Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Use of verbs

I also have about 15-20 verbs that express my character fairly well, coupled with my sig verbs. I often keep up the wiki with the two verb pages to remind mysself of 3rd person messaging for the ones I use less frequently like sylvan verbs... but I also find myself using GLANCE HELP, GAZE HELP, LAUGH HELP and GRIN HELP to remind myself what's available.
    You slap Walkar's cheek, hard.
    He continues, "I've decided that I'm not going to let you serve community service, so don't get your hopes up. To this aim, you may either pay the fine of 50000000 silvers plus any other outstanding debts you may owe, or serve a total of 120 minutes of incarceration. You may ANSWER me either FINE or INCARCERATION as your choice. But I digress. Choose quickly, now, lest I hold you in contempt of court for wasting my time."

This has been really interesting for me. There is no magic pill or special technique to accessing the verbs it seems. We all remember the few that work specifically for our character. I think having read all the comments here I am going to simply: 1. go over the list of verbs again:
    2. Incorporate some verbs into the more commonly used scripts I use
    3. Prepare some of the verbs in advance for special events like poetry reading
    4. Try and memorise a few more verbs - perhaps a few every so often - that I can just use as part of normal RP and that meets the needs of Bremerials (enhances her character)

To be honest #4 is what I was always taught to do when learning a foreign language - just memorise a few words and phrases each day and practice them. Perhaps this ultimately is the way to do it.

Thanks all. Very helpful indeed.
    Bremerial God'thor

Valinda accepts Aneris's embalmed puppy.
    Valinda blinks.
    Valinda frowns at an embalmed puppy.
    Aneris accepts Valinda's puppy pelt pantaloons.
    Speaking to Valinda, Aneris says, "Thanks again.... I'll be back with more dead puppies if I happen tah find yah around."
    Valinda says, "Nooo."
    Valinda exclaims, "Ive filled my dead puppy quota, sorry!"

This has me thinking, does the ACT verb get much use outside of those "special" moments?

I do use Act occasionally. It is useful. But for every two acts I use there is usually one verb I can't remember that will do something similar to what I want.

I've got round it this way. I've created a stormfront script called: 'respond' which brings up lists of some of the key verbs I may want to use. So:

Put beg help
    Put grunt list

Etc etc

Done this for about 6 key verbs that provide me with ample choices. Saves me typing and I can just click on the suitable link to the variation of the verb I want that meets the situation. Of course it brings up an annoying scroll of verbs and their options but as only I can see this, and as it helps my RP, I will put up with it. If I find a less crude way of doing this I'll let you know...alas I am no scripter!

So far it's working pretty well to be honest.
    Bremerial God'thor

Valinda accepts Aneris's embalmed puppy.
    Valinda blinks.
    Valinda frowns at an embalmed puppy.
    Aneris accepts Valinda's puppy pelt pantaloons.
    Speaking to Valinda, Aneris says, "Thanks again.... I'll be back with more dead puppies if I happen tah find yah around."
    Valinda says, "Nooo."
    Valinda exclaims, "Ive filled my dead puppy quota, sorry!"

Blog Entries

I used act in known company. As you can take liberties with it I didn't like to make use of act in crowds unless it was pretty tame. Same with smile.
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

I've gotten in the habit of doing a lot of goofy things in ACTS or, if what I want to do is like 3+ verbs I'd rather do ONE act vs spamming verbs. I hate spammed verbs. ><
    He continues, "I've decided that I'm not going to let you serve community service, so don't get your hopes up. To this aim, you may either pay the fine of 50000000 silvers plus any other outstanding debts you may owe, or serve a total of 120 minutes of incarceration. You may ANSWER me either FINE or INCARCERATION as your choice. But I digress. Choose quickly, now, lest I hold you in contempt of court for wasting my time."

You're just goofy.
    ---------------------------------

R.I.P. Sparkle Motion

Quote Originally Posted by Ceyrin View Post
    You're just goofy.
    Years of watching people walk into a room and hugging/smooching the same person 10+ times or everyone they've ever met once... it does things to you man. PTSD, verb style.