Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sniping Ranger - GOS?

1. Default Sniping Ranger - GOS?

Background Information
    My Burghal Gnome Ranger - L50 - is currently in COL, though debating switching her to GOS and wondering the pros/cons of it. She's a pure sniping build: 2x ranged, 2x dodge, 2x ambush, 2x perception, 2x hiding, etc. My only worry is that I don't have any MOC, though could likely get a few ranks of it from my AG badge or something. She's usually pretty spot on at killing things with 1-hit eye crits from hiding, though, and figure I can handle with stealth, Camouflage (608), Tangleweed (610) and Mass Calm (619). It's how I handle bandits and it usually works pretty well, though not sure how it would transfer to GOS.

I've been debating this change for a while, as it'd give me another outlet of exp/hunting without having to completely uproot to a new town and try to find a proper hunting ground without being able to see maps (hardest part of playing this game blind - I'm limited to whatever areas I had memorized before I lost my sight and I hadn't gotten a character this high in level before.)

Questions
    1. Do any of the grimswarm disarm? I really don't want to risk losing my best bow.
    2. Do you suppose it's possible to attempt warcamping solo with this build? I realize some of the tasks can be done with stealth and unsure how perceptive grimswarm are in their warcamp.

2. Default

1. Grimswarm do not disarm.
    2. Warcamping solo as a sniping ranger is doable. The key things are target selection and being willing to run away from a bad situation. Having a full complement of outside spells makes it a lot easier. Having access to haste of some kind makes it a cakewalk.

For an ambushing ranger I recommend as much summon lore as possible and keep vine and swarm/breeze up at all times. I soloed my way through GoS this way with self cast spells only and really the only time I died was due to massive stacked round times from warcry and other cmans and the occasional implode.

I would concur with most the comments here. I would recommend trying to 2x PF for the switch to GOS if you can fit it in. But the great part as a Ranger in GOS, is you do not use CMANs to much for maneuvers, which allows you to run plenty of Sigils as you wish.

5. Default

Thanks for the opinions, guys!

I think I've managed 1.5x in PF at the moment, though should hope with Mobiles, etc., that maneuver evasion should be pretty good. As a gnome, too, my character's pretty quick. Think it's been a while since she got hit by a roa'ter maneuver, for example.

Think I'll try it out this weekend and see how I fare.

6. Default

Quick question,

Does sigil of major bane apply to the arrows one shoots as a sunfist archer, (ie heavy crit weighted arrows) or to the bow you are shooting with (thus providing sighting/improved aim)? Gut instinct always figured it was the former, not the latter. Anyone know? Don't believe the documentation on gswiki clarified it.

The arrows you shoot get weighting added to them.
    [LNet]-GSIV:Lysistrata: "And I'm pretty perfect sooooo... What can I say. I'm dedicated. (To Jeril's cock.)"

Another great sigil for archers is determination. It allows you to keep shooting even with arm wounds

9. Default

Definitely doing it for that determination sigil alone - there have been a couple times where I got injured in the arm and was effectively crippled except for Spikethorn.

I'm very interested to know how you play this game blind.