Page 5 of 160 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: What medicinal cannabis can do for you

This is why you don't debate with Latrin. Rather than admitting he's wrong, he ever so politely tries to engage you in his specious straw man arguments. It's really a dick kind of thing to do. Poor poor Latrisnorm, why will no one answer his weasely debating questions?

2. Default

I just know I'm tired of "I must be right at all costs". So much so that this mindset prevents the sick from accessing cheap effective medicine. To those I say fuck off, I hope you get the AIDs.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Laviticas View Post
    I just know I'm tired of "I must be right at all costs". So much so that this mindset prevents the sick from accessing cheap effective medicine. To those I say fuck off, I hope you get the AIDs.
    It's pretty ridiculous. Sheldon Adelson just donated $2.5 million dollars to a group in Florida that is working to get people to vote no on the upcoming medical marijuana bill this November.

4. Default

<<I thought I posed pretty reasonable (and respectful!) questions. If you refuse to address them in any way, why shouldn't I keep saying what I've been saying? I look at the same evidence in two cases and come to the same conclusion:

cigarettes -> ??? -> lung cancer
    marijuana -> ??? -> psychosis

Neither statement is a guarantee, neither statement fully elaborates on the underlying mechanism, neither statement addresses the philosophical (hey WB!) distinction between correlation and causation. If you want to disagree with both, I'd be flabbergasted but I'd at least stop asking you about it. I can't understand how you agree with one and not the other.

I would like to respond to your specific criticism of discerning between symptoms during and after use, from the author herself: "Individuals being questioned were instructed to report only those psychotic experiences that occurred independently of intoxication. So in that sense, we did control for the effects of acute intoxication." How did I get this quote? It's right there on the dang ol' page, if you'll pardon my French.>>

Thank you for the clarification. I missed that last bit. But again, that doesn't change the fact that psychotic symptoms do not indicate psychosis any more than symptoms such as coughing necessarily indicate lung cancer. It does suggest further study and caution would be prudent. However, it in no way justifies your claim that marijuana causes psychosis. Can we close the book on this one finally? Your claim is not supported by empirical evidence, which you've been beating everyone on these forums over the head with these past several weeks in the debate over marijuana. End of story, agreed?

Moving on!

Now if the undetermined risk of eventual psychosis from marijuana use frightens you, and you'd rather not see marijuana legalized as a result. That's a reasonable position to take, in my opinion. However, I feel it is also reasonable to make the observation that a Schedule I designation for marijuana is inappropriate and one could easily make the case that the consequences of this designation outweigh the benefits. Which was my point from the beginning.

I can't convince you that my subjective assessment of the risks and benefits of legalization carries any more weight than yours. The reason being that, while we may pile up all the empirical evidence in the world on this matter, ultimately the application of policy and necessary assessment of costs and benefits is subjective. And knowing that, we can dispense with claiming that our position stands on better information than everyone else's. Right?

~Taverkin

Puff, puff, pass bitch!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    When confronted with this reality, you choose to drop back to the oh-so-reasonable "reefer madness" defense. Psychotic symptoms sound bad. Downright alarming even! An open and shut case for anyone who doesn't want to take chances with psychosis. Then you proceed to insinuate that anyone who disagrees with you must not grasp the seriousness of psychosis as a disorder. It's pathetic, really. Illogical. The hallmark of a weak mind.
    GOOD DAY, SIR!

~Taverkin

Quote Originally Posted by Ker_Thwap View Post
    This is why you don't debate with Latrin. Rather than admitting he's wrong, he ever so politely tries to engage you in his specious straw man arguments. It's really a dick kind of thing to do. Poor poor Latrisnorm, why will no one answer his weasely debating questions?
    But I am polite about it! That's gotta count for something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower
    Thank you for the clarification. I missed that last bit. But again, that doesn't change the fact that psychotic symptoms do not indicate psychosis any more than symptoms such as coughing necessarily indicate lung cancer. It does suggest further study and caution would be prudent. However, it in no way justifies your claim that marijuana causes psychosis. Can we close the book on this one finally? Your claim is not supported by empirical evidence, which you've been beating everyone on these forums over the head with these past several weeks in the debate over marijuana. End of story, agreed?
    Well actu-
    Moving on!
    ...drat! No, but seriously, again quoting from the authors: "The focus on psychotic symptoms allowed us to conduct analyses regarding the earliest expression of psychosis, long before the onset of clinical disorder. We would argue that this perspective is highly relevant from a clinical point of view. ... Understanding the process of persistence of attenuated psychotic symptoms therefore is the key to understanding the early development of psychotic disorder, and how to intervene in the earliest stages of psychosis." Like the way that cigarettes don't strictly speaking cause cancer but precancerous cells that turn into cancer and can therefore be reasonably referred to as such, the distinction between psychotic symptoms and psychosis is not as important to the authors as it is to you. You could have strong qualifications, but they're Germans and therefore way scarier. Or consider the Argo: we all know that you can replace any number of planks from the Argo without it technically becoming a different ship, therefore if you start from scratch and put any number of planks together you are never technically a ship builder... but after the thousandth plank the distinction becomes rather petty, no? Argonautical engineering - therefore I'm right.
    Quote Originally Posted by leifastagsweed
    jpg
    Ah, but did I hold this belief before finding this research? It so happens we have a public record on this very site! 2004: I still believe alcohol to be at least as if not more dangerous than marijuana.

If I can change... and you can change... ...you know the rest.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

I wish I had used "Argonomics".
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    I wish I had used "Argonomics".
    There is a curious difference between symptoms and psychosis. And spurious correlations is a fun website my girlfriend showed me.

http://www.tylervigen.com/

Suggesting that these "symptoms" become psychosis in a progressive manner is so ridiculous as to be insulting to cancer sufferers.
    Last edited by Warriorbird; 06-23-2014 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    It's pretty ridiculous. Sheldon Adelson just donated $2.5 million dollars to a group in Florida that is working to get people to vote no on the upcoming medical marijuana bill this November.
    I've heard it's about 80% in favor of medical mary-j-wanna, so that dude likely just flushed his money down the toilet. Not that he cares, being the rich fuck he is, but I think it's a lost cause.

Unrelated, but Rick Scott is a genius!

Just what we need, idiots firing off 'warning shots' in the air. Sounds like a great idea/plan. I think I'd rather the person being a dick just get shot than have some random, innocent person have a bullet find them or their property.