Page 11 of 160 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: What medicinal cannabis can do for you

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorbird View Post
    So how about we give our marijuana a warning label too.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Laviticas View Post
    Well I just got high, soooooo I'm all psycho now, the 50% is of what?

I do feel sorry for this gallon of ice cream.
    Are you stabbing it violently with a spork?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    Well, at least one of is wrong, that's for sure. Were you not psyched by my quote from the author regarding this matter? Requoted here:

"The focus on psychotic symptoms allowed us to conduct analyses regarding the earliest expression of psychosis, long before the onset of clinical disorder. We would argue that this perspective is highly relevant from a clinical point of view. ... Understanding the process of persistence of attenuated psychotic symptoms therefore is the key to understanding the early development of psychotic disorder, and how to intervene in the earliest stages of psychosis."

She seems to think we can reasonably talk about it the way I am.I suppose you could read "a 50% increased risk for" as "an absolute guarantee of".

I'd be a lot more psyched if instead of simply quoting someone else as a means of brushing off valid criticisms of your position and your credibility, you'd address them directly. Despite the quote, you still insist that marijuana causes psychosis, correct? Further, you insist that using marijuana even one time causes permanent damage contributing to an increased risk of psychosis. Also correct, yes? So my question is: Do you not believe your own study? Or do you simply not understand what it says? Because it doesn't say any of those things.

As I've told you before, it's neither here nor there because the competition is the very concrete and demonstrable harm caused by a schedule I classification for marijuana. Of course, you don't like to allow your positions to enter the realm of the subjective - at least, not that you'll admit. It's a shame, really. Because I'd love to hear you pit this rather insignificant study on marijuana against the global impact of the "War on Drugs", the legal costs to local and state government as well as the prison system, the costs to companies due to drug screening and hiring/firing decisions made as a result of drug screening, and of course the costs to the individual.

Edit: Oh, and the State of Colorado would like me to also mention the opportunity cost of prohibition. They say they're making a lot of money right now.

~Taverkin
    Last edited by Hightower; 06-25-2014 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenlaar View Post
    You don't talk about it, you just quote one study over and over and over again while ignoring significant things. Such as the fact that alcohol, steroids, antibiotics, lack of sleep, even extreme stress can cause psychotic symptoms. Do you equally believe that all of those lead from psychotic symptoms to full blown psychosis?
    I neither believe nor disbelieve it. If you can produce a study where a scientist in the relevant field makes a similar claim as the one quoted, then I would believe it in the absence of other evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warriorbird
    I read it. We know little enough about mental illness. If instances of psychosis were really future mental illness the entire psychological establishment would come crashing down because they are induced in people every single day by prescription drugs. I could go there. It's a terrifying dark bleak nasty place, but then again I'd like my cousin to stay medicated. He hasn't had a bad life.
    Like I said to Lav, if you can cite a currently legal prescription drug that increases risk of psychosis by 50% or higher, then we can talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laviticas
    Well I just got high, soooooo I'm all psycho now, the 50% is of what?
    The baseline rate of psychosis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower
    I'd be a lot more psyched if instead of simply quoting someone else as a means of brushing off valid criticisms of your position and your credibility, you'd address them directly.
    I don't think of it as my position, and it certainly has nothing to do with my credibility. I had no part in performing the study, I did not hack the BMJ's Gibsons so as to fabricate it. You disagree with my interpretation of it, which is why the author's words are so very important. They look to me like they're saying "the process of persistence of attenuated psychotic symptoms" is equal to "the earliest stages of psychosis", to be contrasted with "the onset of clinical disorder". I don't really see how you can interpret it differently unless you have a pre-existing belief that there is a vast distinction between psychotic symptoms and psychosis. You have that belief, the author does not appear to. Whom should I believe? I have demonstrated inarguably that I did not have a pre-existing bias against marijuana, shouldn't you trust me as an objective observer?
    As I've told you before, it's neither here nor there because the competition is the very concrete and demonstrable harm caused by a schedule I classification for marijuana. Of course, you don't like to allow your positions to enter the realm of the subjective - at least, not that you'll admit. It's a shame, really. Because I'd love to hear you pit this rather insignificant study on marijuana against the global impact of the "War on Drugs", the legal costs to local and state government as well as the prison system, the costs to companies due to drug screening and hiring/firing decisions made as a result of drug screening, and of course the costs to the individual.
    Strictly speaking I cited two studies, one of which was a meta-study comprising 35 additional studies (as it was published in 2007 we can safely assume it did not include a study published in 2008). I don't understand what you mean by subjective in this case, so the rest of your post is a mystery to me.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    Like I said to Lav, if you can cite a currently legal prescription drug that increases risk of psychosis by 50% or higher, then we can talk.
    There is a tremendous difference between this and what the study actually suggests as a correlation. You take a study that suggests marijuana makes you paranoid and conflate that with turning somebody into an axe murderer.

Blog Entries

There is a tremendous difference between this and what the study actually suggests as a correlation. You take a study that suggests marijuana makes you paranoid and conflate that with turning somebody into an axe murderer.
    Dude, an axe murderer with the munchies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

7. Default

It is odd that you have a family member who suffers from mental illness but you freely indulge in gross stereotyping of it.

But heck, can you even cite a prescription drug that increases the risk of paranoia by 50%? Are you wrong even when you're right? That would be pretty telling, I think.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Epidemiological analysis of alcohol and drug use as risk factors for psychotic experiences
    Alcohol disorder in men was associated with eightfold risk and in women with threefold risk.
    Why, that sounds drastically higher than your reported increase in the risk due to marijuana use, Latrin! It's in a study and therefor you must believe it wholeheartedly.