Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum Wage Hypocrites

Comparing wage workers to interns strikes me as disingenuous.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    I think the next step is McDonald's interns.

Those poor abused fast food companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post

Fencing?
    This would be a fencing school, not a fencing company.

Fencing?
    This would be a Fence, also not a fencing company.

Fencing?
    This is a nice wooden fence that appears to been installed a few weeks previous to the picture since the grass shows signs of recovery from the foot traffic necessary during installation. It likely was installed by a fencing company and they did a very nice job though it was not likely my brother's company since he prefers to use a distinctive cut top post design and not a capped wooden post such as shown.

Nice troll, great reading comprehension fail.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie

Quote Originally Posted by ~Rocktar~ View Post
    Nice troll, great reading comprehension fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    The Government: Give us your freedom so we can protect you from yourself.

fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    To a degree, except that the minimum wage warriors have already managed to remove most unpaid internships.

I've already given my thoughts on this particular topic in a few other threads over the years, but since it's being brought up again, I'll share them again.

Simply put, minimum wage causes unemployment. I say this as a person who runs a business every day for a living. It's very simple math. If I have ten dollars to spend on labor, I can either hire two people at 5 dollars each or one person at 9 dollars and save a dollar and overwork that one person.

All of you who don't run a business for a living and say "oh! why not just spend more on labor?!!?" or whatever idiotic argument you have because you don't actually understand how it works can just nip it. Get educated.

Quote Originally Posted by Thondalar View Post
    I've already given my thoughts on this particular topic in a few other threads over the years, but since it's being brought up again, I'll share them again.

Simply put, minimum wage causes unemployment. I say this as a person who runs a business every day for a living. It's very simple math. If I have ten dollars to spend on labor, I can either hire two people at 5 dollars each or one person at 9 dollars and save a dollar and overwork that one person.

All of you who don't run a business for a living and say "oh! why not just spend more on labor?!!?" or whatever idiotic argument you have because you don't actually understand how it works can just nip it. Get educated.
    In one sense you're right. When minimum wage was last raised significantly fast food joints introduced self serve soda machine and were able to absorb the pay increase by cutting employees. It's also true though that paying people more leads to greater spending and more jobs. They may be new or different jobs and there will be turmoil while things settle out, but it won't hurt us to pay a higher minimum wage.

This whole minimum wage thing is just a symptom of a bigger problem. We're all making less than we used to and wealth is being consolidated by a very small group. The fast food workers are striking now because it's hitting them first and hardest. If this keeps up it will hit the rest of us too.

We need to raise taxes back up to where they used to be. Trickle down and supply side economics hasn't worked.
    Last edited by cwolff; 12-06-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cwolff View Post
    It's also true though that paying people more leads to greater spending and more jobs. They may be new or different jobs and there will be turmoil while things settle out, but it won't hurt us to pay a higher minimum wage.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadweight_loss

Merely saying something does not make it true, especially when it's false.
    Razzle them. Dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.