Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Strategy Games

Blog Entries

Default Grand Strategy Games

I thought I'd start a thread about some of the grand strategy games out there, like Victoria, Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron and Europa Universalis. Does anyone else play them? They're extremely confusing if you've never played one before, but rewarding once you figure out what the fuck is going on and how to do stuff.

The one I'm most familiar with is Crusader Kings 2. I've got 36 hours logged and only now feel comfortable forming kingdoms out of independent realms. The music is awesome, and the events and plots you can set into motion are really intricate. Right now CK2 and most of it's DLC is 75% for a few days in celebration of the latest expansions release, and there's a demo if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by Taernath; 05-28-2013 at 06:54 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

I have CK2, haven't really gotten into it yet. Looks real fun though.
    This space for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    We have to count our blessings that we enjoy freedom of speech without fear of oppression in this county.
    (When you can't answer a question for fear of making you or your savior look bad)

EU4 is coming out in 3Q13, probably August ... I am *very much* looking forward to it.

Blog Entries

Honestly, my favorite strategy game was Masters of Magic... released in like, 1985 by Microprose. Huge Depth that has been attempted to be recreated many times, but always failed.

>forage for snapdragon stalk
    d100(Open): -251
    You stumble about in a fruitless attempt at foraging.

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."
    1/11/2014: Grandmaster Alchemist
    1/14/2014: Capped, and got Loralaii killed by a GM.
    7/11/2016: Founded the Hand of the Arkati
    9/20/2016: T5 on my bow (Thanks to Isola)... Managed as far as T4 myself.

How did I not know these games existed? This is precisely the type of shit I love.

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    How did I not know these games existed? This is precisely the type of shit I love.
    They rock. I'm playing through the Old Gods expansion to CK2 right now. Fighting off Vikings is great.
    Last edited by Warriorbird; 05-29-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Picked this up (CK2) and started the tutorials this morning. There are 18 tutorials?! lol. I have a feeling it'll take me a few hours just to get through them all but I'm done with it for the morning. I have a feeling I'll really like it once I get the hang of it though.
    ~Player of Inurtia

Personally I would suggest Europa Universalis 3 over Crusader Kings 2.

The former is more nation-centric and covers 1399-1800s, so colonization and religion (within Christianity after 1500s, nvm Christianity vs Islam/etc) and trading plays a huge role in adding further dimensions to game-play. 5.2 was made official recently.

The later is more family-tree like where it is less about shaping a nation, and more true to feudalism and expanding land holdings across Europe (and limited to it).
    Last edited by Atlanteax; 05-30-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanteax View Post
    Personally I would suggest Europa Universalis 3 over Crusader Kings 2.

The former is more nation-centric and covers 1399-1800s, so colonization and religion (within Christianity after 1500s, nvm Christianity vs Islam/etc) and trading plays a huge role in adding further dimensions to game-play. 5.2 was made official recently.

The later is more family-tree like where it is less about shaping a nation, and more true to feudalism and expanding land holdings across Europe (and limited to it).
    Things have opened up with expansions but you're right about the family center.

In my own little world where everybody knows me.

We played old school diplomacy on here before. That was pretty fun.