Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Trump Eligible to Run Again?

Lightbulb Is Trump Eligible to Run Again?

Minnesota Supreme Court to hear arguments Nov. 2 in Trump ballot challenge

Led by former Secretary of State Joan Growe, group questions whether U.S. Constitution allows Trump on the ballot.

The state Supreme Court will hear oral arguments Nov. 2 on the bipartisan constitutional challenge to former President Donald Trump's presence on the 2024 presidential ballot.

More...

Here's the part of the Constitution in question..

14th Amendment
    Section 3.
    No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.
    I see two problems with challenging Trump's eligibility based on the 14th Amendment..

First, did he engage in insurrection or rebellion or give idd and comfort to our enemies? There's been no court case, so far, determining that he did. We know, though, that the drafters of the 14th Amendment did not intend to require a court determination of criminal guilt. This part of the 14th Amendment applied to Confederates, even though there was no plan to criminally prosecute them.

Second, was Trump an "officer" of the United States? That's the more difficult question. The only category of people to which Section 3 of the 14th Amendment applies that might include Trump is "officer." Is the Presidency an office? We will surely find out before the 2024 election! It should provide a fun history of the word "officer." I frequently hear people refer to the "office of the President." Personally, I think that's a modern use of the word, and I don't think the drafters of the 14th Amendment used the word "officer" as we use it today. I think people appointed by the President to positions of authority are officers, not the President himself.
    There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.

Shut the fuck up and quit being a ginormous attention whore.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    Shut the fuck up and quit being a ginormous attention whore.
    ^^ This
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie

Can Biden be involuntarily removed from office via 25th Amendment Section 4 since he is clearly incapable of performing his duties as President?

Maybe we should just let voters decide in the upcoming election and settle this the democratic way.
    Last edited by Suppressed Poet; 09-25-2023 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressed Poet View Post
    Can Biden be involuntarily removed from office via 25th Amendment Section 4 since he is clearly incapable of performing his duties as President?

Maybe we should just let voters decide in the upcoming election and settle this the democratic way.
    Wasn’t it settled last election?
    The idiot award goes to…

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    The Constitution is not the Declaration of Independence. (I'm not at all surprised that you don't know this)
    An hour later:
    Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    "That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government." ~ The Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Solkern View Post
    I should have been more clear. In 2024 let’s have a fair election between the Democrat nominee vs the Republican nominee. Let voters decide.

That being said, Biden’s mental decline has progressed over the last 3 years. I suppose that is my opinion but we have plenty of evidence every time he speaks. LL J Cool J is his boy with biceps bigger than his legs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    Here's the part of the Constitution in question..

I see two problems with challenging Trump's eligibility based on the 14th Amendment..

First, did he engage in insurrection or rebellion or give idd and comfort to our enemies? There's been no court case, so far, determining that he did. We know, though, that the drafters of the 14th Amendment did not intend to require a court determination of criminal guilt. This part of the 14th Amendment applied to Confederates, even though there was no plan to criminally prosecute them.

Second, was Trump an "officer" of the United States? That's the more difficult question. The only category of people to which Section 3 of the 14th Amendment applies that might include Trump is "officer." Is the Presidency an office? We will surely find out before the 2024 election! It should provide a fun history of the word "officer." I frequently hear people refer to the "office of the President." Personally, I think that's a modern use of the word, and I don't think the drafters of the 14th Amendment used the word "officer" as we use it today. I think people appointed by the President to positions of authority are officers, not the President himself.

Are you incapable of reading the English language?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Solkern View Post
    SP is arguing that Trump needs to be left alone to run regardless of his multiple felonies and disqualification under the 14th amendment. Remember, Republicans think that politicians, whether they are or are not in office, can't be held accountable under the law. Unless they're Democrats.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    regardless of his multiple felonies
    List the felonies he has been convicted of....

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    SP is arguing that Trump needs to be left alone to run regardless of his multiple felonies and disqualification under the 14th amendment. Remember, Republicans think that politicians, whether they are or are not in office, can't be held accountable under the law. Unless they're Democrats.
    Poster is functionally retarded and despite the FBI under Biden declaring it was not an insurrection and there being no felony convictions and the 14th Amendment specifically not stating the POTUS while the Constitution as written clearly specifying the requirements that Trump does in fact meet, continues to persist in his delusion that somehow he can not run. You have to wonder why, after all of this, they are still so afraid of trump winning?

I can't wait for Eps and the other government plants start going to prison and singing.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie