Page 33 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Speculation

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Some Rogue View Post
    God, the outrage from all the little Tumblrinas is hilarious. It's like a fight to see who can be more outraged.
    If you creep on Tumblrinas, you get what you deserve.

Blog Entries

Nah. They bleed over into every subreddit these days.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Some Rogue View Post
    God, the outrage from all the little Tumblrinas is hilarious. It's like a fight to see who can be more outraged.
    Outrage over what?

4. Default

This season sucks. I'm at the point where I'm losing interest in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Outrage over what?
    I don't look at a lot of Internet forums. My guess is that there is outrage over the rape of a female character. For some, the grim depiction of the event was unnecessary and unsurprising. It turns the show into one gut punch after another to the point where some people don't want to watch it. And/or ...

The rape seemed like it was set up to spark a transformation in a male character while quickly marking the further degradation and humiliation of the female victim. The use of rape in a plot that's primarily about the men rather than the victim can be perceived as lazy and irresponsible. Even after the act, the men are the subjects and actors while the woman remains an object, a plot device. The end of Kickboxer (1989) is like this. They throw a rape into the mix just to get Van Damme more pissed off.

So I figure that's what people are pissed about. Worth noting that how the show deals with the event will not be clear until the end of the season though.

-----

A Google search turned up a 1989 review of Kickboxer that mentions this same topic:

"Come picture's end, the bad guy has had his ugly mug wupped halfway to kingdom come--which hardly seems like ample karmic comeuppance for the rape of the love interest, which never would have happened if Van Damme hadn't pursued his grudge. But what's a little female sexual violation when a man's man is busy setting the record straight?

In this cartoon world, Jean-Claude's gal can recover from that rape just as easily as his dog recovers from its critical wound. Somebody here could use a good swift kick in the seat, and it's not the Thai villain."
    Last edited by Silvean; 05-18-2015 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Kickboxer added

It's not quite Sopranos season 6 part 1 status, but it's getting there. Just seems like a lot of foreplay at the moment, which is fine I guess, if there's a big payoff.

Ramsey having his way with Sansa I'd suppose.

8. Default

I've seen complaints on the Witcher 3 from tumblrinas, saying it's sexist and racist.

9. Default

... and you all mocked me when I called Martin a pervy old creep. Why would anyone be surprised to learn that HBO is selling sex and in fact isn't a platform for social justice?

I'm hoping the rape spurs Sansa's transformation as well. For God's sake, its about time she did something.