Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Profanity... a terminal frontend

Bummer! It doesn't seem to like to work with some command shell replacements that I use.

Tillmen - What about MAing?
    Chris

2. Default

[EDIT: Note that, with Tillmen's most recent updates, you no longer need to do much of this. Ruby 2.0 is not required, nor is editing profanity.rb.]

Sweet, Buckwheet. Glad it worked for you, too.

I figure this might be helpful, so here's a quick step-by-step of what I did in Windows, for anyone else who wants to try it (Windows 7, btw; don't know if other versions will work like this).

1. As per Tillmen's guide in the OP, make sure you have Lich 4.4.14 installed and that you've set up a "quick game entry" in Lich for the character that you want to use.

2. Download profanity.rb using Tillmen's link.

3. Install Ruby 2.0. You can find it here: http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/.

-NOTE: If you already have an earlier version of Ruby installed (e.g., 1.8.7) and want to keep that one as the default Ruby installation, then you can install Ruby 2.0 side-by-side with it by making sure that, during the installation of Ruby 2.0, the following two checkboxes are UNCHECKED: "Add Ruby executables to your PATH" and "Associate .rb and .rbw files with this Ruby installation"

4. Open profanity.rb in a text editor of your choice (NOT Word; something like Notepad or Notepad++). Find line 1031, which should read as follows:

Code:
    server = TCPSocket.open('0.0.0.0', PORT)
    Change that line to:

Code:
    server = TCPSocket.open('127.0.0.1', PORT)
    and save.

5. Open cmd.exe (a command prompt). You will probably have to open it as an administrator, because the command that you are going to enter in the next step is going to open a port for listening on your computer.

-If you don't know how to open cmd.exe as an administrator, you can do it this way: click the Start menu, type 'cmd.exe' (but DO NOT hit enter) in the spot where you can search programs and files, and then right click the 'cmd' program that appears and choose "Run as administrator."

6. In the cmd.exe that you just opened, use ruby to start Lich as Tillmen explains in the OP. Basically, assuming that Lich is installed at C:\lich\lich.rbw and that Ruby 2.0 is installed at C:\Ruby200 (you'll have to change these if you have things set up differently), you'd type:

Code:
    C:\Ruby200\bin\ruby.exe C:\lich\lich.rbw --login CharacterName --without-frontend --detachable-client=8000
    You should replace 'CharacterName' with the name of the character that you want to use. NOTE: Once you enter this command, Windows may sound a warning about opening a port through the Firewall. You will have to allow this if you want to connect using profanity.rb.

7. Open another command prompt. This will be the one where you will actually play the game. You do NOT need to open this prompt as an administrator. At the prompt, again assuming that Ruby 2.0 is installed at C:\Ruby200 and that profanity.rb is located at C:\lich\profanity.rb, you'd type:

Code:
    C:\Ruby200\bin\ruby.exe C:\lich\profanity.rb --port=8000
    And you're in!
    Last edited by Mathari; 07-10-2013 at 01:28 PM.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheet View Post
    profanity.rb:77: undefined (?...) sequence: /(?<=\]\-)GSF/
    profanity.rb:78: undefined (?...) sequence: /(?<=\]\-)GSIV/
    profanity.rb:79: undefined (?...) sequence: /(?<=\]\-)GSPlat/
    profanity.rb:80: undefined (?...) sequence: /(?<=\]\-)DR/
    Fixed this and updated. And by fixed, I mean I just had it not use those highlights if you weren't using Ruby 1.9 or 2.something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathari View Post
    After you install Ruby 2.0, you will still get an error, but it will be a different one. Ruby 2.0 (or Windows, not sure which) has a problem with the IP address that profanity.rb has on line 1031.
    Changed the IP address back to 127.0.0.1 and updated. I swear there was some reason I was using 0.0.0.0. I think at one point Windows didn't like localhost, and OSX didn't like 127.0.0.1, but Windows, Linux, and OSX all worked with 0.0.0.0. But since I couldn't find 0.0.0.0 anywhere in Lich, I said screw it and changed it.
    Get Lich - Vote for Gemstone (topmudsites.com)

Will this frontend do my taxes and rub my shoulders?

So which Ruby is this supposed to run on? I have issues with some lich scripts running on anything past the 1.8 releases on Linux.

6. Default

Funny thing, I have sorter load by default. It puts the output into the first cmd window where you launch the game instead of the front end that is loaded inside the second CMD window.
    Scripts that want to send XML or GSL tags directly to the frontend can use "puts" to avoid Lich adding escape characters to the XML. puts writes to stdout, and when using Stormfront, WizardFE or Avalon, stdout is redirected to the frontend.

When using Profanity as a detachable frontend, stdout is not redirected. Mostly because, in theory, you can connect with your regular frontend on your computer, and use the detachable frontend on your mobile at the same time.

Anyway.. I just forgot to mention that I added a couple methods to Lich so that scripts didn't need to use puts or $_CLIENT_.puts directly, and updated sorter, repository, and lnet to use them. Should work right if you download the updates.

7. Default

Bummer! It doesn't seem to like to work with some command shell replacements that I use.

Tillmen - What about MAing?
    What about MAing?!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    So which Ruby is this supposed to run on? I have issues with some lich scripts running on anything past the 1.8 releases on Linux.
    I'm using Ruby 1.9.3, but it should work on 1.8 or later.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    With Tillmen's most recent changes, it looks like it should run just fine with a Ruby 1.8 release.
    Last edited by Mathari; 07-10-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Said "Lich," meant Ruby

I've got both installed and managed via alternatives. I'd rather use 1.9 but I've already got too many local forks of lich scripts without keeping a bunch modified for Ruby version too.