Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whirlin’s Guide to the current state of Wizards

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mogonis View Post
    Can we get one thing straight? To ward is to defend, guard against, lessen, mitigate, etc. When a sorcerer casts using CS, they are not warding. The target's TD is the warding part of the equation. Warding is defensive.
    https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Warding

Whirlin has a fucking monopoly on guides. Good read.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheet View Post

Allow pures to bolt from guarded and give wizards the ability to match CS warding margins with a new mechanism.
    Stance/empty hands/CHANNEL have had an impact on some warding spells for a while now. I don't know how effective the old GS3 era sorcerer is nowdays compared with one who makes full use of those abilities.

The points you and Whirlin brought up about CS having no upper limit and bolting requiring more skills are good ones though.

Fuckin' A+ post Whirlin.
    Last edited by Taernath; 08-14-2015 at 06:28 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Is that supposed to be the authority on the matter? The author is semantically wrong, and what they wrote contradicts itself anyway. All they have to do is remove "Warding is a type of attack" from the first sentence. The author also doesn't know how to use "that" and "which" correctly.

This is a typical failure. The target succeeded in "warding off" the spell, thus the caster's magic has missed.
    This is what a typical success looks like. Note a success is when the target "failed" to ward the magic off, thus being affected
    Last edited by Mogonis; 08-14-2015 at 06:28 PM.
    Looking for: krodera items, the gleaming krodera long knife, oldstyle katanas

August 20, 2006
    >just ban
    You are currently banished from Wehnimer's Landing.

>ask clerk about citizen
    The clerk says, "Hrrrm, Mogonis, you do seem to be eligible for full citizenship. Just WRITE your name in the book if you wish to make it official."

>write book
    You sign your name into the citizenship registration book, fully agreeing to the duties and privileges full citizenship provides you.

All grammar Nazi issues aside, warding is commonly used in GS as both offensive and defensive. Let's not derail the thread anymore.

Commonly misused.
    Looking for: krodera items, the gleaming krodera long knife, oldstyle katanas

August 20, 2006
    >just ban
    You are currently banished from Wehnimer's Landing.

>ask clerk about citizen
    The clerk says, "Hrrrm, Mogonis, you do seem to be eligible for full citizenship. Just WRITE your name in the book if you wish to make it official."

>write book
    You sign your name into the citizenship registration book, fully agreeing to the duties and privileges full citizenship provides you.

Blog Entries

Commonly misused.
    Ain't nobody care.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Stance/empty hands/CHANNEL have had an impact on some warding spells for a while now. I don't know how effective the old GS3 era sorcerer is nowdays compared with one who makes full use of those abilities.

The points you and Whirlin brought up about CS having no upper limit and bolting requiring more skills are good ones though.

Fuckin' A+ post Whirlin.
    I always thought it was strange that bolting required spell aim yet you can't use the aim verb to target specific body parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post

Fuckin' A+ post Whirlin.
    While this is correct, I can tell you that 1106 in guarded is still deadly enough to not have the risks associated with going full offensive to cast 906. 1106, followed by 1101s or 1700s is early leveling now. At level 15 on a F2P level 7/8 stuff had like a 20% chance to hit my empath in guarded. This was with roughly a 120 guarded DS. In offensive that was more like 80. While I understand that neither 515 or 506 helps a level 15 bolting mage, I believe now it is almost cannon to "grab a claid and swing away until 30" or your free allocate is over.

If by allowing us to cast bolts from guarded they were as effective as guarded CS based spells and got boosted with channel, open hands, stance offensive they had higher DF that still doesn't solve the whole...gigantic damage to the hand without a critical effect and it doesn't address how bolting scaled with 3x spells. I believe my CS is like 510 or 518 at 3x spells. My bolt AS was like 460 with while melee players typically can generate an AS well over 500. Rangers/Rogues doing archery can hit 500 ranged as and that seems like a gigantic sweet spot in terms of AS/DS calculations. Wizards just wouldn't have the effectiveness of aiming those attacks.

So giving wizards the innate ability to match the AS/DS calculations of other ranged users along with giving them the safety net of being in guarded means maybe they aren't outright eye shotting everything they see because they are bleeding things out on occasion and they also have a larger saftey net with their own DS being higher.

Edit: Could also make rapid fire more like 240 and add in some lore component I guess. More lore more bolts cap it at 3 or something per cast, excluding 518.
    Last edited by Buckwheet; 08-14-2015 at 06:48 PM.
    Chris

Commonly misused.
    Grammar nazi: what English majors become when they get tired of saying 'would you like fries with that?'