Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    History doesn't teach us that bans don't work, history teaches us the bans that don't work. People never respond well to hammers, you have to use a vise. Squeeze, squeeze, squeeze, and in four measly years the smoking rate dropped to 80% of its previous steady state, then to 67% in the next four years.

Marijuana will be more difficult because it has a much higher critical mass than tobacco today, but tobacco cigarettes alone have been as high as 40% (see Table 1) in the past and that clearly didn't stop us. Critical mass is strong but it only works as inertia after the growth phase; it's not a force that can push in the other direction, it can only resist pushes. You hit it once with a hammer, you might as well whistle Dixie. You put it in the vise? You inevitably, inexorably win.
    Legalizing drugs has sounded like a good idea but any time I talk to anyone who actually does them on a regular basis I quickly go back to rethinking it. The absurdities you hear from those people is just too much and if you legalizes it you'd have a lot more of it floating around. Most people already do plenty of dumb things on their own they don't really need any help in that department.
    [LNet]-GSIV:Lysistrata: "And I'm pretty perfect sooooo... What can I say. I'm dedicated. (To Jeril's cock.)"

History doesn't teach us that bans don't work, history teaches us the bans that don't work. People never respond well to hammers, you have to use a vise. Squeeze, squeeze, squeeze, and in four measly years the smoking rate dropped to 80% of its previous steady state, then to 67% in the next four years.

Marijuana will be more difficult because it has a much higher critical mass than tobacco today, but tobacco cigarettes alone have been as high as 40% (see Table 1) in the past and that clearly didn't stop us. Critical mass is strong but it only works as inertia after the growth phase; it's not a force that can push in the other direction, it can only resist pushes. You hit it once with a hammer, you might as well whistle Dixie. You put it in the vise? You inevitably, inexorably win.
    It's some nice thoughts. Unfortunately, you ignore some massive other factors that occurred during the time period. What global priorities might tobacco have pushed towards?

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorbird View Post
    It's some nice thoughts. Unfortunately, you ignore some massive other factors that occurred during the time period. What global priorities might tobacco have pushed towards?
    ...Communism? Terrorism? I thought marijuana was the drug that supported terrorists, that's what the government told me and therefore it must be true.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

...Communism? Terrorism? I thought marijuana was the drug that supported terrorists, that's what the government told me and therefore it must be true.
    Communism going oligarchy capitalism would certainly be part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeril View Post
    Legalizing drugs has sounded like a good idea but any time I talk to anyone who actually does them on a regular basis I quickly go back to rethinking it. The absurdities you hear from those people is just too much and if you legalizes it you'd have a lot more of it floating around. Most people already do plenty of dumb things on their own they don't really need any help in that department.
    See what you think of this video. It's long but not boring.

You've got to maintain some perspective. We had a terrible problem with wolves back then. They were at the door. Canis and Cannabis? They're almost the same thing.

I thought it was bears, and that's why student loans (aka usury/ursus) were bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originate
    Here is a follow up...
    If I can offer counter-counter-points:

1. There's no evidence that Dr. Breiter claimed to be a mathematician. To me, some journalist deciding to call him one is more plausibly explained by journalists not being good at the fine arts.

2. A small sample size is not ideal, but it does not mean the practice of case studies is intellectually bankrupt.

3. The majority of users not being casual does not disprove the claim that some were.

4. Correlation vs. causation is a problem with literally every empirical observation ever made. Therefore, your only two choices when citing it are (1) dismissing literally every empirical observation ever made or (2) being a hypocrite.

The issues with the data itself are well put.

Speaking of hypocrisy...

I am too lazy to click that link but I have always been told a glass or two, nothing about the whole bottle.
    [LNet]-GSIV:Lysistrata: "And I'm pretty perfect sooooo... What can I say. I'm dedicated. (To Jeril's cock.)"