Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: So I wanna get a big kid job

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    They usually just confirm employment, so there's no need to call.

Jesus Christ GR, how did you get into grad school or your last job?
    She probably already knows all the answers but is looking for confirmation she is right because she has low self esteem.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Resume and references available upon request, if that is not sufficient, are you sure you want the job?

When I retired from the military and started looking for jobs all I gave was a resume. If they handed me an application to fill out, I stapled my resume to it and left it blank. The resume is more than sufficient for them to decide if they want to interview you. I have no intention of providing personal information to someone that is not offering me a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    They usually just confirm employment, so there's no need to call.

Jesus Christ GR, how did you get into grad school or your last job?
    Well, my last job I got because the owner also owns the store I was working at before this one, and I got that one by submitting my resume and meeting with the owner of that store... and grad school, had very clear directions for how to apply. I DONT DO WELL WITH LACK OF STRUCTURE. Actually, pretty much every job I've gotten I just walked in with a resume and gave it to the people. I've never had to fill out an application really...

also, I'm pretty sure I could figure this all out, but I'm PANICKING because IM SCARED OF BEING AN ADULT.
    Last edited by Gnome Rage; 03-28-2015 at 04:48 PM.
    I got that job, by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    She probably already knows all the answers but is looking for confirmation she is right because she has low self esteem.
    YUP

The way you handle getting a job when you already have a job is you give your current job two weeks notice when you get the new job (and you tell your new job you can start two weeks from the day you get the job). What you call non-confrontational is really more passive aggressive, but if you don't want to talk to your current boss about it when the time comes you can give him a letter instead I guess. Definitely don't just quit, either before or after you get the new job.

You can put internships in employment fields. I guarantee the counseling center cares more about those than your retail job.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome Rage View Post
    I would be completely leaving though. I want to apply for jobs that have benefits, monday-friday jobs, I want to see my boyfriend on the weekends, we get one day off together every 13 days and I'm sick of it. I'm sick of working at a retail job when I have a higher level of education than most of the people I know here. I'm sick of going to parties and people talking about how they're engineers and shit, with bachelors degrees and I sell fucking handbags with a Masters. I'm sick of being 80k in debt and having no realistic idea of when I will be able to pay that off.

I WANT A REAL PERSON JOB.
    What's your masters in?

Edit: Counseling or something? They're not going to give two fucks if you've sold handbags for 10 years, it doesn't mean shit. You have a specialized degree. As a cardiac RN I don't include my time at papa murphys under previous job history and neither should you.

Also, you must be insanely hot to get this far and not realize you can app without including your retail experience. Like, Kate Upton hot.
    Last edited by Alashir; 03-28-2015 at 04:53 PM.
    The only rude person I met was a taxi driver in kagoshima. I was going from the train station to the ferry to take it over to an island and was showing him my papers and he was like "oh, climb mountain?" and I'm like "hai, yep!" and he made a muscle pose(bent arm, whatever you call it) laughed, and rubbed my belly.. like "oh, no, you fat american fuck, you no get up there", but whatever - Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    Resume and references available upon request, if that is not sufficient, are you sure you want the job?

When I retired from the military and started looking for jobs all I gave was a resume. If they handed me an application to fill out, I stapled my resume to it and left it blank. The resume is more than sufficient for them to decide if they want to interview you. I have no intention of providing personal information to someone that is not offering me a job.
    Ha, that's a funny idea.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alashir View Post
    What's your masters in?
    Social Work, general practice--but I focused on adolescents and the elderly during my internships.

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    The way you handle getting a job when you already have a job is you give your current job two weeks notice when you get the new job (and you tell your new job you can start two weeks from the day you get the job). What you call non-confrontational is really more passive aggressive, but if you don't want to talk to your current boss about it when the time comes you can give him a letter instead I guess. Definitely don't just quit, either before or after you get the new job.

You can put internships in employment fields. I guarantee the counseling center cares more about those than your retail job.
    A+ helpful post

you're not required to give 2 weeks notice if the people hiring you want you to start earlier, but it falls under "professional courtesy." With a retail job as the only other employee I think one week is enough.

If you're still in touch (or even not in touch) with any professors, or anyone that oversaw internships, use them as references and get reacquainted with them if needed, they're probably better to list than your current boss as they're likely in the same field as you're applying.

If you need someone to look over your resume for formatting, etc., feel free to email me.
    PB: One day you'll need this number: 988.