Page 349 of 593 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349350351359399449 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,490 of 5926

Thread: Things that made you smile today (Political Version)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    So why did 61% of them vote for him in 2016? It's not like he's changed since then.
    My uncle is a Ladder Day Saint preacher, I'm pretty sure he voted Trump. I know I don't see him changing to a democrat any time soon, which is actually ironic in historic terms.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

So why did 61% of them vote for him in 2016? It's not like he's changed since then.
    That number is lower. Time4fun is actually correct on this and now I feel all gross because of it.

3. Default

78% of that same group voted for Romney and 80% voted for Bush in his second term.

We're talking about a 20 point drop here from a group that has been an extremely reliable Republican voting bloc for decades.

So they already had their distaste for him playing out in their voting. There was an extended point in 2016 where there were genuine questions about whether or not Utah would vote for Trump- his support was very low up until the end. But many of them did "come home" to the GOP vote in the end- just far fewer than has traditionally been the case.

Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    78% of that same group voted for Romney and 80% voted for Bush in his second term.

We're talking about a 20 point drop here from a group that has been an extremely reliable Republican voting bloc for decades.

So they already had their distaste for him playing out in their voting. There was an extended point in 2016 where there were genuine questions about whether or not Utah would vote for Trump- his support was very low up until the end. But many of them did "come home" to the GOP vote in the end- just far fewer than has traditionally been the case.
    Part of it was due to the Evan McMullin thing. The reason why he was popular was because of what you say but IMO had he not run that 20 point drop would have been higher for Trump. They wouldn't have voted for Hillary.

Blog Entries

And yet they didn't dislike him enough to vote for Clinton, who only got 25% vs. Obama's 21% the previous election. They are still reliably Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortybox View Post
    That number is lower. Time4fun is actually correct on this and now I feel all gross because of it.
    I'm looking at exit polling data, what are you looking at?
    Last edited by Taernath; 04-21-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

6. Default

And yet they didn't dislike him enough to vote for Clinton, who only got 25% vs. Obama's 21% the previous election. They are still reliably Republican.

I didn't say they liked Clinton- I said they didn't like Trump. I didn't make any arguments about their Democratic support. As it happens, they were given a release valve- a third party candidate to vote for instead. Without him, many would likely have stayed at home.

And apologies for throwing out numbers and not sourcing them.

They're from Pew's Religion Forum.
    Last edited by time4fun; 04-22-2018 at 12:05 AM.

I didn't say they liked Clinton- I said they didn't like Trump. I didn't make any arguments about their Democratic support. As it happens, they were given a release valve- a third party candidate to vote for instead. Without him, many would likely have stayed at home.

And apologies for throwing out numbers and not sourcing them.

They're from Pew's Religion Forum.
    They would not have stayed home. Good grief...your logic...

Now I disagree with you. Thank goodness the world is normal again.

Not what I meant. I meant to say that I agreed with her initial assessment because the number was lower. She was right to point out why the number was lower is all.

Blog Entries

I didn't say they liked Clinton- I said they didn't like Trump.
    Nope.

Trump Approval Highest Among Mormons, Lowest Among Muslims
    Last edited by Taernath; 04-22-2018 at 12:17 AM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Evan McMullin gave them a 3rd option, which is why his numbers are down.

Where time4dumb is wrong is these people would NOT have stayed at home. They would have voted Trump if McMullin wasn't on the ballot because not voting would have helped Hillary. That's what she doesn't get because she thinks Hillary is a Saint. Mormons would prefer a Trump in the White House than her. Plus voting is important for Mormons and while not necessarily part of the doctrine, is strongly encouraged.