Thread: Polearm/Pure Bard...

Exclamation Polearm/Pure Bard...

I am coming back after a 4 year or so break and wanted some advice on my current training path. This is my bard who I am leveling currently as polearm but with plans eventually to go pure. You can see this from my stats. Are my stats OK for a future pure? Is my polearm training path OK?

Thanks!

Name: XXX Race: Dark Elf Profession: Bard (not shown)
    Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
    Strength (STR): 79 (14) ... 79 (14)
    Constitution (CON): 59 (-1) ... 59 (-1)
    Dexterity (DEX): 66 (18) ... 66 (18)
    Agility (AGI): 85 (22) ... 85 (22)
    Discipline (DIS): 64 (-3) ... 64 (-3)
    Aura (AUR): 96 (33) ... 96 (33)
    Logic (LOG): 83 (16) ... 83 (16)
    Intuition (INT): 52 (6) ... 52 (6)
    Wisdom (WIS): 61 (10) ... 61 (10)
    Influence (INF): 96 (18) ... 96 (18)
    Mana: 79 Silver: 284

J>skills
    XXXX (at level 23), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Armor Use..........................| 102 24
    Combat Maneuvers...................| 102 24
    Polearm Weapons....................| 150 50
    Multi Opponent Combat..............| 96 22
    Physical Fitness...................| 99 23
    Harness Power......................| 99 23
    Mental Mana Control................| 54 11
    Elemental Lore - Air...............| 99 23
    Climbing...........................| 70 15
    Swimming...........................| 25 5

Spell Lists
    Minor Elemental....................| 7

Spell Lists
    Bard...............................| 23
    Training Points: 26 Phy 20 Mnt
    (Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

0 days remain until the annual FIXSKILLS is to be granted.

Your 30 day migration period will begin when you choose to degrade a skill.

I have a fixskills available, but if its not necessary I would save it if I can go pure in the next 10 levels or so.

2. Default

The stats aren't optimal, but that doesn't mean you can't be successful with them. You can always get a potion to fix that later on.

I play a polearm bard (63). With my training, I singled in Dodging and cut back on MOC. I plan to catch up on that later.

I trained in cman feint to 5 ranks as my first cm.

For spells, I trained to 1012 for my sonic lance then went up to 430 on the minor elemental list before switching back to the bard spell circle.

I haven't played a pure bard, so others will likely have better advice in that regard.

Cheers,

Gil

I'm not a fan of feint, but quite a few are. You might try dirtkick as a decent alternative with a variety of other status effects besides simply stancing a critter some. The only time I'd use feint is if I didn't have enough mana for 1005 AND I was a lower trained bard, which you are. I prefer charge well over feint or dirtkick but it's stamina intensive and it's real effectiveness really only starts around 3 ranks. I used sweep from level 25 (or so) to 100. It doesn't work against all critters but certainly most. Those are the two I'd use early on switching to charge as you move up in levels.

Cmans really are about personal preference and style. Some bards swear by cheapshots. Regardless, you want a cman that can create RT for your opponent. In my mind, that's as critical as stancing, stunning or proning.

Lastly, you have to single dodge. Anything less just invites deaths in my opinion. You're overtrained on spells, single them as a polearm user. You could tone down the MoC some (15 ranks if more than you need at 23 and still puts you on pace for 30 ranks at level 42ish), if you like, to get more points for dodge.
    Last edited by Drakefang; 05-20-2012 at 02:42 PM.
    - Galenok

"I'm your huckleberry."

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Doesn't quite help the issue of looking like a tard as you run around singing at things. Other than that, you're golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by NocturnalRob View Post
    If by "singing at," you mean "skull fucking," then yes, you are correct. Bards fucking own.

Thanks for the advice. My stats are intended for a pure bard, so i realize they are not ideal to continue the polearm/physical combat training path. However, its too soon to go pure so I will have to stick with it.

Anyone know when its feasible to go pure bard as a CoL user (2 mana bars with wracking).