Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The A-10 problem

1. Default The A-10 problem

Its not often I find myself agreeing with congress but in this case I do. USAF leadership is out of its goddamn mind by trying to retire their premiere close in support fighter while cramming the F-35 (which is looking like a complete disaster) down everyone's throat.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/m...orce/19085835/

Blog Entries

There is nothing wrong with these sexy planes.

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

3. Default

Keep telling yourself that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Keep telling yourself that.
    Tens of thousands of flight hours and only one accident which had no fatalities.... Pretty damn good for a brand new platform.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Tens of thousands of flight hours and only one accident which had no fatalities.... Pretty damn good for a brand new platform.
    Tell me about its combat capabilities.

Blog Entries

Tell me about its combat capabilities.
    People said the same thing about a lot of things before they were tested in combat. We'll see, but the Marines and the Air Force are very excited about them. The Navy is too, but I think they still prefer the F/A-18. Either way, those people know a lot more about their capabilities than either of us do.

7. Default

People said the same thing about a lot of things before they were tested in combat. We'll see, but the Marines and the Air Force are very excited about them. The Navy is too, but I think they still prefer the F/A-18. Either way, those people know a lot more about their capabilities than either of us do.
    Depends on who you ask. I don't think a single person on the ground would want to swap the A-10 for the F-35. We'll see though but for now I'm pretty hesitant about how it will fare. Even the F-22 has some glaring issues that could put our air superiority at risk compared to Russian and Chinese fighters.

Blog Entries

Depends on who you ask. I don't think a single person on the ground would want to swap the A-10 for the F-35. We'll see though but for now I'm pretty hesitant about how it will fare. Even the F-22 has some glaring issues that could put our air superiority at risk compared to Russian and Chinese fighters.
    Umm... My job was completely on the ground. I would have.

Besides, we have a fuck ton of attack helicopters which I'd take over an A-10.

Regardless, this is the last (supposedly) fighter will be creating that are manned. I think future generations of unmanned fighters will get through testing faster, seeing as they don't have to worry about pilot survivability and all that mess.

Blog Entries

I do have fond memories of seeing A-10s flying into Marjah glistening full of bombs and crap, and flying back out empty though.

10. Default

Umm... My job was completely on the ground. I would have.

Besides, we have a fuck ton of attack helicopters which I'd take over an A-10.

Regardless, this is the last (supposedly) fighter will be creating that are manned. I think future generations of unmanned fighters will get through testing faster, seeing as they don't have to worry about pilot survivability and all that mess.
    Attack helicopters have their role certainly but I'd take the A-10 over an apache or super cobra any day of the week. I'd also prefer flying one given their ridiculous survival capabilities. You're right about the unmanned bit though. We'll be augmenting our existing manned fighters with unmanned flying missile trucks. We have to. I can't remember the name of it but Rand and the Pentagon had a series of war game situations simulating an air battle in the Pacific between F-22s and Chinese fighter jets. They set it so every 1 missile from a Raptor destroyed a Chinese fighter while every Chinese missile missed hitting a raptor. The Chinese still won every time.