Thread: Random posts from other forums

Blog Entries

Default Random posts from other forums

I'm sure it works for most people, but problem persists for me.
    I've also stumbled across several posts by now with people saying they also have the issue.

I'm sure I could manually download the maps, but I'd really like to be able to try out maps from the Workshoop for convenience in the future too.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

As the ERE, I had far easier time than with the alans. I have to admit, as the alanni, I failed to defeat the hunnic stacks 1 on 1 on the open field, but in a war of attrition I finally killed Attila by enclosing/encircling him at the Carpathian mountains north of the the Danubius. Again, as the ERE, it was a much easier task. At this point I had almost everything except tagmata (and dromedarii and aux. palatina), but because the huns usually attacked without even waiting for their onagers and I placed my troops (also because of the reniforcements) at the edge of the map, I was usually able to take them out with some commando - scolae palatinae. My tactic was mainly: cavalry for the foot archers (rode down the uar archers), foot archers for the horse archers (I concentrated armored saggitarii fire on the devil archers instead of chasing them around the map), and hetaireia for the heavy infantry (my main line consisted of mainly armored legios, though). Naturally, I calculated with the fact that I will still have great losses, and that the huns love to gang up on the player with multiple stacks at once. Therefore I made two "hun-hunter" army groups each with 3 stacks of armies, and lastly one for reserves. So 7 out of my 10 legions all sit around Romula. This resulted in a 3 stack vs 3 stack battle that lasted around 30 minutes (more if I count the slow-mo microing), and after that victory I still had some seasons and a few bigger battles here and there to annihillate the huns, but at that point they lost the initiative; even wanted to make peace by giving me 2000 denarii.

Edit: I barely had any artillery in the 7 legions (one unit of heavy-, and one normal onager, after the first giga-battle I managed to capture a hunnic heavy onager), but I did bring around ~25-30% cavalry, mainly scholae and excubitores, but I did not use them too aggressively until I had at least local numerical superiority over the hunnic cavalry - with one exception: hunting down the onagers, sometimes with one unit, sometimes at all costs. After the hunnic army mainly lost his mobility, having cav was a serious advantage both by using them as shock troops and chasing down and cutting down the most fleeing guys possible.

...and one more edit: As the ERE, I had my legions trained by champions to at least one silver chevron, and also equipped them with silver grade ammo, weapons and armour, and also good horses. Not much, but every little thing counts, so I thought.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam