Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need warrior advice

Default Need warrior advice

So I was thinking about maybe, possibly starting up a warrior.

I guess the most important question is; what race? Lately I've been on a halfling kick but not sure how well a halfling warrior would fare compared to other races.

Also I would like to be able to just swing big, heavy pieces of wood (or metal) and crush all of my opponents without having to worry about pesky ambushing and aiming and whatnot. Would that be viable or is aiming required at some point?

What are the core skills I should be focusing on? Like 2x armor use, 2x weapon use, 1x CM? Etc etc? What stat should I be tanking with a warrior?

Tank INT.

Dex/Agi bonus makes the swings faster. So smaller racers reach that cap faster but also have less AS because of strength. Dwarves are a good trade off if you like Halflings as they will have more HP. Brute took a Gnome to cap swinging a maul. I think he had some awesome toys though.

Go with a maul base.
    Armor 3x til 140. Weapons, CMan PF 2x and dodge 1x for life. You can get away with .75 dodge but I wouldn't go much lower. MoC at least 1x or to the number of swings you want.
    You will want ambush if you plan on aiming, likely 40ish ranks until you're in your 60's. You can drop it completely as your CMan will be sufficient.
    A giantman highwayman fires a plain wooden arrow at you!
    You barely manage to block the missile with your shield!
    You manage to block with the exact angle needed to deflect the attack right back at the giantman highwayman!
    AS: +315 vs DS: +35 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +51 = +354
    ... and hits for 119 points of damage!
    Deft strike to abdomen penetrates several useful organs!

About the only thing I'd say different is that while 1x dodge is fine when working your way into fullplate, once that is done you'll want to work towards 2x dodge. At lower levels the difference between 1x and 2x isn't much but by the time you cap thats 60 DS. You can live without it, but there will be times where you won't and it makes life a lot easier.

I knew a halfling who made it up near cap using a claid but then he got busy with life and hasn't been back since. Weight will obviously be an issue but max light fullplate, armor support, and 509 go a long way towards helping in that department. You also have those encumbrance potions from the simucoin store if you don't mind using them either.

If you go halfling of elf, I'd suggest you try polearms. Not many do it but it is fun and it would be a little different from the norm.
    [LNet]-GSIV:Lysistrata: "And I'm pretty perfect sooooo... What can I say. I'm dedicated. (To Jeril's cock.)"

Yeah, if you are gonna be a small race, go Lance. If you pick a big race, go Maul. I agree with Jeril on the "get to full plate first, then pickup the extra DS" thing.

Some very helpful advice, thank you everyone.

Is there a program or script or something where you can input stats at level 0 and it will spit out what your stats would be like at level 100? There used to be a website that did this but last I checked the site wasn't working anymore. Not sure if it's back up now or not.

Also what society? I usually always go CoL because it's fast and easy and I love wracking but I don't think I'll have much use for wracking on a warrior.

I've always wanted to try Voln but it always seemed like a long process to master in that society. Is it really all that bad? Also would I have to hunt all/mostly undead to keep using powers or will the favor last a while if I spent say, 5 levels hunting just undead?
    Last edited by Tgo01; 07-30-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Warriors are pretty fun, especially if you go the GoS/Berserk route.

I personally like TWC and was a fan of Katars for the speed for the smaller races like my Gnome. But for the most biggest "Umph" I'd likely go THW/Mauls without a doubt.

I always hate Undead and typically never go Voln, the last time I went Voln was probably when I first started playing Gemstone many moons ago.

Smaller races take a bit more upkeep and some various cmans are nice to have in comparison to the larger races, but nothing is as fun as seeing some pint sized dude going ham in a warcamp

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Some very helpful advice, thank you everyone.

Is there a program or script or something where you can input stats at level 0 and it will spit out what your stats would be like at level 100? There used to be a website that did this but last I checked the site wasn't working anymore. Not sure if it's back up now or not.

Also what society? I usually always go CoL because it's fast and easy and I love wracking but I don't think I'll have much use for wracking on a warrior.

I've always wanted to try Voln but it always seemed like a long process to master in that society. Is it really all that bad? Also would I have to hunt all/mostly undead to keep using powers or will the favor last a while if I spent say, 5 levels hunting just undead?
    You can go to gsguide.net and download the trainer spreadsheet.

Society is up to you. Voln isn't difficult to master and you don't always have to hunt undead. I've spent weeks in OTF, the ducts and the city proper. How long your favor lasts you depends on how often you use the symbols, keeping up just the minimum courage and protection your favor can last you a good long while. If you start adding in other things you can find it quickly depleted. But if you aren't hunting undead most of the other symbols aren't worth using.
    [LNet]-GSIV:Lysistrata: "And I'm pretty perfect sooooo... What can I say. I'm dedicated. (To Jeril's cock.)"

8. Default

The only warrior guide you'll ever need. Sorry, Whirlin.

http://www.olsonstudios.com/zanteal/...ior_guide.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jeril View Post
    If you go halfling of elf, I'd suggest you try polearms. Not many do it but it is fun and it would be a little different from the norm.
    You're gonna hook me up with a 10x perfect lance, right?

Man that's old school. Talking about infusing in there, I remember those days :O

10. Default

woosh*
    Last edited by Androidpk; 07-30-2014 at 11:21 PM.