Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle school student steals gun, kills teacher, wounds 2 students, and kills himself

1. Default Middle school student steals gun, kills teacher, wounds 2 students, and kills himself

(CNN) -- A student opening fire with a handgun he took from his parents. Screaming students running for cover. A teacher, trying to help, shot dead. Two students wounded. The terror lasted just a few brutal minutes.

As authorities investigated, details were still trickling out hours after a deadly shooting Monday at a Nevada middle school.

One official described the scene at Sparks Middle School with one word: chaos.

Students described to CNN how they ran into the school screaming and crying when they realized the pops they heard were gunshots just before the morning bell welcomed them back from fall break.

The shooter took a handgun from his parents, a federal law enforcement source who was briefed on the situation told CNN's Evan Perez.

The gunman eventually shot and killed himself with the semiautomatic gun, Sparks Deputy Chief Tom Miller said Monday evening at a news conference.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A girl who knew the shooter said on CNN that the shooter had been bullied.

Charge the owner of the firearm with negligent murder.
    Chris

Blog Entries

This is a degradation of parental values. I never, once, wen to school without my mother seeing me. I couldn't get anything past her. It is the fault of the parents. Parents need to start taking responsibility for their children. Why is a middle school aged kid going to school without their parents knowing that this kid had a gun on them? I couldn't sneak out of my house with a folder containing a bad conduct report and a forged signature. and yes, my mother had a full time job, but she was always there before I went to school.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    This is a degradation of parental values. I never, once, wen to school without my mother seeing me. I couldn't get anything past her. It is the fault of the parents. Parents need to start taking responsibility for their children. Why is a middle school aged kid going to school without their parents knowing that this kid had a gun on them? I couldn't sneak out of my house with a folder containing a bad conduct report and a forged signature. and yes, my mother had a full time job, but she was always there before I went to school.
    Reminds me of the way school buses work out where I live now. Everywhere I lived there was always like central locations where kids had to walk to in order to catch the bus. Out here I noticed the school bus stops at each and every kid's house, even if the next kid was literally just two houses down. Once I commented to someone on how silly I thought it was that the school bus had to stop at each house and the person said it makes sense because the bus driver (supposedly) is checking to make sure the kid doesn't get kidnapped on their way from the school bus to their front door.

I don't know if that's the real reason but this is just the kind of thing some parents apparently expect nowadays.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheet View Post
    I don't know if negligent homicide is the correct charge, but the owner of the firearm definitely needs to be charged. If you are going to own a gun, reasonable measures need to be taken to keep the gun and the ammo away from children. If you refuse to do that, then IMHO you have no right to own a firearm.
    Last edited by Candor; 10-22-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheet View Post
    Agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkein View Post
    That is some weird shit.

The bullying comment is odd to me. Why are kids more fragile today then in generations past that bullying yields murder/suicide? Did it happen in the same amounts when we were kids but we just didn't hear about it? Is it the fault of previous generations? Had they raised their kids right, then those kids would raise their kids right and then this wouldn't happen?

So many what ifs and variables but I'm fully expecting exclusive and conclusive reports from the news that it's just bullying that's the only factor.
    That is some weird shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Candor View Post
    I don't know if negligent homicide is the correct charge, but the owner of the firearm definitely needs to be charged. If you are going to own a gun, reasonable measures need to be taken to keep the gun and the ammo away from children. If you refuse to do that, then IMHO you have no right to own a firearm.
    If the weapon wasn't wrestled out of your hand prior to the act then it should be negligent murder.
    That is some weird shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Candor View Post
    It probably isn't but it needs to be prosecuted the same as driving a car drunk and killing someone. Its gross negligence that ends up in a death. Personally, I think it should be considered a felony if the gun is taken from the possession of the parent/guardian/gun owner without an additional crime being committed. So, in this example, if the kid took a cutting torch to the hinges of his dad's gun safe while they were sleeping and then took the firearm to school, one could say a crime was committed with the student stealing the firearm.

However in this specific case he was allowed access to a firearm, the loading mechanism(magazine), the bolt(no cable lock?), and ammunition. Being someone who carries a firearm, I can understand that you don't want a bunch of locks and things in your way of protecting your family, but you need to take reasonable steps to secure the firearm. Things like not leaving it in the bedside drawer when you are not present, putting it in one of the quick access safes etc.

While I certainly will not rule out one of my firearms ever being used, my current setup has all my guns in a gun safe, with cable locks locked on the pistols, cable locks and trigger locks on the riffles, and my ammunition/magazines/reloading supplies stored in two different smaller safes. Each safe is a combination lock while the cable locks and trigger locks are keyed. The keys for them are in a drawer of the workbench that is also locked with the key in my wallet.

Its about being responsible, and unless these parents were fresh out of a fight in their home, nobody will ever convince me this child should have had ready access to this firearm, much less the ammunition and magazines.
    Chris

What kind of shitty safe do you have where the hinges are exposed for cutting?!
    That is some weird shit.