Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: go2 in the rift

Default go2 in the rift

I'm just wondering what exactly has changed that causes go2 to behave weird in those odd unmapped rooms in the Rift? When run from those locations, go2 used to have odd failures (which I janked my way around one way or another with my scripts) but now it peers around and sets descriptions on and other odd things. It has a tendency to lag (I'm assuming things are being hidden by hooks and so on) and, according to others, idle in rooms with voids at times.

First: What's weird about those rooms? Do the descriptions change? I never have descriptions on so I wouldn't know. Second: Is there a better way to handle these rooms? Third: Is there anything I can do towards them being handled better?

Just as a preemptive point if the room descriptions change: Isn't there some unique (Simu-generated) room identifier that gets passed through the stream for each room? Would it be possible to use that in the map database? Is that too much of an overhaul? Or is that identifier not what I think it is?

This is an example of the behavior on plane 1. I just did unhide followed by go2 to move past some of those unmapped rooms.

>unhide
    You do not believe anyone noticed you slip out of hiding.
    >--- Lich: go2 active.
    [go2: ETA: 0:00:01 (5 rooms to move through)]
    [go2]>east
    [go2]>east
    [The Rift - 2594]
    Obvious exits: east, west
    >[go2]>east
    [(script unknown)]>set description on
    [(script unknown)]>peer east
    [uberbarwiz]>set description on
    [uberbarwiz]>peer east
    [narost]>set description on
    [narost]>peer east
    [go2: reducing typeahead setting...]
    [go2]>set description on
    [go2]>peer east
    [The Rift - 2596]
    >[(script unknown)]>set description on
    [uberbarwiz]>peer east
    [narost]>peer east
    [go2]>set description on
    [go2]>peer east
    [The Rift - 2597]
    p>You will now see room descriptions.
    p>[go2]>set description on
    [(script unknown)]>set description on
    [go2]>peer east
    [uberbarwiz]>peer east
    [narost]>peer east
    [The Rift - 2597]
    A throne sits in the middle of an open field. Dead and dried flower bushes grow over it, lacing thistles through the hair and bones of the half-rotted woman sitting within it. Enough flesh remains to identify her gender, but the rest is gone, devoured by the plants and elements. You also see a sturdy wooden door.
    Obvious paths: east, west
    p>You peer east and see ...

[The Rift - 2597]
    A throne sits in the middle of an open field. Dead and dried flower bushes grow over it, lacing thistles through the hair and bones of the half-rotted woman sitting within it. Enough flesh remains to identify her gender, but the rest is gone, devoured by the plants and elements. You also see a sturdy wooden door.

[The Rift - 2597]

[The Rift - 2597]

[The Rift - 2597]

[The Rift - 2597]

[The Rift - 2597]
    p>Sorry, you may only type ahead 2 commands.

[The Rift - 2597]

[The Rift - 2597]

[The Rift - 2597]
    p>[go2: restarting script...]
    [go2: ETA: 0:00:00 (2 rooms to move through)]
    [go2]>east
    [The Rift - 2597]
    p>[go2]>east
    [The Rift - 2598]
    Despair and desolation hang heavy in the air over the small plain before you. Off in the distance, near the coast, what was once a small city lies smouldering in ruins. The thick, black smoke from the razed hamlet lies heavy near the building tops, as if the weight of the carnage held it fast. A huge stack of bodies is piled near the western gate, some of which almost look familiar.
    Obvious paths: southeast, west
    p>[go2: travel time: 0:00:10]
    --- Lich: go2 has exited.

Okay, so I just went to the rooms in question to look at the waytos and neither the rooms in question nor the border rooms have "peer" anywhere in the wayto procs. But I just noticed that passing though the plane 1 rooms are mapped to plane 3 rooms in narost and once you enter those rooms, you get the peering situation. Also, previously, there were rooms in plane 1 which weren't mapped in narost but now they are.

So, it doesn't seem like this is really related to the map database (or at the very least, isn't solely due to the map database).

I was wondering why room description were turning on sometimes for me while in the Rift, although that only seems to happen while I'm running through plane 1. On plane 3 however I do notice sometimes my script gets stuck in one of those unmarked rooms and just hangs.

4. Default

The short answer is... kill rnum.

rnum uses a DownstreamHook to display the current room number. So every time a game line comes in from Simu, rnum runs its code on this game line, and no other game lines can come in until it finishes. The code is using Room.current, which in those duplicate rooms is going to peer into the next room and check the new game lines to figure out which room you're in. This isn't going work, because no game lines are coming in. The game apparently freezes until the peer command times out. I plan on fixing this, and by fixing this I mean breaking rnum so it shows the wrong room number.

There is no unique (Simu-generated) room identifier that gets passed through the stream for each room. If there was, I would have jumped on that years ago.

The trigger to peer is in the room tags. When possible, it will peer and check the obvious exits. There are a few duplicate rooms in the rift where every adjacent room also has identical obvious exits for both duplicate rooms. For those, it has to turn on the room description.

I never understood the popularity of rnum. Even when it's working, it's going to add a small amount of lag by design every time you move so you can see a number you don't even care about 99% of the time. Setting rnum as a fav is going to make the game appear to freeze while it loads the map database every time you log in, which I think I remember other people complaining about.
    Get Lich - Vote for Gemstone (topmudsites.com)

I don't use rnum though

Although come to think of it I haven't noticed my script getting stuck in plane 3 in a while so maybe you fixed that problem already or it was just a fluke for a while there.

Just yesterday my room descriptions turned on by themselves though, know what else could be causing that? It's not a huge burden or anything, just curious.

6. Default

So.. I'm testing my fix, and does rnum always show the wrong room number? It seems to just show the room number of the last room you were in, and that's without any duplicate rooms or fixing or peering or anything.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    I don't use rnum though

Although come to think of it I haven't noticed my script getting stuck in plane 3 in a while so maybe you fixed that problem already or it was just a fluke for a while there.

Just yesterday my room descriptions turned on by themselves though, know what else could be causing that? It's not a huge burden or anything, just curious.
    The new system of peering and whatnot in duplicate rooms is probably what's keeping you from getting stuck. That's part of the reason I added it. The old way of dealing with these rooms was just to move you around them. Getting rifted or climbing a thread and landing in a random room has a chance of dropping you in one of these duplicate rooms, which would have just left your scripts stuck with the old method.

Your descriptions turning on are from the new way of dealing with duplicate rooms. They'll only turn on in some of the duplicate rooms, and only if some script is trying to get the room number. So starting go2 in one of those rooms or having narost running will cause it, but just running past the rooms won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tillmen View Post
    The new system of peering and whatnot in duplicate rooms is probably what's keeping you from getting stuck. That's part of the reason I added it. The old way of dealing with these rooms was just to move you around them. Getting rifted or climbing a thread and landing in a random room has a chance of dropping you in one of these duplicate rooms, which would have just left your scripts stuck with the old method.

Your descriptions turning on are from the new way of dealing with duplicate rooms. They'll only turn on in some of the duplicate rooms, and only if some script is trying to get the room number. So starting go2 in one of those rooms or having narost running will cause it, but just running past the rooms won't.
    Oh my bad, I thought you were saying rnum was causing that. In that case thanks for fixing the hanging problems I was encountering.

So when Room.current (or I suppose Map.current) tries to match the current room with a map in the database, it comes up with some kind of ambiguous result and resorts to some fall-back routines. One of those routines checks the map database for the existence of peer tags in that location (which the rift map has). Having found those tags, it does the peer routine to try to allow Room.current to completely identify your current room. More-or-less-correct?

This behavior should also result from narost, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Tillmen View Post
    So.. I'm testing my fix, and does rnum always show the wrong room number? It seems to just show the room number of the last room you were in, and that's without any duplicate rooms or fixing or peering or anything.
    Yeah, that's what rnum tends to do.