Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a new PC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Building a new PC

Soooo... It's getting to that time where I feel like my current home computer is getting a little old. I'm thinking about building a new PC. I've been doing research, and it's now at the point where I've decided on nothing more than the processor, but I have a bunch of ideas that aren't really coming together.

I'm looking to build a PC with an i7-3770k. I have an SSD, and I'd like to get a 1-3 TB HD for storage. Aside from this, I'm pretty lost. I got lost at the case/motherboard, as I'm looking to build something smaller sized. I only need 1 GPU, but I'd like to be able to upgrade to 2 in the future. So I'm stuck between a mini ITX and a micro ATX mobo, and then the case for it. I was looking at the BitPhoenix Prodigy, but I think it's only mini ITX. I'd prefer mATX for upgradability purposes. I can't find a decently priced mobo with wi-fi built in, but I'd prefer that.

So the long and short of it is that I'm trying to build a small(er) form factor PC for light gaming purposes. My only requirement is that I can use dual monitors with it. I'd like suggestions on mobo's and cases, and graphics cards as well. Trying to keep the computer itself under a grand, as I figure the monitors, keyboard, mouse, etc. is going to run me another couple hundred bucks.

Anyone wanna help me?

Quote Originally Posted by Delarock View Post
    I figure the monitors, keyboard, mouse, etc. is going to run me another couple hundred bucks.
    The monitors should be at least that much each.
    Looking for: krodera items, the gleaming krodera long knife, oldstyle katanas

August 20, 2006
    >just ban
    You are currently banished from Wehnimer's Landing.

>ask clerk about citizen
    The clerk says, "Hrrrm, Mogonis, you do seem to be eligible for full citizenship. Just WRITE your name in the book if you wish to make it official."

>write book
    You sign your name into the citizenship registration book, fully agreeing to the duties and privileges full citizenship provides you.

Save yourself the trouble and just loop it all through a decent TV. I just got that little apple device that lets me use my laptop, ipad, ipone all on my 55 inch flatscreen with the push of a couple buttons. Saves my eyes too.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine.

Lightning has killed more Americans in the last forty years than terrorism.

I don't build PCs because I don't find it cost efficient, so I could be totally off here, but I think you're going to need to buy a larger motherboard than micro ATX if you want to use CrossFire / whatever the fuck Nvidia calls theirs.

If it were me, I'd just buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883258013.
    Last edited by Bobmuhthol; 02-20-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    Razzle them. Dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

Micro ATX should have no problem with two GPU's. More than that isn't going to happen. And a lot of it has to do with the case.

I'm budgeting about $500 for the miscellany. Wanted to keep this whole project under $1500.

It might have the slots, but there are plenty video cards that obstruct neighboring slots with huge fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuhthol View Post
    It might have the slots, but there are plenty video cards that obstruct neighboring slots with huge fans.
    This. Mobo manufacturers haven't exactly been on top of things regarding the actual space required for multiple cards while promoting things like crossfire compatibility.

From the research I've done, micro ATX will work, mini ITX won't. I'll look further. Anyone have suggestions on video cards?

I'm actually building this right now:
    Last edited by Drew; 02-20-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Drew's priorities - Merchanting > Roleplaying > Cybering > Being AFK > Cybering > Hunting
    (wrathbringer78) I think that's it. Viril is one big obnoxious ambient script.