Page 50 of 135 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Speculation

Hey guys. Just had to stop in here to say that this show has totally jumped the shark, and I had to post this somewhere where mindless MMO players weren't going to brush it off as "nuh bruh, it was awesome" without any thought to analysis or context.

Anyways. I remember on these forums when we all first heard this series was going to be adapted to screen, how nervous we were for whether it would be true to it, how much I personally enjoyed the first few seasons...and now these deviations have spread from a stone's drop in the pond to a tsunami. The writing decisions this season (the first without extensive guidance from the books) have been...horrible. In a narrative sense, not the "it must be exactly like the books!" sense.

Ah well. Hope y'all are keeping well.
    A.M.D.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Gan View Post
    D TEAM UNITE! YOUR HEAD CHEERLEADER IS CALLING, HIS ATTEMPTED RESCUE OF THEe IS FAILING.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEschaton View Post
    Hey guys. Just had to stop in here to say that this show has totally jumped the shark, and I had to post this somewhere where mindless MMO players weren't going to brush it off as "nuh bruh, it was awesome" without any thought to analysis or context.

Anyways. I remember on these forums when we all first heard this series was going to be adapted to screen, how nervous we were for whether it would be true to it, how much I personally enjoyed the first few seasons...and now these deviations have spread from a stone's drop in the pond to a tsunami. The writing decisions this season (the first without extensive guidance from the books) have been...horrible. In a narrative sense, not the "it must be exactly like the books!" sense.

I essentially said the same thing myself.

I didn't follow the ending scene. Why didn't the harpies just spear Daenerys instead of the dragon? Why didn't they stay to kill the rest of her jumpout squad when she flew away? They just vanished. I could infer that the dragon killed them or that they ran in fear, but it didn't seem that way.

In my own little world where everybody knows me.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvean View Post
    I didn't follow the ending scene. Why didn't the harpies just spear Daenerys instead of the dragon? Why didn't they stay to kill the rest of her jumpout squad when she flew away? They just vanished. I could infer that the dragon killed them or that they ran in fear, but it didn't seem that way.
    Because dragon...

In my own little world where everybody knows me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEschaton View Post

The series has to deviate from the books because - despite his assertions to the contrary - the books are about to run out and GRRM will not be able to keep up. If you read the books first, you are undoubtedly going to be disappointed with this circumstances, because you love the books and, try as you might, it's difficult to love the TV programme about the books that you love where it does things so differently.

Imagine if it was trying to stay true to the books, when they catch up (which they already have in some storylines) what then? What then for the books? Quit your whinging and enjoy it as a different, but partially related, story.

Anyway, didnt you only start reading the books after the series was announced? I seem to recall you doing a catch up. Dont try and make out you were one of the back-in-the-day gang. Fucking wannabe.

Oh snap!

I don't agree the show has jumped the shark. Not at all. I've thoroughly enjoyed the last few episodes. It's a bit refreshing I don't know what's coming. The hardhome battle completely blew me away and shireen burning will happen in the books. Ign had an article about the shireen thing.

7. Default

At least a couple of the actors who had read the books (Loras, Barristan) have said they didn't like how they had greatly reduced characterizations in the show. That's mostly my dislike of it as well: some of the more fascinating book characters have been reduced to cliches. Stannis is the latest casualty, but it's been going on for a while and I'm gradually losing interest every time. It may still be a good TV spectacle though.

8. Default

I also have to say it's sort of nice to not know (all) of what's coming.

But, I'm really surprised Stannis let that happen. I was a little horrified (because the actress totally nailed it in every way). I'm about tired of this red-caped bitch and all this lord-of-the-light horseshit. It hasn't done jack shit to put anybody up the food chain except for that succubus herself who appears to carry Stannis' (and every other male she meets) balls in her pocket.

That chick seriously annoys me. On the other end of the earth you have Danerys... A queen with motherfucking dragons, of royal birth, walked through goddamned fire, has an army of thousands willing to die for her just on principle (because she freed their asses) guarding her every move 24/7, yet people still have the stones to come try and assassinate her multiple times.

Yet grown men with swords are scared of this two bit hooker in a red riding hood cloak preaching the westerosi version of 5 cent tent revival scripture and lighting fires and occasionally flashing/offering up her tits et al to random dudes in high places. This bitch just walks around doing whatever the fuck she pleases. Good for Jon Snow for not taking her up on her offer, and being all morally righteous.

Stannis is a three dimensional character who has evolved quite a bit over the course of the show. I wouldn't call him a cliche at all. It seems that whenever the show is perceived to deviate from the source material, fans cry about reductions in complexity or how "unnecessary" certain scenes are. In this particular case we have a strong, principled commander who has experienced a long, slow deterioration of his principles in pursuit of power. For a man with a refined sense of right and wrong, he's the definition of irony in the show. His principles force him to pursue the throne, rightfully his, and in doing so he's slowly shedding them at the prompting of a red devil. I don't see the cliche.

Quote Originally Posted by Luscinia View Post
    At least a couple of the actors who had read the books (Loras, Barristan) have said they didn't like how they had greatly reduced characterizations in the show. That's mostly my dislike of it as well: some of the more fascinating book characters have been reduced to cliches. Stannis is the latest casualty, but it's been going on for a while and I'm gradually losing interest every time. It may still be a good TV spectacle though.
    There's only so much airtime for character development and storylines. You've got 10 hours per season to jam in content that fills huge novels. For the most part, whenever a TV show is based on a book, or a set, a ton of stuff isn't going to translate because there just isn't enough time.

I thought Jurassic Park was a much better book than movie, but I still enjoyed the movie thoroughly.