Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrown Out of Court: How corporations became people you can't sue

1. Default Thrown Out of Court: How corporations became people you can't sue

This is a rather long article but it's worth checking out when you get a chance. Some of this stuff I didn't even know about and the implications are kind of unsettling. Money is a form of free speech and corporations are not only people they're quickly becoming first class citizens above everyone else.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/mag...ourt050661.php

The greatest damage here isn’t to us as individuals. “Mandatory arbitration is a basic threat to our democracy,” says Deepak Gupta, who argued the 2011 AT&T case before the Supreme Court. “This isn’t about us all getting our $30 checks when a company has ripped us off. It’s about laws that Congress passes being enforceable. The Supreme Court is allowing corporations to overturn law made by people we elect.”
    Diverting all cases to arbitration also promotes a culture of impunity, enabling wrongdoers to more easily continue their wrongdoing. And when the threat of litigation is strong, it discourages corporations from engaging in misconduct in the first place. By contrast, says Ed Mierzwinski, consumer program director at the U.S. Public Interest Research Group, “[t]he use of forced arbitration clauses has essentially immunized corporate America from any responsibility for its actions.” In the same way that the Justice Department’s decision to fine banks rather than prosecute executives encourages financial institutions to build in penalties as a cost of business, arbitration incentivizes companies to write down settlement awards as a routine cost, while perpetuating harms at large
    Last edited by Androidpk; 06-15-2014 at 08:02 PM.

A lot of this comes from the man who's the loudest proclaimed libertarian on the bench.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorbird View Post
    A lot of this comes from the man who's the loudest proclaimed libertarian on the bench.
    Who would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Who would that be?
    John Roberts

5. Default

That's news to me. I'm going to look into it some more.

American Express v. Italian Colors is a good case to look at.
    Last edited by Warriorbird; 06-15-2014 at 10:35 PM.

7. Default

By the way I don't consider myself strictly a libertarian. More of a mixed bag of L/R/D.

It's blatantly obvious that tying money to free speech means that there will be people with more free speech than others and that contradicts the entire concept of free speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    By the way I don't consider myself strictly a libertarian. More of a mixed bag of L/R/D.
    Reasonable enough. It's important to try to make your own decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    It's blatantly obvious that tying money to free speech means that there will be people with more free speech than others and that contradicts the entire concept of free speech.
    It's a lot more than just Citizens United.
    Last edited by Warriorbird; 06-15-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    Agree with you on that one.

I'd also like to see the country go to a popular vote. 1 person, 1 vote. No more electoral college. Force the candidates to fight for all the votes, instead of focusing on just major population centers.