Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back after a long hiatus, giving Shattered a shot

Default Back after a long hiatus, giving Shattered a shot

Hi all,

Coming back after a long time because I heard about Shattered. I started a halfling wizard a few days ago and I'm having a blast scripting him. Way back when I was in my teens in the 90s, I learned the basics about coding back from Gemstone, and while I'm still less than mediocre at it, it's something I really enjoy.

I have a few questions for you guys. First, my wizard is about to become level 11 and needs some basic gear (4x leathers, some bags, maybe a staff, etc). Are the Playershops in Icemule my best bet?

Second, my script hunting order was going to be
    Rats --> Vysan --> Greater Orcs --> Large Ogres --> Fenghai --> Cyclops --> Glacier --> ?
    Is this reasonable? Even though it might be a couple of months down the road, any ideas after the glacier?

Thanks in advance. Also, while my hunting scripts are not great (there are probably several better ones lying around and I've heard amazing things about Bigshot), they do work and I'm more than happy to share them.

- Russ

I play a forest gnome sorc, and not a wizard, but I had a blast fucking shit up in Rivers Rest in my 40s. Shan would work, but the warriors disarm. So be aware of that if you use a runestaff. Then I moved to the marsh keep for a bit, then to stone valley for stone trolls and giants and then today I left for the glacier in Illistim to try it out.
    Always taking back the things I say and do
    Never meant to hurt anybody but some things inside just wont play it cool
    I wouldnt mind beating all of you black and blue
    So if you want me, Ill be in the corner holding back what i really think of you
    Before I go, theres just one last thing I wanted to say...
    Fuck You Anyway

Thanks for the tip. I should have mentioned in my last post that the highest I ever got was a level 35 sorcerer, so I've only the slightest idea what the creatures are like beyond that. And like I said, my coding is only mediocre (on a great day), so I'd prefer to avoid disarms / combat maneuvers if possible. Loot is also a nice benefit, but not absolutely necessary.

Any creatures in RR in particular that met those criteria? Looking at Tsoran's old map, the krolvin slavers and corsairs are very close within level, making them look like a good possibility...

Loot wont be an issue for you for long. I don't think the krolvin slavers or corsairs are very good to script because of the mechanics of the carrock they are in, but its been a while. Hisskra warriors, shamen,and chieftains should get you to late 30s though, then you can do the Miasmal Forest. Icemule is another option. Killing arctic manticores outside the west gate will get you through your early to late 20s, then you can continue on and kill Tundra giants and Storm giants in the same spot till your mid 30s or beyond. Then you can continue on to the glacier, or hunt frost giants,crones, and lesser ice giants outside the Icemule east gate. I didn't have much trouble with any of those creatures, but your mileage may vary.
    Fuck You Anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I should have mentioned in my last post that the highest I ever got was a level 35 sorcerer, so I've only the slightest idea what the creatures are like beyond that. And like I said, my coding is only mediocre (on a great day), so I'd prefer to avoid disarms / combat maneuvers if possible.
    Once you're in the 40+ range, you're not going to avoid maneuvers, so you might as well prepare to deal with them. You'll level fast enough in Shattered that I'd suggest working on/finding scripts for that now.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    Once you're in the 40+ range, you're not going to avoid maneuvers, so you might as well prepare to deal with them. You'll level fast enough in Shattered that I'd suggest working on/finding scripts for that now.
    This makes a lot of sense. I guess I was thinking back to two experiences with my dark elf sorcerer. First, when stone giants were level 28ish and extremely susceptible to dark catalyst, I used to take shots at them and I died roughly every other hunt from a combat maneuver. Second, I would occasionally hunt roa'ters with a group and I don't think I ever survived a single hunt; instead I was one-shotted by a CM 100% of the time. Thus I associate CMs with instant death.

Is this just how the game is past level 40? Or will I be able to hunt stuff that does CM, but only kills me a small %age of the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    This makes a lot of sense. I guess I was thinking back to two experiences with my dark elf sorcerer. First, when stone giants were level 28ish and extremely susceptible to dark catalyst, I used to take shots at them and I died roughly every other hunt from a combat maneuver. Second, I would occasionally hunt roa'ters with a group and I don't think I ever survived a single hunt; instead I was one-shotted by a CM 100% of the time. Thus I associate CMs with instant death.

Is this just how the game is past level 40? Or will I be able to hunt stuff that does CM, but only kills me a small %age of the time?
    They're not all as bad as the roa'ter attack. Boil earth from critters can be a bad deal, so you typically don't want to let casters with that in their arsenal to cast spells at you. The most common thing you'll run into is likely disarm. If you're a wizard, keep haste up and it's not a big deal. You'll want a script to pick up disarmed weapons, though.

I guess wizards are different. I have never played one, but with empaths, clerics,bards, and sorcerers, I have always just done shield/brawling to get around the disarm bullshit. That may not be how you want to train, though.
    Fuck You Anyway

Great advice, thanks.

So I found the amazing weapon rack in TSC and managed to scavenge a great staff. I assume this is take as you need, replace when you're finished sort of principle? Or do I owe someone for the generosity?

I still need some leathers though... at this point 4x full would be plenty. It appears the playershops in Shattered are not updated very regularly, so I'm hesitant to make a trip over to Icemule. Any ideas there? Happy to pay for them if someone's got some lying around. Forgive me if this part should be posted in the marketplace forums... I don't see a dedicated Shattered marketplace forum and thus I'm unsure about the forum etiquette.

i think if nothing else, one of the rogues guilds has some 4x leathers. not sure if theyre fulls though. i doubt it.
    Fuck You Anyway