Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streaming Dragons of Elanthia gameplay

Default Streaming Dragons of Elanthia gameplay

Streaming my first experiences with this. I've played about 15 minutes already and it seems... pretty awful. I remapped the controls to an xbox controller, going to try that. Will answer comments in the chat box.
    Last edited by Drew; 11-24-2013 at 11:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Drew's priorities - Merchanting > Roleplaying > Cybering > Being AFK > Cybering > Hunting
    (wrathbringer78) I think that's it. Viril is one big obnoxious ambient script.

So I got about 10 minutes of streaming in before I logged out to fix the sound, was given a patch when I logged back in then told my version was out of date.

Still, here are my conclusions I can draw so far:

This game is pretty terrible, but it's mostly design choices. The controls take all the joy of flying away. I'm sure with enough time they could be learned, but I can't see them ever being fun. Even in the tutorial video Whatley talks about being disoriented several times and has to rely on the center camera and level off button waaaay too much. They should ditch having the dragon fly independent of the shooter, just lock the perspective and shoot straight forward. That and removing the stamina cost to have your dragon flap its wings would make the game alone more fun.

Other issues: Sound is really bad, but this may be an alpha thing.

Maps are disorientating. There is too much stuff at the "roof" of the map, especially with your dragon flying independent of how you shoot. It's so easy to get turned around.

Reliance on the level off button: have your dragon naturally roll back to normal without input.

Speed: you slow down too quickly, I'd prefer a brake button (this ties in with the flap wings button requiring stamina)

Guns: This is really annoying to me, WHY CAN'T I SHOOT RANDOMLY?? I hate that I have to wait for an enemy to be in range to shoot. This is stupid.

Controls: There are too many controls, I can't map them all to an xbox controller and use them while flying on both. If they didn't have independent aiming with separate flying controls this would be less of a problem.

Basically the big problem with the alpha is this isn't any fun, I had about 2 seconds of enjoyment along with 30 minutes of frustration.

Random problems: in windowed mode game opens on half monitor 1, half monitor 2. There is no windowed borderless mode (big annoyance for streamers).
    Last edited by Drew; 11-21-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Drew's priorities - Merchanting > Roleplaying > Cybering > Being AFK > Cybering > Hunting
    (wrathbringer78) I think that's it. Viril is one big obnoxious ambient script.

We just got our Xbox One and it seems like there is a console version of a dragon-rider called Crimson Dragon. I watched the trailer for it and seems like they even have some of the same kinds of dragons (fey/giant) available. And even though it has mediocre reviews, their lava map is like an interesting version of the "Elanthia" one.

Blog Entries

I havent played much since I got my alpha key a week or two ago. I had also mapped it to my xbox controller. I still used the mouse for aiming and shooting.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I havent played much since I got my alpha key a week or two ago. I had also mapped it to my xbox controller. I still used the mouse for aiming and shooting.
    I spent about an hour playing with the flight mechanics the other night. I got used to it, but I've never been much of a flight simulator kind of person. It can be fun, but its something I'd rather play with a group of friends then randomly pvping against people I don't know.
    You slap Walkar's cheek, hard.
    He continues, "I've decided that I'm not going to let you serve community service, so don't get your hopes up. To this aim, you may either pay the fine of 50000000 silvers plus any other outstanding debts you may owe, or serve a total of 120 minutes of incarceration. You may ANSWER me either FINE or INCARCERATION as your choice. But I digress. Choose quickly, now, lest I hold you in contempt of court for wasting my time."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HouseofElves View Post
    We just got our Xbox One and it seems like there is a console version of a dragon-rider called Crimson Dragon. I watched the trailer for it and seems like they even have some of the same kinds of dragons (fey/giant) available. And even though it has mediocre reviews, their lava map is like an interesting version of the "Elanthia" one.
    I smell a lawsuit. Maybe that's what the kickstarter was for... legal fees.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    I smell a lawsuit. Maybe that's what the kickstarter was for... legal fees.
    Come on, Simu has never been accused of stealing ideas before and was forced to change a lot of stuff in their game to avoid a lawsuit.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 11-23-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Are you talking about de-ICEing or something else?
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Are you talking about de-ICEing or something else?
    I don't know, I think. I only vaguely knew what the de-ICEing was and I Googled it just now and apparently I was slightly off base.

Just laugh darn you!

Blog Entries

hohoho!