Thread: Starfield

Blog Entries

Default Starfield

So, first gameplay reveal. It looks pretty great. It being a Bethesda game it'll have 456345634 bugs on launch but if it sticks to how moddable previous titles are we might have an amazing game here.

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

All I care about is building the spaceship.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

No man sky with bugs
    I mean, more bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcalibur1 View Post
    No man sky with bugs
    I mean, more bugs.
    No Man's Sky you can at least fly from space to the planets on your own. That was one of the things I really liked about NMS, being able to transition effortlessly from space to planet and vice versa.

In Starfield you pick a place to land from orbit and the game automatically lands your ship for you on the planet. I guess it's a loading transition between space and planet, since according to Bethesda, space and planets are two different instances. If you're in space, nothing on the planets are real (nothing is loaded into the game). The planet you see from space is just a place holder and nothing on the planet's surface is loaded until you land....then once you're on the planet, nothing in space is active. If you look up to the sky while on the planet it's just an image placeholder.
    Last edited by drumpel; 06-16-2022 at 08:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drumpel View Post
    No Man's Sky you can at least fly from space to the planets on your own. That was one of the things I really liked about NMS, being able to transition effortlessly from space to planet and vice versa.

In Starfield you pick a place to land from orbit and the game automatically lands your ship for you on the planet. I guess it's a loading transition between space and planet, since according to Bethesda, space and planets are two different instances. If you're in space, nothing on the planets are real (nothing is loaded into the game). The planet you see from space is just a place holder and nothing on the planet's surface is loaded until you land....then once you're on the planet, nothing in space is active. If you look up to the sky while on the planet it's just an image placeholder.
    And I’m fine with that. It means the planet will have more assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    And I’m fine with that. It means the planet will have more assets.
    If you can't fly around on a planet, that means no dog fights on planets - it's one of the things in NMS that can be fun. Initiate a ship fight in space or on a planet and you can transition between space and planet atmosphere fighting.

I don't know if you can fly your ship around on a planet and just not leave to space or if your ship stays stationary and is only used for leaving the planet. I think they're missing out on a chunk of gameplay that would help expand the experience for players by not having a flyable transition between planet and space, but that still remains to be seen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drumpel View Post
    If you can't fly around on a planet, that means no dog fights on planets - it's one of the things in NMS that can be fun. Initiate a ship fight in space or on a planet and you can transition between space and planet atmosphere fighting.

I don't know if you can fly your ship around on a planet and just not leave to space or if your ship stays stationary and is only used for leaving the planet. I think they're missing out on a chunk of gameplay that would help expand the experience for players by not having a flyable transition between planet and space, but that still remains to be seen.
    I'm fine with keeping them in space if it means the planets will have a lot more content on them.