Thread: Thoughts on spell training

Default Thoughts on spell training

So I thought I had made up my mind that I was going to stop at 1630 and start on minor spirit until something happened today. While hunting roa'ters, it was a bounty and I was stupid to take it since he is only 35 trains but I digress. While hunting roa'ters it sprung from the ground, rock hit me in the chest, rank 3 crit, lots of damage but I lived. I was stunned on the ground with a 6 round stun, obviously with only 10 health left I died, but I was thinking if I had beseech I might have lived. So I wanted everyone's thoughts on 1635 versus getting the 1st three ranks in minor spirit? Obviously in this case beseech would have been better but I am thinking more like overall thoughts not very specific circumstances. It is rare that he dies like that, normally it is something like a maneuver in swarm and he gets RT locked with several critters in the room.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    So I thought I had made up my mind that I was going to stop at 1630 and start on minor spirit until something happened today. While hunting roa'ters, it was a bounty and I was stupid to take it since he is only 35 trains but I digress. While hunting roa'ters it sprung from the ground, rock hit me in the chest, rank 3 crit, lots of damage but I lived. I was stunned on the ground with a 6 round stun, obviously with only 10 health left I died, but I was thinking if I had beseech I might have lived. So I wanted everyone's thoughts on 1635 versus getting the 1st three ranks in minor spirit? Obviously in this case beseech would have been better but I am thinking more like overall thoughts not very specific circumstances. It is rare that he dies like that, normally it is something like a maneuver in swarm and he gets RT locked with several critters in the room.
    Without a doubt you should absolutely get 1635 before starting on the 100s circle. One of the most powerful spells in the game.

Blog Entries

It kind of depends on your society, and your DS.

If you're GOS, the value is diminished due to having the 'ohh shit' button via sigil of escape.
    If you're a 2H/polearm build, you may need the DS from 103, and may be using the 102/1617 combo as well. If you're a shield build, or you feel your DS is fine, then by all means, get 1635 earlier.

Lastly, if the plan is to eventually get 1635/1** at level *, and the evaluation is simply for the short term, then I'd just stick to however you're currently trained, and just make the necessary adjustments going forward, no reason to fixskills or anything over such a minor alteration.

>forage for snapdragon stalk
    d100(Open): -251
    You stumble about in a fruitless attempt at foraging.

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."
    1/11/2014: Grandmaster Alchemist
    1/14/2014: Capped, and got Loralaii killed by a GM.
    7/11/2016: Founded the Hand of the Arkati
    9/20/2016: T5 on my bow (Thanks to Isola)... Managed as far as T4 myself.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlin View Post
    It kind of depends on your society, and your DS.

If you're GOS, the value is diminished due to having the 'ohh shit' button via sigil of escape.
    If you're a 2H/polearm build, you may need the DS from 103, and may be using the 102/1617 combo as well. If you're a shield build, or you feel your DS is fine, then by all means, get 1635 earlier.

Lastly, if the plan is to eventually get 1635/1** at level *, and the evaluation is simply for the short term, then I'd just stick to however you're currently trained, and just make the necessary adjustments going forward, no reason to fixskills or anything over such a minor alteration.
    Sigil of escape is very limited, unlike 1635. Low level minor spiritual spells are easily obtained from just about any other adventurer.

Also, feel free to hunt roaters at that level. If you're in the landing you should be spending most of your time in Darkstone anyways. Or Varunar.

He is polearm, right now he swings a 6X naginata, he is fully bonded to it, he is also a GoS Master and I have used Sigil of Escape at times, was in the process of hitting it when he died. I know the spirit spells are easy to come by, I can get them whenever I ask, it would be nice to have 117, I realize that is a long way off but you have to start somewhere. I would not use a fixskill on him as he hunts just fine for most things, rao'ters are just the spawn of the devil, otherwise he crushes the glacier with never an issue.

and another thing with sigil of escape if you are in the middle of a long term stun you may get moved to a safe place but you will still be stunned and its my understanding you died because you bled out during a stun.

with beseech you could have broken the stun, gone defensive, escaped, eaten herbs lived....returned to take your vengence.

7. Default

And, sigil of escape has outright killed my warrior and wizard multiple times (when used when 'too injured', emergency mode etc from nerve damage, having a prepared spell wear off, etc). I'm really underwhelmed with that sigil. Often I think at least I'll have a chance to live through a multi-round stun rather than the insta death that the sigil seems to be when I use it for emergencies.

Another vote for beseech.

He actually died because he was stunned in offensive and the roa'ter wailed on him one last time. Could I have made it with beseech, hard to say since it happened really quickly. This is more of a mindset thing for me on what to do next. I do not need to decide anything for at least a week since he will not train again until at least then.

If Sigil of Escape would transport you back to town instead of to a 'safe' spot, which is debatable since sometimes it only moves you a few rooms I think beseech would be less useful. Having said that I will probably go ahead and go to 1635 and even though a lot of you will tell me not too, 1640, just because I like the spell and it fits in with his RP storyline. Now just need to get a buttload of mana share so he does not die raising people.

9. Default

Beseech is rad, no doubt about it.

However, if you're dying more often than you should, consider dumping everything you've got into armor use. Full plate will do a much better job of keeping you alive than any spell you can learn. My guy was in MBP at 30'ish and full-plate by 45 or 46; I never regretted the push a bit (though I went 1618/107 for spells and didn't get beseech until around 50).

It is a grind for the 10 or so levels it will take to get your Armor Use up to 140. You will not be disappointed with the results though; the rare times you will be stunned will just be a 1-2 round annoyance rather than a death sentence.

~Homur