Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Melatonin

Default Melatonin

So I was given some Melatonin for my sleep disorder and I'm a little curious as to whether anyone has taken some or not. Anyone have some experience with this stuff?

I'm told to take 1 3mg tablet before bed.

Good place to ask, I'm sure there are a few of us on these forums that have dabbled in insomnia!

I've tried over the counter Melatonin, and it really didn't do anything at all for me. If yours is prescribed that might be a different story.
    Last edited by Gompers; 07-11-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: details

Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    Good place to ask, I'm sure there are a few of us on these forums that have dabbled in insomnia!
    Didn't even occur to me, ha ha.

Edit: Over the counter, 3 MG. It's what my doctor said to try and if that didn't work, take two. If that didn't work he'd subscribe something.
    Last edited by Reliel; 07-11-2012 at 06:06 PM.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    Mine has improved tremendously since I've started lifting again.

Yea, any type of sustained physical activity will help a whole lot with sleep. As far as the drugs go though, I never found anything that worked better for me than Ambien...but I found that to be very easy to become dependent on

It works for some people and not for others.

3mg puts me OUT. My MiL may as well take a baby aspirin, for all the good melatonin does her. Some people have good results mixing it with valerian root and/ or camomile.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSL View Post
    Pfft. The PC ain't nobody's friend.

I've heard lots of people have serious issues of dependency with Ambien and frankly I don't need to ween myself off of a sleep medicine that's meant to help me get over my lack of sleep. (Some people even said they had night terrors. I don't need any more of those.)

And holy shit it just hit me so yeah it must be working.

I never got dependent on Ambien, but it really does some interesting things. When I take ambien, I have about a 20 minute window to get my ass in the bed. If I miss that window, not only am I up all night, but I'm usually saying dumb shit I don't remember on lnet.
    Last edited by Aylien; 07-11-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSL View Post
    Pfft. The PC ain't nobody's friend.

Never had any sleep disorders. In fact I have the super power of being able to go to sleep anywhere, anytime, under any conditions and wake up refreshed in four hours. BUT, one of my brothers deals with insomnia and takes Melanonin. It works almost too well. He keeps 3 alarms clocks set at all times while sleeping, all very loud and far away from him. He takes it at the same time every evening and although his sleep is broken he is able to snag a healthy REM cycle and function normally as a machinist.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Reliel View Post
    I've heard lots of people have serious issues of dependency with Ambien .
    Talk to your doctor about that. I would call into question if it was used under the care of a physician and used in accordance to the prescription (Although dependance IS possible). I also run into cases all the time where someone has taken different hypnotics and tend to lump all hypnotics into one group(ie compare it to benzodiazepines like Valium (diazepam) which may have a higher rate of dependency).
    I know lots of people(including doctors) who recommend trying melatonin first and many say it works, but may not work at all for some. I personally have been meaning to get around to trying it as the only med that helps me at all is Ambien(zolpidiem) , although I take it rarely. My big problem with any sleep aid is by the time I could get around to taking it, I don't have a full 8 hours to devote to sleep even though Ambien tends to have much less of a hangover effect than other sedatives/hypnotics.