Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: So I wanna get a big kid job

Default So I wanna get a big kid job

I'm concerned about telling my current boss that I'm looking for other employment, when I picked up the second job that I have, he kind of freaked out. When should I tell him I'm looking for a real-adult job, how do I do it?

:| I have a few applications I'm working on filling out, but I haven't submitted anything yet because I'll have to use him as a reference, obviously, and I know I need to tell him that I'm planning to leave.
    Last edited by Gnome Rage; 04-02-2015 at 01:33 PM.
    I got that job, by the way

2. Default

You have no responsibility to tell him anything.

And you don't have to tell him you're using him as a reference, either.

Just give them the *STORE* phone number, in the reference, so that they call and get you, and then you can field it as you want.

ETA: Tell him, when he's talking to them, that it was an application you filled out a while back, didn't even remember. Or something. Make a good excuse. ^^.
    Last edited by JackWhisper; 03-28-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome Rage View Post
    when I picked up the second job that I have, he kind of freaked out
    What? Typically if you give your boss forewarning, they'll sort it out by asking for a schedule. I've had two jobs before and both bosses were comfortable working out a schedule that didn't conflict or give me 5 minutes to go from point A to point B.

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    What? Typically if you give your boss forewarning, they'll sort it out by asking for a schedule. I've had two jobs before and both bosses were comfortable working out a schedule that didn't conflict or give me 5 minutes to go from point A to point B.
    I literally picked up a job on my day off. He always gave me Wednesdays off, so I picked up a job on Wednesdays, and he freaked the heck out. He was all scared I was going to leave.

His son is joining the military in a month, I am literally the only employee other than the owner and his mother.

I'm concerned about telling my current boss that I'm looking for other employment, when I picked up the second job that I have, he kind of freaked out. When should I tell him I'm looking for a real-adult job, how do I do it?

:| I have a few applications I'm working on filling out, but I haven't submitted anything yet because I'll have to use him as a reference, obviously, and I know I need to tell him that I'm planning to leave.
    You never tell your current boss you're looking for another job.

I would be completely leaving though. I want to apply for jobs that have benefits, monday-friday jobs, I want to see my boyfriend on the weekends, we get one day off together every 13 days and I'm sick of it. I'm sick of working at a retail job when I have a higher level of education than most of the people I know here. I'm sick of going to parties and people talking about how they're engineers and shit, with bachelors degrees and I sell fucking handbags with a Masters. I'm sick of being 80k in debt and having no realistic idea of when I will be able to pay that off.

I WANT A REAL PERSON JOB.

I literally picked up a job on my day off. He always gave me Wednesdays off, so I picked up a job on Wednesdays, and he freaked the heck out. He was all scared I was going to leave.

His son is joining the military in a month, I am literally the only employee other than the owner and his mother.
    Now, because I'm a scumbag, I'd say this other job is offering me more. If he couldn't give me a raise, I'd say "Sorry but I gotta give this other job priority then" and that's just me. And again, I can be a scumbag sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You never tell your current boss you're looking for another job.
    Even though I'm going to be putting him as a reference?!

I would be completely leaving though. I want to apply for jobs that have benefits, monday-friday jobs, I want to see my boyfriend on the weekends, we get one day off together every 13 days and I'm sick of it. I'm sick of working at a retail job when I have a higher level of education than most of the people I know here. I'm sick of going to parties and people talking about how they're engineers and shit, with bachelors degrees and I sell fucking handbags with a Masters. I'm sick of being 80k in debt and having no realistic idea of when I will be able to pay that off.

I WANT A REAL PERSON JOB.
    Have you considered faking your death? Also, you have a masters?

Blog Entries

Yeah, don't tell your boss you're looking for other work, particularly if you're quitting your current job for it. When you get the other job, THEN let him know.

If he's being used as a reference do what Jack said.

Even though I'm going to be putting him as a reference?!
    It's because bosses can make things go to shit for you depending on how petty they are. You do it to protect yourself.
    Last edited by Taernath; 03-28-2015 at 04:11 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.