Page 1 of 71 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum Wage Hypocrites

Blog Entries

Default Minimum Wage Hypocrites

Link

As we celebrate the effort today to get every hard-working American a better paying job by not working, it might be appropriate to look at some other low-paying jobs. Or, better yet, jobs that don't pay at all.

That's right! If you're a high school kid working a minimum wage job, why should you see that as any kind of ladder rung? Why should a pittance in the pocket provide you with any skill that might help you down the road?

So take this day of proposed striking at fast food outlets and look at some other opportunities.

Why not join one of the many groups laboring on your behalf? They won't pay you a nickel, of course - these are groups that favor other people paying higher labor costs, just as they generally favor other people paying everything.

For example, Organizing For Action, that kind of creepy newfangled 4H political arm of President Obama, is looking for talented, hard-working, ambitious folks to fill 14-week unpaid intern positions.

Among the work you might perform there free of charge? Agitating for an increase in the minimum wage!

Similarly, among those fabled dens of journalistic rabble rousing that do so much to stoke the rage against evil huge employers like Wal-Mart, Subway, McDonald's and so many others, there are plenty of outlets looking for bright young people to man the barricades.

Again, for little or no pay.

The left-wing heroes at Mother Jones, bothered by the appearance of having unpaid interns, raised the job status to "fellows" and began paying them the royal wage of $1,000 a month. Assuming a normal work-week, alas, that's well below the minimum wage mandated in its California editorial home.

Across country, in the cheap space of Manhattan, editorial interns at Salon are, alas, unpaid. That hasn't stopped the magazine from publishing pieces excoriating the allegedly underpaid masses.

Well, at least former Clinton Labor Secretary Robert Reich is one man who won't stand for that sort of thing. At the left-wing American Prospect magazine he helped found, interns get a healthy $100-per-week stipend. That's less than a third of what some exploited slob would get working 40 hours at minimum wage, but, hey, are you only in it for the money?

Some of the folks who have long pushed for a so-called "living wage" were the good people of the now defunct ACORN. In fact, they were successful enough to help push through minimum wage increases in California.

Unfortunately, the higher wages carried a price for the noble community organizers: they couldn't hire as many people. So they sued. They lost in California courts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    Methais isn't even on my level bitch.

It's only evil when large corporations do it.

Blog Entries

Fast food worker strikes are probably good for the nation's health.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Fast food worker strikes are probably good for the nation's health.
    So Obamacare pays fast food workers to not work to lower healthcare costs for everyone? Maybe I misjudged Obama...

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    So Obamacare pays fast food workers to not work to lower healthcare costs for everyone? Maybe I misjudged Obama...
    Next, Obamacare will need to pay factory workers to not show up so there are no more chips and sweets.
    This space for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    We have to count our blessings that we enjoy freedom of speech without fear of oppression in this county.
    (When you can't answer a question for fear of making you or your savior look bad)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvan View Post
    Next, Obamacare will need to pay factory workers to not show up so there are no more chips and sweets.
    The government should go the route they did with bullets for a while there; buy all of the ingredients that go into making chips so the chip makers have a hard time buying the supplies they need.

The Government: Give us your money so we can protect you from yourself.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 12-06-2013 at 01:33 PM.

We have protesters here, and of course TV cameras and the whole circus. If I had not lost my voice from a respiratory infection over the past 2 weeks I would be out there counter protesting. I think a nice sign saying something like "Don't like minimum wage, upgrade your skills, libraries are free" I figure it should get me some police protection or something. Maybe a 30 second spot on TV with everything edited out of context and manipulated to hell. Would be fun.

My brother runs a fencing company and he has all the work he can stand, he can't get people to show up and work a full day most of the time at $10.50 an hour.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie

Quote Originally Posted by ~Rocktar~ View Post
    My brother runs a fencing company and he has all the work he can stand, he can't get people to show up and work a full day most of the time at $10.50 an hour.

Fencing?

Fencing?

Fencing?

Dork.
    [LNet]-GSIV:Lysistrata: "And I'm pretty perfect sooooo... What can I say. I'm dedicated. (To Jeril's cock.)"

Come on, that was great.

He needs to learn to be specific, Bob. (if you don't get that reference, shame on you)
    This space for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    We have to count our blessings that we enjoy freedom of speech without fear of oppression in this county.
    (When you can't answer a question for fear of making you or your savior look bad)