Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking vs Hunting Rogue

Default Picking vs Hunting Rogue

I presently have my rogue to be 2x in picking and disarming, and she's a pretty good hunter. However I was curious of those rogues that are also decent hunters AND are 3x in picking and disarming.

I'm seriously considering reallocating in GS4 to just tripling since I tend to be more of a social butterfly and abhore hunting at times, and would prefer to sit around on my ass and pick all day and hunt on occasion. Gaining levels is not a huge necessity in my life, fun is, and picking is fun for me. However I wouldn't want to be a cripple if I choose to hunt on my own or with friends.

So in a nutshell, those who triple, what are your hunting tactics and skills?

[Edited on 10/2/2003 by CrystalTears]

It is possible, but you do skimp on some of the lesser skills. Depends on race as well. Considering how ambush is in GS4, tripling maybe what we are expected to do these days.
    Xcalibur - The fool that enter a fool's game is fooler.
    PB - 9000 is 95% of 18000

The way I had Edaarin styled before, he hunted just as well before as now as a pure redux rogue. That was with 3x pick/disarm, and keeping 3x hiding. What I gave up was had him only 1x'd in CM and 1.2x in armor (difference of 24 AS at level 48, which is almost negligible) and about 20% redux. All it meant was that I couldn't just hide and ambush at will, would have to wait for the critter to swing first and then hide, and if there was more than one in a room, no dice.

But you won't be able to be an excellent locksmith and decent hunter in GSIV. 3x pick/disarm/hide is 21/21, throw in 2x dodging/ambush/OHE/perception and that's another 18/18. You still need armor, shield, PT and tertiary skills. Insane. You could bump down hiding some, but we don't know anything about the hiding system.

[Edited on 10-2-2003 by Edaarin]

My rogue is a 2x disarm/pick/perception/ambush/OHB and 3x hide type. He picks well and hunts very well. Ohh yeah he 2x armor,1x shield and 1x CM too. He's a giant so the strength bonus helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkein View Post
    That is some weird shit.

Rowi is a pure redux hunter, not a single train in locksmithin. I leave that to the Butt sitting rogues.

I hunt, they pick! all works out even in the end.
    "Why don't you put on a wooden beak and pick shit with the rest of the chickens?"

I have a question... do you even really need dodging?

Wouldn't it be better to double in shields so you don't get hurt in the first place?

I play a ranger, but I'm considering skipping dodge altogether.
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

Baseline for a rogue is 1.5x shields AND 1.5x dodge. The way the DS system works now, Rogues are gonna pretty much need Dodge as well as the shield, unless you are going the 2x Armor route for Redux.

Baseline for rogues is 1.5x shield and 2x dodge.

With TWC though, Edaarin's DS at lvl 58 2x'ed in dodge is 234 in offensive with no shield training. Hm.

Yeah, TWC is looking like it finally can be a viable part of any square (or semi's) training path. My ranger is going that way *cough* like Drizzt *cough* the proper Drizzt *cough cough*

Um... what's TWC?