Thread: Capped sorcerer, what's next?

Default Capped sorcerer, what's next?

Um... title says it all... I want opinions.

I'm thinking going 2x perception next, but if someone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears. Here's my current build.

Code:
      Skill Name                         | Current Current
                                         |   Bonus   Ranks
      Armor Use..........................|      40       8
      Physical Fitness...................|     201     101
      Arcane Symbols.....................|     201     101
      Magic Item Use.....................|     201     101
      Spell Aiming.......................|     302     202
      Harness Power......................|     200     100
      Elemental Mana Control.............|     200     100
      Spirit Mana Control................|     200     100
      Sorcerous Lore - Demonology........|     152      52
      Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy........|     150      50
      Perception.........................|     201     101
      Climbing...........................|     140      40
      Swimming...........................|     170      70

Spell Lists
      Minor Elemental....................|              74

Spell Lists
      Minor Spirit.......................|              67

Spell Lists
      Sorcerer...........................|             162
    So... have at it. My sorcerer is hunting Nelemar currently. 3...2...1...GO!

In memory of Ken "Zzentar" Dumas.

Gibreficul

AIM = Lord Gibreficul

Why 2x perception? If you have a good reason, then go for it. If not, then based on your current training, I recommend that you rotate through a weighted training regimen in the following skills:

Harness power x1.5
    Magic item use x1
    Arcane symbols x1
    Elemental mana control x1
    Spirit mana control x1
    Either spiritual summoning or elemental lore x4
    Either demon lore or necromancy lore x1
    Combat maneuvers x1

Pick either elemental or spirit summoning lore and train in it until you are fully singled. Then you can decide whether to double in that lore. The primary benefit to elemental lore is DC. The primary benefit, IMHO, to spirit summoning lore is web bolt.

No matter which Sorcerer lore you choose, you might as well get 20 more ranks in necromancy to reach the capped like-level MAL threshold and to improve your use of FLD.

Also get at least two ranks of multi opponent combat.

decent advice all told.

Gib, you should drop 1 sorc spell and put that into MnS to give you 2 more DS, could probably even drop three and not see a hit to your sorc CS. If you aren't adverse to using a shield I'd say that next. Then combat maneuvers, no idea how big of an issue maneuvers are for you down there but it would make them less annoying if nothing else. After that finish off perception then see where you want to take your lores and max those out. Nindon brought up web bolt and I know how that tickles your fancy on your empath, if you think that is more worth while to add to your offense do that first.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeril View Post
    Gib, you should drop 1 sorc spell and put that into MnS to give you 2 more DS, could probably even drop three and not see a hit to your sorc CS.
    If you take Jeril's advice and drop a sorcerer spell rank, please let us know how that affects your sorcerer CS. There is some disagreement among sorcerers about the optimal number of spell ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeril View Post
    Gib, you should drop 1 sorc spell and put that into MnS to give you 2 more DS, could probably even drop three and not see a hit to your sorc CS. If you aren't adverse to using a shield I'd say that next. Then combat maneuvers, no idea how big of an issue maneuvers are for you down there but it would make them less annoying if nothing else. After that finish off perception then see where you want to take your lores and max those out. Nindon brought up web bolt and I know how that tickles your fancy on your empath, if you think that is more worth while to add to your offense do that first.
    I already played with spell ranks, and I found that what I have is "max" sorcerer CS. I could do a little more tinkering, but I just don't feel it is worth it. I am, in fact, adverse to using a shield. If and when I change from a runestaff, it's going to be for a bow and arrow so I can abuse Torment. I haven't done any serious testing on this, but taking away a critter's chance to disarm me is only giving them more reason to use the maneuvers that'll actually damage or kill me, like charge. As for web-bolt, I just don't see the need with the sorcerer. Maybe agaisnt elementals, but even that seems like a long shot when focus implode is working pretty well, and would still be needed to finish them. Also, the 700s circle has enough quality crowd control and setup spells that it doesn't seem needed. All that stuff is good advice, and obviously the reason I'm asking opinions on this. I feel the core of my sorcerer's build is complete. It's all about expanding to a more customized and unique build, and what direction to go in first. Of all the advice given, I'm maybe liking the necro lore for animation the best. Still, I feel like I need perception (and eventually some survival) to forage for the moonflowers so I can do the entire process myself.

Quote Originally Posted by nindon View Post
    If you take Jeril's advice and drop a sorcerer spell rank, please let us know how that affects your sorcerer CS. There is some disagreement among sorcerers about the optimal number of spell ranks.
    The reason there's disagreement is that people min/max for different things. Defense isn't an issue in my world. It's all about sorcerer CS. No matter which way you slice it, there's an "extra" spell rank in that pool of 303, and I chose to put it into Minor Elemental for that extra Elemental TD. If I do any testing in the future, I'll actually document it and share my findings. I'm pretty sure that other than that 1 extra MnE spell rank, if I drop a rank in any spell circle, my sorc CS takes a hit.

Gibreficul

AIM = Lord Gibreficul

Quote Originally Posted by Gibreficul View Post
    Still, I feel like I need perception (and eventually some survival) to forage for the moonflowers so I can do the entire process myself.
    Do yourself a favor and just roll a ranger or empath. It's stupidly annoying and time-consuming (scripted or not) to try to get it done with the sorcerer. It's a really poor, outdated formula, but profession weighs pretty heavily it seems.

Profession mods via Krakii:
    30, Ranger, empath; 20, warrior; 15, cleric; 10, rogue, paladin, bard; 0, wizard, sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    Do yourself a favor and just roll a ranger or empath. It's stupidly annoying and time-consuming (scripted or not) to try to get it done with the sorcerer. It's a really poor, outdated formula, but profession weighs pretty heavily it seems.

Profession mods via Krakii:
    30, Ranger, empath; 20, warrior; 15, cleric; 10, rogue, paladin, bard; 0, wizard, sorcerer
    I haz rogue!

Gibreficul

AIM = Lord Gibreficul

I know this thread is old, but I'm pretty sure if you migrate your spells to 159 Sor, 67 MnS, 77 MnE, you'll have the exact same CS but gain +1DS/eTD. Someone correct me if my math is off, or if I've misunderstood the formula.

162/74/67 CS spell rank contribution:
    100 + 20(0.75) + 40(0.05) + round[2(0.25)]
    + 66/3 + roundup(8/10)
    + 66/3 + roundup(1/10)
    = 182

159/77/67 CS spell rank contribution:
    100 + 20(0.75) + round[39(0.05)]
    + 66/3 + roundup(11/10)
    + 66/3 + roundup(1/10)
    = 182