viekn; 10-06-2015 at 09:24 PM.

The same problem as usual. In fact technically the DDOS proxy is still down so the PC could go offline again any minute.

Some time in mid-September the DDOS Proxy Server stopped working for reasons I still haven't been told about yet and then I guess in early October our nefarious pal noticed that and decided to DDOS the forums again. The DDOS Proxy Server is basically what allows the site to remain available even in the face of a DDOS. It's basically a 10 Gbps shared proxy so if someone wants to DDOS us they'd need to REALLY hammer us and the cost to them to sustain a 10 Gbps attack would be quite substantial, far more costly than it is for me to protect against it.

The only reason we're back up is well... obviously people are justifiably angry at me over this, so I channeled much of that anger to the host, since after all it's pretty crummy that the DDOS protection failed and I wasn't told about it, and so the host moved us over to another server but I figure it's only a matter of time before the new server gets targeted again.

The host is working on getting the proxy fixed.

One complaint was that no one knows my contact info. I became aware of this problem on Sunday night, which was about a day and a half after the DDOS attack started, so of course an e-mail on Friday could have likely saved a day or two. Given how important it is for the site to remain available continuously for stuff like merchanting, if anyone has an issue with the site you should always feel free to contact me to let me know if you have connectivity problems.

My e-mail address is kranar@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kranar View Post
    obviously people are justifiably angry at me over this
    I'd hope note. It's not like we're paying you to manage these forums for us, that'd be a different story. We always appreciate your hard work. Was just a minor inconvenience. Now for the nefarious pal of ours, that's where the anger is directed.

Blog Entries

I blame Dionket/Doug. That dude really dislikes the PC and it came up a few times on the officials.
    Last edited by Fallen; 10-06-2015 at 09:55 PM.
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    I blame Dionket/Doug. That dude really dislikes the PC and it came up a few times on the officials.
    Doug's a complete douche, but I don't think he is both smart enough, and dedicated enough (or rich enough) to pull this off

Hey K, thanks for getting it back running. Can you please just make sure that you have a contingency plan in case something happens to you so we don't lose 15+ years?

Really appreciate your effort in bringing it back, saves everyone a lot of anxiety!
    Chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caelric View Post
    Doug's a complete douche, but I don't think he is both smart enough, and dedicated enough (or rich enough) to pull this off
    This.

It's Andraste. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
    Last edited by Taernath; 10-06-2015 at 10:54 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.