Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alone, survivor show on History channel

I'll have to watch this show and see what it's all about.

I think I would take the following:
    1. Axe - Defense + build structure
    2. Ferro Rod - Easy fire starter
    3. 2 Qt pot - Water collection + able to boil water
    4. Paracord - Numerous uses
    5. Knife or Leatherman - Probably the Leatherman; self explanatory
    6. Tarp - Keep dry / use for water collection / etc.
    7. Fishing kit - Could probably do without, but hey why not. Hooks be good for stuff.
    8. Canteen (metal - not plastic) - Another water collection and boil apparatus
    9. Tarp - Keep dry again + if need to move from main camp can stay dry
    10. Sleeping bag - Might as well be comfortable, but honestly might trade this out.. as with tarps, solid building of a structure and fire (oh and all the clothes they let you take); would be fine as far as warmth.

1. Kina Grannis CD
    2. Walkman
    3. extra batteries
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    1. Kina Grannis CD
    2. Walkman
    3. extra batteries
    Bang on pots and pans if you see a bear in the area. Then you won't need your Kina noisemaker.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Maybe. But in those days it was known as The Hitler Channel.
    Hey, they took over that from the Discovery Channel.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Ker_Thwap View Post
    Bang on pots and pans if you see a bear in the area. Then you won't need your Kina noisemaker.
    Bringing pots AND pans on a survival show? Don't be absurd.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaps View Post
    I'll have to watch this show and see what it's all about.

I think I would take the following:
    1. Axe - Defense + build structure
    2. Ferro Rod - Easy fire starter
    3. 2 Qt pot - Water collection + able to boil water
    4. Paracord - Numerous uses
    5. Knife or Leatherman - Probably the Leatherman; self explanatory
    6. Tarp - Keep dry / use for water collection / etc.
    7. Fishing kit - Could probably do without, but hey why not. Hooks be good for stuff.
    8. Canteen (metal - not plastic) - Another water collection and boil apparatus
    9. Tarp - Keep dry again + if need to move from main camp can stay dry
    10. Sleeping bag - Might as well be comfortable, but honestly might trade this out.. as with tarps, solid building of a structure and fire (oh and all the clothes they let you take); would be fine as far as warmth.
    Explain the leatherman....? IE which model, what tools? I see absolutely no use for a leatherman multitool in the wilderness.

A pistol, some whiskey and a single bullet. Call me when this guy can survive on that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by AestheticDeath View Post
    Explain the leatherman....? IE which model, what tools? I see absolutely no use for a leatherman multitool in the wilderness.
    I haven't watched the show yet, so that would sort of sway whether I would want a knife or the leatherman, but I tend to lean towards multi-function items.. which the leatherman has. There are a lot of nice brands, but if get one might as well get the biggest one http://www.leatherman.com/super-tool....html#start=16 .

Mainly because, you never know what you will find in the wilderness and the tool would allow you to manipulate those items more effectively. Ever try bending or crimping metal without pliers? It's a pain. Want to skin/clean small animals or fish? Have a blade available. So that is why I would take one.

The sleeping bag, I would probably switch out for some other weapon type.. and the bow - though not ideal, if it has steel shafted arrows and heads would be very beneficial. Could take one of the arrows and craft a longer, sturdier spear with available wood. Leaving 5 functional arrows to use with the bow. Effectively giving yourself 3 weapons - axe/spear/bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    A pistol, some whiskey and a single bullet. Call me when this guy can survive on that alone.
    Was whiskey an option? Because I would totally take that.

I think the only two items on that multi tool you could use are the knife blade, and the saw - both of which are small, ill fitting in the hand etc. You shouldn't find much of anything from civilization in a contest such as this. I definitely wouldn't count on it, and take a multi tool for that purpose. But a swiss army knife would work better than a leatherman IMO. Depending on the model, you still get the blade, saw, tweezers, toothpick, awl, scissors, fork/spoon etc. Either brand is gonna net you a 5 inch or smaller version of the blade or saw, which means the saw is gonna get used on what amounts to twigs, rather than branches. I'd rather a fixed blade with 8-10 inches of length, almost a combat knife or machete with the 'proper' saw all along the spine of the knife. Some of the saws on knives are crap.

Although a couple of them did get 'lucky' and found stuff washed up on shore. One small spherical buoy, which I don't think he found a use for yet, and some guy found a glass bottle.

Tried finding something along the lines of what I am talking about - but so far I can only find bad examples. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvMUtgsR_y4 this is a bad example, as it wouldn't be very useful with that saw - teeth are too large, and not enough of them. But so you have an idea of what I am talking about.
    Last edited by AestheticDeath; 06-28-2015 at 12:58 PM.