Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Profanity... a terminal frontend

Quote Originally Posted by Tillmen View Post
    What about MAing?!
    How do you load multiple accounts? I tried but it failed.
    Chris

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheet View Post
    How do you load multiple accounts? I tried but it failed.
    Use a different port number for each.
    Get Lich - Vote for Gemstone (topmudsites.com)

Off topic. Ubuntu or Mint?
    Chris

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheet View Post
    Off topic. Ubuntu or Mint?
    Xubuntu!

If you can haz xubuntu too, you might want to copy what I did and put something like this in a shortcut:
    xfce4-terminal --hide-menubar --hide-toolbars --fullscreen --title="Profanity - Tillmen" --execute env TERM=xterm-256color /home/user/lich/profanity.rb --port=8000

I use Xubuntu and normal ubuntu using gnome-fallback-session. Cinnamon is okay but eventually one of the incomplete features will drive me back to the others. Mate is... okay.
    Last edited by jafo; 07-12-2013 at 12:14 AM.

This is great work Tillmen. I run the bleeding edge stable Ruby (2.0.0-p247) and had no problems getting this to work. I haven't done any serious playing with it yet, but this combined with tmux feels absolutely spectacular for MAing so far. I noticed a few times a section of the terminal got stuck with some misplaced text for a bit.

Can you add a CLI option to lich to avoid requiring GTK? While GTK is not useless with this program since it doesn't yet replace something like Narost, it would be really nice to have the option to do without, especially since I have to rebuild the GTK extensions for each new Ruby version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McGoohan
    I am not a number, I am a free man!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
    I noticed a few times a section of the terminal got stuck with some misplaced text for a bit.
    If that's caused by resizing the window, then I'm aware of that problem and haven't gotten to it yet. If not, I'm not sure what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
    Can you add a CLI option to lich to avoid requiring GTK?
    Yeah, that's the plan.

8. Default

Updated Profanity. Now it reads highlights, layouts, macros and other key mappings from an xml file. It will create a file named .profanity.xml in your home directory if it doesn't exist. You might be able to figure out what to change from all the default settings in the file, but there's a good amount of non-obvious stuff in there.

None of the default highlights set a background color, but adding a bg='123456' attribute to a highlight tag is supported.

There's no option to highlight the entire line or make it case insensive or only on word boundary, but these can all be specified using regex. Adding .* to the front and end will highlight the entire line. Putting (?i) in the regex causes the rest of the regex to be case insensitive. \b matches a word boundary.

The terminal emulator you use and/or ncurses puts a lot of limitations on the key bindings. ctrl+a through ctrl+z get sent to the script with a value of 1 through 26, which causes both the tab key and ctrl+i have a value of 9. Ctrl+h and backspace on Windows both have a value of 8. Ctrl+j and enter are both 10. Assigning a macro or other action to one of these will cause the other to do the same thing. Ctrl+c, ctrl+q, ctrl+s, and ctrl+z don't even make it to the script.

Most of the time, the alt key doesn't modify another key, but instead is just sent with a value of 27 (same as escape) before the other key value. This is why there are nested key tags in the xml file, which looks like this:
    Code:
    	<key id='alt'>
    		<key id='f' macro='something'/>
    	</key>
    This makes alt+f work with the weird way the key values are being sent to the script, but also opens up a lot of other options. For example, if you wanted to use ctrl+g to get your weapon out, but you have a lot of weapons, you could do something like this:
    Code:
    	<key id='ctrl+g'>
    		<key id='d' macro='\xget my dagger\r'/>
    		<key id='b' macro='\xget my broadsword\r'/>
    		<key id='h' macro='\xstow right\rget my handaxe\r'/>
    		<key id='s' macro='\xremove my shield\r'/>
    	</key>
    Now when you hit ctrl+g and let go and hit b, it gets out your broadsword. There's no limit to the number of levels of nested key tags. You'll need three levels instead of two to do the same thing with alt.

ctrl+enter is the same as enter, so for resending the last and second last commands to the game I went with ctrl+up and alt+up. Seemed like a good fit, since the up key moves you through the command history, but you can change those keys and pretty much everything else if you want.

Macros work the same as WizardFE and Stormfront, except that %variable and /? aren't implemented yet. You can use \x \r and @.

The layout is there too..

Just want to say this is awesome and I am already starting to use it. Just wondering though, do you do development with git or anything so that fixes can be easily contributed? Maybe hosting on github would be nice?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by calael View Post
    Just want to say this is awesome and I am already starting to use it. Just wondering though, do you do development with git or anything so that fixes can be easily contributed? Maybe hosting on github would be nice?
    No. I've been meaning to, but haven't.