Thread: Epistemology vs positivism....

Thumbs up Epistemology vs positivism....

...in the study of Latin American cultures. GO.

I have 10 hours to write a paper on this and I've been slacking a little in this class. I'm betting some of you guys know about this stuff. Anybody with any input is welcome. Links welcome. Songs, Churches, Bands, Poetry is welcome. Ruining my thread with naked man spam is welcome.

Helpful Keywords for context:

Central American poetry, songs, dance
    Baroque art (as a revolutionary expression)
    Baroque churches
    Hispanic and Latin US cultures
    Indigineous expressions in Central America
    Results of Spanish Conquest in Central America

Quote Originally Posted by RojoDisco View Post
    ...in the study of Latin American cultures. GO.

I have 10 hours to write a paper on this and I've been slacking a little in this class. I'm betting some of you guys know about this stuff. Anybody with any input is welcome. Links welcome. Songs, Churches, Bands, Poetry is welcome. Ruining my thread with naked man spam is welcome.

Helpful Keywords for context:

Central American poetry, songs, dance
    Baroque art (as a revolutionary expression)
    Baroque churches
    Hispanic and Latin US cultures
    Indigineous expressions in Central America
    Results of Spanish Conquest in Central America
    Gah! Uh, Barthalameu de las Casas and leyenda negra. And, um, me not being able to pronounce the "tl" click noise in the Nahautl language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anticor
    If you and Jar Jar Binks had a child it would rule the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Burrell
    Wikka wikka my nikka yo yo yo yo: CHECK IT. Tha thang in the thang and bedump bedump da BEBANG knowwhatIsayin?!

Thank you for that name!!! This must be fate. I had a whole bottle of black label with some Dominicans a few weeks ago and I'm taking this as a sign.

I'm going to go with The Mission, with Jeremy Irons and Robert Deniro.
    A.M.D.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Gan View Post
    D TEAM UNITE! YOUR HEAD CHEERLEADER IS CALLING, HIS ATTEMPTED RESCUE OF THEe IS FAILING.

Cool E. Thank you.

From that films Wiki. Plenty of inference material.

"The Mission is based on events surrounding the Treaty of Madrid in 1750, in which Spain ceded part of Jesuit Paraguay to Portugal. A significant subtext is the impending Suppression of the Jesuits, which the film's narrator, Cardinal Altamirano, is trying to prevent. Altamirano, speaking in hindsight in 1758, corresponds to the actual Andalusian Jesuit Father Luis Altamirano, who was sent by Jesuit Superior General Ignacio Visconti to Paraguay in 1752 to transfer territory from Spain to Portugal. He oversaw the transfer of seven missions south and east of the Río Uruguay, that had been settled by Guaranis and Jesuits in the 17th century. As compensation, Spain promised each mission 4,000 pesos, or fewer than 1 peso for each of the circa 30,000 Guaranis of the seven missions, while the cultivated lands, livestock, and buildings were estimated to be worth 7–16 million pesos. The film's climax is the Guarani War of 1754–1756, during which historical Guaranís defended their homes against Spanish-Portuguese forces implementing the Treaty of Madrid. For the film, a re-creation was made of one of the seven missions, São Miguel das Missões.[2]

Father Gabriel's character is loosely based on the life of Paraguayan saint and Jesuit Roque González de Santa Cruz. The story is taken from the book "The Lost Cities of Paraguay" by Father C. J. McNaspy, S.J., who was also a consultant on the film.[3]

The waterfall setting of the film suggests the combination of these events with the story of older missions, founded between 1610–1630 on the Paranapanema River above the Guaíra Falls, from which Paulista slave raids forced Guaranís and Jesuits to flee in 1631. The battle at the end of the film evokes the eight-day Battle of Mbororé in 1641, a battle fought on land as well as in boats on rivers, in which the Jesuit-organized, firearm-equipped Guaraní forces stopped the Paulista raiders.[2]

Thread: Epistemology vs positivism....
    HARD ANAL

reported for pretending to be Showal